GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tenacious D - Tribute"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/06/02 at 20:02
Regular
Right then. I know a lot of people have listened to this song, and thought its great. But why? When I first heard it I found it funny for what it was, as did almost every other song. BUT, thanks to my dad and his oldies tastes, he brought my attention to a deeper meaning to the song, making it a million times funnier.

Many of us also have heard the song Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin. Many people think of it as the best song in the world. The riffs in it are good, and the lyrics are quite good. Well, if you listen to both, you'll find that not only are all the same riffs used for Tribute, but even some of the lyrics half way through have as well. What's more, it makes it all fit. Its a joke, dissing people who think Stairway to Heaven is the best song in the world.

"This is not the greatest song in the world, no
This is just a tribute"

Look at it in that light - I found it funny, you'll find it funny.

I suppose you're all going to say that you knew it anyway...
Wed 26/06/02 at 20:02
Regular
"¬_¬"
Right then. I know a lot of people have listened to this song, and thought its great. But why? When I first heard it I found it funny for what it was, as did almost every other song. BUT, thanks to my dad and his oldies tastes, he brought my attention to a deeper meaning to the song, making it a million times funnier.

Many of us also have heard the song Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin. Many people think of it as the best song in the world. The riffs in it are good, and the lyrics are quite good. Well, if you listen to both, you'll find that not only are all the same riffs used for Tribute, but even some of the lyrics half way through have as well. What's more, it makes it all fit. Its a joke, dissing people who think Stairway to Heaven is the best song in the world.

"This is not the greatest song in the world, no
This is just a tribute"

Look at it in that light - I found it funny, you'll find it funny.

I suppose you're all going to say that you knew it anyway...
Wed 26/06/02 at 21:18
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
No I did not know that
Wed 26/06/02 at 22:29
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Yeah, I see that second deeper meaning, but it's still hysterically funny at face value.

Tribute really made me go and look into Tenacious D, and now i'm really interested in getting hold of some of their other work.
Wed 26/06/02 at 22:33
Regular
"That's right!"
I put Tribute on today so my mate could hear it. He wasn't impressed... I, on the other hand, was singing along and dancing
Thu 27/06/02 at 17:53
Regular
"¬_¬"
ADH wrote:
> Yeah, I see that second deeper meaning, but it's still hysterically
> funny at face value.
>
> Tribute really made me go and look into Tenacious D, and now i'm
> really interested in getting hold of some of their other work.

I was listening to it yesterday (at the time of writing the initial post), and my dad was in the room. He heard it and thought it was great, because he's a massive Led Zeppelin fan he understood the other meaning. Current status - he's bought their album.

Mind you, this is my dad who has over £1000's worth of King Crimson CDs...
Tue 02/07/02 at 23:14
1/2 pint i'm afraid you and your dad are wrong on this one. Although you think Tribute sounds like stairway (which it doesnt) the chords and picking pattern are not in the slightest way the same (well ok maybe the a minor chord although its not actually an a minor in stairway). I should know having studied stairway to heaven very closely reading all manor of tablature written in different ways. Have you ever thought that maybe Tribute is a song thats just a joke. Have you heard any of their other stuff. I mean just listen to 'f### her softly' and you will realise that people like that would never think of writing a 'tribute' song to stairway to heaven. I know you will argue this but i cant accept trash like tribute being even remotely related to stairway to heaven.
Tue 02/07/02 at 23:17
and by the way i'm talking about the radio version of tribute not the one with some ACTUAL stairway to heaven opening picking pattern riff in the middle of it. I have heard both versions and still think they are just extracting the michael
Wed 03/07/02 at 01:12
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
If it takes a comedy band to get your pesky kids into Led Zeppelin then that's a good thing.

Take a listen to "II" and witness one of the finest albums ever made.
You already know "Whole Lotta Love", it's played every week as the intro-music for a show that rules your lives and tells you what is cool.

All we need now is a sudden resurgence of interest in "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" and we'll all be one step closer to not needing purile exercises in marketing like Limp Bizkit/Blink 182/Britney Spears.

Or, as Bill Hicks put it
"When did we start listening to pre-pubescent white girls for inspiration? Goddammit I remember when music had balls, music had soul and music had a heart. Anyone else? I'm just a dreamer man..."

Go download the following Led Zep tunes and you'll thank me, or ask your dads:

Whole Lotta Love
Heartbreaker
Moby Dick
American Woman
Immigrant Song
Kashmir
When The Levee Breaks
The Lemon Song
Rambling Song
Fri 25/10/02 at 15:33
Regular
"Festivus!"
Hey, that is what I am named after, cool no?
Fri 25/10/02 at 17:19
Regular
"Don't Mess Yourself"
Yes Top of the pops.
I don't like Zeppelin especially much (somehing about guitar solo's annoys me greatly)

BTW Goatboy Is that you website on your tagline. Is it a joke. If not what the hells going on?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.