GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A Gamer's Paradise"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 30/06/02 at 20:40
Regular
Where to turn, what to buy, what can a 21st century gamer do? A 21st century gamer has the greatest choice of consoles that there has ever been but sometimes we wonder which one to buy? With each console containing its own pros and cons it is hard to choose which will be the right one, we are stranded on a Paradise island known as "Gamers Paradise" and at the moment we all want to stay forever!

Gaming has never looked so good or has ever been as widely advertised as it is now and like most of us, we all had a dilemma when it came down to choosing which would be the right console. With one console already settled into the market two "new comers" would have to utilise all of its marketing power available, the result, "A Gamers Paradise".

The Xbox:

Microsoft are no strangers when it comes to computer products as they have controlled the PC market for over 10 years now, but a console was a giant step into next generation gaming. The console is aimed at the more "mature" generation of gamers with the recommended age at 15. Bringing a whole new perspective to the gaming world Microsoft have brought the new dimension of a built in Hard Drive which is used to enhance the way in which we game. After not selling too well after the launch the company is finally on the up with sales picking up world wide. In my opinion the console tries to reach out to the mature aspect of gamers with titles like 'Halo', 'Project Gotham Racing', 'Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding', 'Jet Set Radio Future' and 'Max Payne'. With 200 games promised before this Christmas the console is looking into the future, Xbox Live is due for release next Spring and there are plans to able gamers to download demos, extra levels and characters and the ability to challenger gamers across the net in a fast, safe and highly enjoyable environment. The future looks very bright indeed for the console and with $2 billion invested for the next 2 years expect to see a lot more of what this console can do over the coming months.

GameCube:

Very experienced in delivering a superbly enjoyable gaming market, Nintendo strike again with a console to challenge the rest. Unlike its challengers the GameCube has chosen not to include a Hard Drive (although one is in the making), keep memory cards and not give gamers a chance to watch DVD's through their console, the result is a very affordable console which can deliver some top titles as well as keeping up with an ever growing gaming market. Nintendo have always focused on the fun side of gaming and with characters like 'Mario', 'Luigi', 'Zelda' and Donkey Kong the console is easily recognizable world wide. The console has always aimed at the younger generation of gamers, but with a new generation of Nintendo titles like the newly purchased 'Resident Evil' series which although "old hat" is still a very popular and highly enjoyed franchise. Nintendo have taken a step which no other console has done and that is by giving us a price which is not only affordable but a joy to see in a market where money prevails and sometimes the gamer loses out. With titles like 'Perfect Dark Zero', 'Resident Evil' and 'Metroid Prime' out/due out the future of the console looks very strong and knowing Nintendo there will be plenty more to come in the future!

PS2:

Sony have dominated console gaming now for the past 5 years, the 'PSONE' was a huge success which started off an age of 3D gaming which since then we have never looked back on. Sony opened up the gaming market back in the October 2000 with a console which shook the gaming world, since then the challenge up against it has been very hard. With the inclusion of a built in DVD player the console so far is out selling its counter parts but the true test is how it will handle the competition from the other 2 major players on the market. Already the PS2 has delivered some truly amazing and ground breaking titles, 'Metal Gear Solid 2', 'Grand Theft Auto 3', 'Devil May Cry', 'Tekken Tag Tournament', 'Pro Evolution Soccer' and 'Gran Turismo 3'. The future of the PS2 looks reasonably good and with companies developing more and more games each day the consoles library is extending even further. The next major title due out is 'Tekken 4' which is set for release on September 4th, this will extend the list of games even further, not only is this game going to be good it is set to be a ground breaker!

When choosing the right console it is important to consider what it has to offer both now and what is out in the future. With 3 top consoles all challenging for the number 1 spot developers are looking to deliver something that the other consoles can not do, so far the Xbox has had 'Halo' which is possibly the greatest game I have every played and is definitely worth playing. The GameCube has brought us 'Star Wars Rouge Squadron' and 'Super Smash Brothers', 2 very enjoyable games that have helped to push the market one step further in the right direction. The PS2 already has an array of top titles out, but with 2 super powers challenging this the future of the PS2 is not yet known, but with titles such as 'Tekken 4' and 'Metal Gear Solid Substance' due for release this year the console is keeping up in a market where "money prevails". Our "Paradise Island" is looking greater every day, the only hard thing to do is choose and in this case it is very hard indeed. What does a 21st century gamer buy, where does a 21st century gamer turn? Wherever they turn or whatever they do they will still be a winner!
Tue 02/07/02 at 12:29
Regular
Whatever console you like, it dont matter, there is NO "best console"
Tue 02/07/02 at 09:53
Regular
"everyone says it"
Best console - Gamecube

Reasons - Its selling the most and making me look good at work.

:-D
Tue 02/07/02 at 09:46
Regular
Tyla wrote:

> Again... I like them all, it's dependent on mood. Just because I don't
> play "mature" rated games 100% of the time doesn't mean I'm
> imature... Again, this was the point I was trying to make.

I am not saying your immature, I think the word "Mature" is'nt really a good word to use when classifying games.
Tue 02/07/02 at 09:28
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
gamezfreak wrote:
> Ok tyla, u have your opinion we'll have ours. OK? Read the topic at
> the start, it says whtever console you choose, its the one you'll be
> happy with. If your happy with the Gamecube, fair enough thats your
> choice of console.

