GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Ideal Job?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 29/06/02 at 21:26
Regular
What would be your ideal career choice? Many of us dream to help further enhance our knowledge of the galaxy and become astronauts (HA!). Some of us would rather assist mankind's war with illnesses and become doctors. Some of us would even like to spend 24 hours a day wallowing around in pig muck and saying "Ooh ar!" for a living (that's a farmer for anyone unlucky enough to have attended private school).

But what would your dream job be?

Me? Well, it would of course have to be someone connected with gaming somehow. For a start, I'm into drawing cartoons and sci-fi... stuff. So a job on a design team of a games developer would be an amazing experience and oppitunity for me to "strut my stuff" as it were, and get payed to do it. It's sort of a dream of mine to actually have a game concept that I've dreamt up become a reality and appear on a games console. For me, that really would be something that would make my life complete. I'd happily work in Tesco Extra for the rest of my life if I had only one game idea released upon the world... unless I was offered to turn more ideas into games.

What else? Well, feel free to slap me around the chops for saying this, but as well as playing games, I also enjoy writing and am currently taking English Language at school for AS Level and hopefully A Level... so games journalism would be an ideal job. To work for a games magazine (preferably a Nintendo one) and get payed to sit around all day playing some of the best games ever made and then write about them would be a dream come true. Also, just think about the oppitunities to travel to the likes of Spaceworld in Tokyo, or E3 in... Los Angeles (I think, feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken). Plus, if NGC Magazine is anything to go by, working at a games magazine is a more-than-relatively fun experience.

I'm a fan of Marvel characters. So working on a comic similar in style to the Incredible Hulk, X-Men, the Fantastic Four or (swoon!) Spider-Man would be just great! I'm currently working on creating a new Marvel-esque comic strip. It's a real challenge because a lot of the good ideas have already been taken, so coming up with original ideas is hard work... but I enjoy it nevertheless and would just love to be given a chance to have my work published.

Lastly... GAMES TESTERS!!! Imagine it! Being payed to PLAY GAMES ALL DAY LONG! Admittedly, it's not as glamarous as it first seems, seeing as testers have to test every given situation and sit there pressing buttons monotonously for quite some time... but the advantage of being able to play the best games before anyone else would DEFINATELY make up for it.

So that's it. It wasn't particularly riveting, rollocking or... interesting, but I got it off my chest. And it was games related, so no complaints. There ya go!

Mon 01/07/02 at 15:59
Regular
"Bobba you"
My ideal job would be a games tester. Sitting there all day. Thats the job for me!
Mon 01/07/02 at 15:36
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
I like the job that i do. I don't get paid much though :(
Mon 01/07/02 at 15:23
"MMMMM, Chicken"
I have to say that my ideal job would be as a screenwriter/director/producer, you'd get to make your films, your way, and hopefully get a lot of money while entertaining people - what could be better!
Mon 01/07/02 at 15:05
I love doing Web design.

I studied to be a Graphic Designer but it was increasingly frustrating that you only get to see your final product (your conclusion) right at he very end of countless hours of research and tinkering.

With Web Design it is very easy to check what your finished product is going to look like at any time in the design process.

Some sort of web related gubbings would be perfect for me.
Mon 01/07/02 at 14:52
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
doublezero wrote:
> Sorry, i'll go and stand in the corner and think about what I have
> done...

lol... no, I didnt mean, grow up!!!...

More that I hadnt realised that growing up was an option???

I thought it was something that happened to other people?
Mon 01/07/02 at 14:47
Regular
"cant think of one.."
Armatige Shanks wrote:
> Grow up???

Sorry, i'll go and stand in the corner and think about what I have done...
Mon 01/07/02 at 14:46
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Grow up???
Mon 01/07/02 at 14:36
Regular
"cant think of one.."
I'd still say 'Playboy Chief Photographer'
Mon 01/07/02 at 11:48
The ideal job will involve unlimited happiness. coupled with enough moolah to last a lifetime. And some interest in the job in question, as well as a lot of spare time.
Mon 01/07/02 at 11:48
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
As long as it pays lots of cash im not that bothered.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.