GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Large amount of defective PS2's in USA"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 06/11/00 at 16:57
Regular
I am hearing many horrible storys about PS2's in America that have defective DVD drives or Trays that stick.

I will be mortified if I manage to get my PS2 on release day and then when I get it home I find out that it does not work!!! Please God let Sony sort this mess out before they release the machines here.

The lack of machines makes this problem of even greater significance as if you get a dodgy machine then you would not have much chance of getting a replacement until after the new year. If that happen it would ruin my whole christmas.

Sony, I beg of you, dont bite the hand that feeds you (breaks down on the floor and weeps) (cue haunting violin music as camera pans out to leave Matt weeping in the centre surrounding by leaves blowing in the wind).
Thu 08/05/08 at 07:38
Regular
This idea is kicking off as we speak! More info on General Chat thread "SuperHero/Villain Suggestions?"!
Mon 14/04/08 at 20:35
Regular
Oh-oh!!

How about a guy who is quite big, and quite strong.

I think your next comic should have him in it!!!

:)
Thu 10/04/08 at 08:44
Regular
sounds like a good idea to me. good way to keep people happy
Wed 09/04/08 at 13:48
Regular
Hi again guys! Looking for your input on an idea I've been thinking about which I'm thinking I might make into a regular feature, or at least a one shot!

Basically, the idea would be that, I would provide a place for people to post ideas. The ideas can be up to you, perhaps it's a new villain you think might be funny, or a hero, or even if it's just a super power! I'll take the ideas, and every few months I'll take the 3 best ones I find, and draw up characters based on these.

I'll then make a poll (probably via Bebo/MySpace or something) where people can go to vote on the 3 characters, whoever gets the most votes will get a comic written about the character (with credit given of course!)

What you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea?
Mon 20/11/00 at 14:12
Has anyone actually heard yet, what caused this problem in the US? Or roughly what percentage were defective?

All those months in Japan with no problems, and then suddenly defective drives in the US? Surely there must have been some kind of announcement?
Tue 14/11/00 at 20:19
DONT! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON'T GET SONY AND SEGA IN THE SAME CONVERSATION!

Last time I did this, there was a big, horrible war. No kidding, a BIG war. People got hurt.
Wed 08/11/00 at 21:27
Regular
I wrote:
> > Sega deserved to lose with the Saturn as it was overpriced,
> > underhyped and uncompetetive.

I said UNDERhyped but I meant OVERhyped. Sorry about that.
Tue 07/11/00 at 22:06
Regular
Thank you for complimenting me, *sniff*, I've gone all emotional now...

I won't write any more, as I'll end up writing loads.

I will. I'm telling you.
Tue 07/11/00 at 22:05
> Sega deserved to lose with the Saturn as it was overpriced,
> underhyped and uncompetetive.

Hang on - you moan at Sony for the PS2 hype, but you slate Sega for under-hyping Saturn?

Oh well, never mind.

> For starters, the Dreamcast didn't get nearly as much success as
> it deserved

"Didn't"? Stop talking past-tense - it's not dead yet! Far from it, I reckon.

> I may be wrong but I'm not convinced that the PS2 has what it
> takes...

Deathwish? Nah. It's your opinion, and it's perfectly valid.

There... that's surprised you, I bet.
Tue 07/11/00 at 21:55
Grix, great post.

I suppose it's a matter of interpretation. I can see what you're saying, but I still see it as Sony having done nothing more than hire a very clever advertising company - remember, no-one makes their own adverts.

Anyway, I can quite honestly say that I wasn't sucked in by Sony's ads. As I've said, I originally went to buy a Saturn and a copy of Panzer Dragoon, because I'd seen Sega's ad, and was impressed. It was only when I saw the PlayStation running Wipeout that I decided I wanted *that* game instead, so I bought a PS. At that time, I'd never even heard of the machine - but seeing it running made me want it.

Obviously I can't and don't speak for all PS owners, but I would be surprised if I was the only person who bought the machine based on what I saw myself, rather than what the adverts showed me.

Of course, the "cool" factor you mention will certainly have had its effect, but I don't think that will have kicked in until the PS was already established. Of course, as the user base grew, that effect will have snowballed pretty exponentially. What I'm saying is, something isn't generally considered "cool" and "in" until enough people take it up... you get my drift.

Anyway, getting back to the 'icon' issue... with regard to your last points... it could also be interpreted that, a few years ago, Sony felt that they needed/it would be nice to have an iconic character, but with the overwhelming success they've had, they now feel they don't need one. Possible?

There's no reason, of course, that they can't change their minds on the strategy; companies do it all the time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.