GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I totally agree with this..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 30/06/02 at 09:40
Regular
This is an interview with Mark Madden, who formerly worked with WcW. I posted it here because in my opinion it highlights perfectly everythjing that's wrong at the moment. Read it and see if you nod your head in agreement like me...

The World Wrestling Federation recently lost a lawsuit that forced it to change its name to World Wrestling Entertainment.

Kind of funny, since every trace of entertainment has been purged from the company's product.

Stone Cold Steve Austin quit. The Rock has put wrestling on the back burner while he pursues a movie career. Has-beens such as Hulk Hogan and the Undertaker dominate way too much television time, as does the owner, who happens to sport a physique Ken Caminiti would be proud of. New stars get politically sabotaged by more established wrestlers looking to keep their top spots (and top paychecks).

The story lines veer between tragically trite and spectacularly stupid, done to please a handful of Internet insiders instead of the masses that matter. The creative team is headed by the boss' daughter, a failed Hollywood joke writer, and a man who, in his previous job, ran the wrestling promotion he owned into bankruptcy. I guess the people who scripted "Joanie Loves Chachi" weren't available.

Events that would draw a good TV rating or make money on pay-per-view after several weeks' worth of buildup have been given away as "surprises," i.e., out of desperation. As a result, the return of The Rock, the return of Shawn Michaels, and a match between Vince McMahon and Ric Flair for "sole ownership of WWE" made little or no impact on the company's seemingly unstoppable downhill slide.

Vince Russo, the man who creatively resurrected WWE in the late 1990s, was brought back to the company last week -- then hastily put in an insignificant role as "consultant" because he wanted to change things drastically. Er, Mr. McMahon ... your TV ratings, pay-per-view buy rates and live attendance are all plummeting. It seems to me that drastically changing things might be a good idea.

I worked seven years for now-defunct World Championship Wrestling. I saw everything that happened that led to the company going out of business. The same things are happening at WWE.

But they're happening quicker. WWE was once a billion-dollar company. But the way things are going, WWE could be out of business within a year or two.

Luckily for Mr. McMahon, I've got the answer to his problems: Kurt Angle. That's right, Pittsburgh's own.

WWE too often goes back and forth between "work" and "shoot," i.e., between story lines and reality, and it stinks. Everyone knows wrestling is fake. But no one wants that fact rubbed in his/her face during the course of watching wrestling. The great unwashed wants to suspend disbelief, and WWE doesn't allow them to do so. If you keep reminding everyone that it's fake, how are viewers supposed to care about who wins or loses? Or about any "personal issue" between the wrestlers?

But Angle is the ideal blend of "work" and "shoot." He has mastered the art of pro wrestling. No one is better in the ring. Few are better on the microphone. He looks terrific. He's not overexposed. Angle rivals Ric Flair at his peak when it comes to making opponents look good. And, either because of naivete or genuine unselfishness, Angle is one of a small minority of wrestlers readily willing to do so.

If you like a splash of reality with your shot of fake wrestling, Angle wrestled his way to Olympic gold in 1996. He is a totally credible performer.

Angle should be made WWE's No. 1 star. Period. He is that good.

So naturally, WWE presents Angle as a clown. Angle recently lost a "loser gets his head shaved" match, so he started coming to the ring wearing a wig held in place by amateur wrestling headgear and claiming his hair had grown back instantly.

Angle is constantly made to look stupid, so constantly that it's not even funny anymore.

But the Undertaker, for example, is made to look like an indomitable monster. WWE has an Olympic champion who is still fresh in the fans' eyes, and they have a cliched, overexposed Hell's Angel wannabe. WWE gives the credibility and a top spot to the latter. And to Hogan, a pathetic cripple whom I could beat in a foot race.

Guys like 'Taker and Hogan, of course, have "paid their dues," which gives them the right to go on TV and kill the ratings as long as they can draw breath. I'm not kidding. That's the thought process in WWE.

Of course, pro wrestling could never disappear. No need to worry about that. Roller Derby endured a few rough patches, but now, er ... OK, so it's gone for good. Bad example.