I did read that, but my point was that I have no preference. I chose them ALL? I like neither box over the other, it that a concept too difficult to understand?

> Like Garbe said, Colorful cartoony games are more for the child
> audience, fair enough if you like them So be it, thast your choice of
> games.

Again... I like them all, it's dependent on mood. Just because I don't play "mature" rated games 100% of the time doesn't mean I'm imature... Again, this was the point I was trying to make.

Why do you all spend so much time trying to justify your gaming choices when ist really doesn't matter? And worse of all, your all trying to justify your maturity? I just don't get it? The post insinuated that depending on your choice of Box, decided on how mature you are? Weather I own a GC, PS2 or XBOX does not affect the out come of my maturity, that is decided my age, experience and mentality.

Yes, certain games are aimed at older audiences, but this is because of their content and futile restrictions by the BBFC! But at the end of the day, it comes down to money, and the money is in the 21-35 yr old bracket, hence why MS are targeting that area of the market.

I said I wasn't going to decend into a futile debate with a bunch of kids on this topic, but it's obvious that you poor blinkered minds are set on your console and your spending all your time justifying it to yourselves (similar to the N64 Following)... I'm off to find Wookie, at least he's intelligent enough to debate with properly
Tue 02/07/02 at 08:56
Regular
Ok tyla, u have your opinion we'll have ours. OK? Read the topic at the start, it says whtever console you choose, its the one you'll be happy with. If your happy with the Gamecube, fair enough thats your choice of console.

Like Garbe said, Colorful cartoony games are more for the child audience, fair enough if you like them So be it, thast your choice of games.
Tue 02/07/02 at 08:51
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
garbe123 wrote:
> One query is, why do Ninties come in here to protest how great their console is, if it is that great why aren't they playing it? I don't go into the Nintendo forum and say how good the Xbox is becuase actions speak
louder than words. I hope you do enjoy playing your console as much as
I do becuase then we will all be happy!

Lets clear one thing up now... I'm no "Ninty" I'm a "Gamer" Like I said, I couldn't care if I was playing on an XBOX, GCN, NES or Joe Bloggs Coffee Table, as long as the game appeals to me then I'm happy. (but I am starting to have problems connecting all my boxes up to the one TV!)

>Tyla, Tyla, Tyla, what shall we do with you? I have a memeber of my >family who is 25 and to be honest I am more mature than he is and I am >15! He would be happy to play a GameCube and finish Luigi's Mansion like >I did in 3 hours 57 minutes. We are not the only ones who think the Xbox >is aimed at the older generation of gamers, Microsoft and 3rd party >companies have stated the same.

Oddly enough, they have all stated that their "consoles" are aimed at a mature audience, and why not, that's where the money is, especially after SONY created that area of the market. Just because your family member enjoys playing LM doesn't make him less mature than you, could it possibly be because they enjoy the title?

I get just as much fun out of severing people in Sof as I do trying to whoop my mates in SMB. It about what mood I'm in. If I've had a crap day at work there's nothing more fun than dismembering bodies with high powered weaponary in something like Q3 or UT or beating up Hoe's in GTA3... if I've had an alright day, then maybe GT3, SRL2 or SMB.

People spend to much time on here going on and on about "specs2, "mines better tha yours", "mine's the greatest", this does A B and C? Yet you all forget that gaming is about "games" and the fun you have playing them.

There is no relevance about "maturity" in gaming. OK the BBFC licence a lot of them, but then so are films but your no less mature for watching a 12 rated film than an 18 reated one, it's all about enjoyment.

My original post was about this "enjoyment" and "appeal" it had nothing to do with which console was better than which, though I have noticed that you are pretty "defensive" about anyone slating the XBOX. And just to remind you here... I AM AN XBOX OWNER! But after reading previous posts from you, I will not stoop to engaging into a debate with you, you and Wookie (Another XBOX Owner) have enough of them as it is!

BTW

You also mentioned about the GCN being purple... I was quite chuffed with the purple one especially as the wife and I had just finished decorating our flat, which oddly enough, happens to be purple! So it made a change to corodinate my console with my home...
Mon 01/07/02 at 21:54
Regular
"accidental superher"
well i'm not sure whether i'd like those GC games...but i really like the look of RESI EVIL and am looking forward to some of the FF exclusives
Mon 01/07/02 at 21:47
Regular
Well that is the opposite of me, but whatever you enjoy is what you should get! I was considering just to play Resident Evil but I am not forking out £150 for that.
Mon 01/07/02 at 21:42
Regular
"accidental superher"
i am planning to get a gamecube...just not sure when i'll get it...
i'm interested in playing games like super monkey ball, pikmin, super smash bros melee, luigi's mansion, wave race and rogue leader 2
just to see what they're like after hearing such good things about them...they're not USUALLY my sort of game...but if i gave them a chance i'm sure i'd enjoy them...
Mon 01/07/02 at 21:32
Regular
The only reason I would get a GameCube would be to play Resident Evil and there is no way I am paying over £150 for that!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.