It's not impossible to create new stars. Austin once sported a lame persona called The Ringmaster. The Rock, as Rocky Maivia, used to be midcard tripe. It's merely a matter of spotting talent, trusting talent, having good creative instincts and not worrying about hurting some has-been's feelings.

Kurt Angle vs. Brock Lesnar, the behemoth former NCAA wrestling champion, must be the future of WWE.

Otherwise WWE might have very little future left.

I found myself nodding my head with everything he said. There have rumours recently that Kurt Angle might be made an 'old school' champion where he defends against faces and heels.

What do you think of that and the article? It'll be interesting to see what you think is wrong with the WWE at the moment.
Wed 03/07/02 at 20:31
Regular
"One More Chance"
MikeAll wrote:
> To quote Elvis the WWE needs, "A little less coversation a little
> more action."

Heh, very nicely done. I liked that.
Wed 03/07/02 at 20:28
Regular
"Where's SR?"
A lot of wrestlers do not have enough original personality just so called 'attitude' and their gimmicks seem to have no effect on matches. Storylines are played out in promos rather than matches and the matches themselves seem pointless.

To quote Elvis the WWE needs, "A little less coversation a little more action."
Sun 30/06/02 at 22:55
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I think Rob Van Dam deserves more than he's getting at the moment. He certainly deserved to be KOTR over Brock Lesner. RVD vs Chris Jericho was the only decent match in the whole event. I would have skipped a lot of it but I was watching it as it happened with my cousin.

I hope Benoit gets plenty of attention too. I think Lesner really needs to lose Heyman at some point soon too cause its getting boring watching Heyman butt in to get Lesner the victory in every match he's in.

I'm not exactly a fan of the likes of Angle, Jericho and Eddie Guererro, but all these deserve to be at the top too. Think the spotlight needs to go more on the skilled wrestlers rather than the ones that are just great at shouting crap down the microphone.

I think Lesner has great potential, but at the same time I don't think he deserves to jump the queue like he has.
Sun 30/06/02 at 14:18
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
The Best Looking Bigman! I MISS HIM!

Anyways, yeah, he speaks a lot of sense; but I disagree with him about Lesnar. They need to leave him in the midcard, work on his selling, make him cut promos...rather than just immediately market him as God. Take guys like Booker T and Edge, perfectly over guys...push them to the ME.

I would have said Jericho too, but after the recent temper tantrum I'm less sure.
Sun 30/06/02 at 13:01
Regular
"Woo Hoo!"
Oops. The next PPV is Vengance. The Undertaker should lose the title then, and Jericho vs Edge will face each other as well. But th way thing are going I may just not bother watching it. I skipped half of KOTR (I taped it).
Sun 30/06/02 at 12:52
Regular
"Woo Hoo!"
I must say that I agree with everything that is said in this topic. I would like to see people like Angle, Jericho and Edge get a boost to the top status of the company. Hogan I way to old to be wrestling Vince should have just let him retire and be done with it. I also think that the Undertaker should lose his title at Fully Loaded to Angle I think, because I can see that it will be Edge vs Jericho at Fully Loaded, No1 Contender maybe. Giving Brock Lesnar a boost is not the way to do things. They should do something with the nWo as well. Its supposed to be the most feared group in the company. Huh. They haven't dont anything. I think thats all.
Sun 30/06/02 at 11:02
Regular
"I like cheese"
Angle and Jericho are the future of WWE main eventers, and yet they're made to look like idiots against people like Hogan who's old enough to be my Grandad, and Triple H who has so many bandages on him he could be the star of The Mummy 3.

Undertaker most lose his title at Fully Loaded, but please, don't give it to HHH, or even the Rock. Angle, Jericho, even Edge would be fine, but with the latter in a feud it looks like it will have to be Angle.
Sun 30/06/02 at 09:40
Regular
This is an interview with Mark Madden, who formerly worked with WcW. I posted it here because in my opinion it highlights perfectly everythjing that's wrong at the moment. Read it and see if you nod your head in agreement like me...

The World Wrestling Federation recently lost a lawsuit that forced it to change its name to World Wrestling Entertainment.

Kind of funny, since every trace of entertainment has been purged from the company's product.

Stone Cold Steve Austin quit. The Rock has put wrestling on the back burner while he pursues a movie career. Has-beens such as Hulk Hogan and the Undertaker dominate way too much television time, as does the owner, who happens to sport a physique Ken Caminiti would be proud of. New stars get politically sabotaged by more established wrestlers looking to keep their top spots (and top paychecks).

The story lines veer between tragically trite and spectacularly stupid, done to please a handful of Internet insiders instead of the masses that matter. The creative team is headed by the boss' daughter, a failed Hollywood joke writer, and a man who, in his previous job, ran the wrestling promotion he owned into bankruptcy. I guess the people who scripted "Joanie Loves Chachi" weren't available.

Events that would draw a good TV rating or make money on pay-per-view after several weeks' worth of buildup have been given away as "surprises," i.e., out of desperation. As a result, the return of The Rock, the return of Shawn Michaels, and a match between Vince McMahon and Ric Flair for "sole ownership of WWE" made little or no impact on the company's seemingly unstoppable downhill slide.

Vince Russo, the man who creatively resurrected WWE in the late 1990s, was brought back to the company last week -- then hastily put in an insignificant role as "consultant" because he wanted to change things drastically. Er, Mr. McMahon ... your TV ratings, pay-per-view buy rates and live attendance are all plummeting. It seems to me that drastically changing things might be a good idea.

I worked seven years for now-defunct World Championship Wrestling. I saw everything that happened that led to the company going out of business. The same things are happening at WWE.

But they're happening quicker. WWE was once a billion-dollar company. But the way things are going, WWE could be out of business within a year or two.

Luckily for Mr. McMahon, I've got the answer to his problems: Kurt Angle. That's right, Pittsburgh's own.

WWE too often goes back and forth between "work" and "shoot," i.e., between story lines and reality, and it stinks. Everyone knows wrestling is fake. But no one wants that fact rubbed in his/her face during the course of watching wrestling. The great unwashed wants to suspend disbelief, and WWE doesn't allow them to do so. If you keep reminding everyone that it's fake, how are viewers supposed to care about who wins or loses? Or about any "personal issue" between the wrestlers?

But Angle is the ideal blend of "work" and "shoot." He has mastered the art of pro wrestling. No one is better in the ring. Few are better on the microphone. He looks terrific. He's not overexposed. Angle rivals Ric Flair at his peak when it comes to making opponents look good. And, either because of naivete or genuine unselfishness, Angle is one of a small minority of wrestlers readily willing to do so.

If you like a splash of reality with your shot of fake wrestling, Angle wrestled his way to Olympic gold in 1996. He is a totally credible performer.

Angle should be made WWE's No. 1 star. Period. He is that good.

So naturally, WWE presents Angle as a clown. Angle recently lost a "loser gets his head shaved" match, so he started coming to the ring wearing a wig held in place by amateur wrestling headgear and claiming his hair had grown back instantly.

Angle is constantly made to look stupid, so constantly that it's not even funny anymore.

But the Undertaker, for example, is made to look like an indomitable monster. WWE has an Olympic champion who is still fresh in the fans' eyes, and they have a cliched, overexposed Hell's Angel wannabe. WWE gives the credibility and a top spot to the latter. And to Hogan, a pathetic cripple whom I could beat in a foot race.

Guys like 'Taker and Hogan, of course, have "paid their dues," which gives them the right to go on TV and kill the ratings as long as they can draw breath. I'm not kidding. That's the thought process in WWE.

Of course, pro wrestling could never disappear. No need to worry about that. Roller Derby endured a few rough patches, but now, er ... OK, so it's gone for good. Bad example.

It's not impossible to create new stars. Austin once sported a lame persona called The Ringmaster. The Rock, as Rocky Maivia, used to be midcard tripe. It's merely a matter of spotting talent, trusting talent, having good creative instincts and not worrying about hurting some has-been's feelings.

Kurt Angle vs. Brock Lesnar, the behemoth former NCAA wrestling champion, must be the future of WWE.

Otherwise WWE might have very little future left.

I found myself nodding my head with everything he said. There have rumours recently that Kurt Angle might be made an 'old school' champion where he defends against faces and heels.

What do you think of that and the article? It'll be interesting to see what you think is wrong with the WWE at the moment.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.