GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Pros and Cons of Online Gaming."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/06/02 at 13:40
Regular
Recently, me and my housemate have begun regular sessions of online gaming, via an Xbox console, a length of USB cable and an Ntl broadband internet connection.

Admittedly there are currently only 5 games available to play online, some of which are US-only games, such as NASCAR and Tony Hawks 2x. However, we are still able to play Halo and Tony Hawks 3 online. There is no doubt that online gaming is the future as it adds a whole new dimension to the gaming experience. Online gaming offers many advantages, as well as a few disadvantages.

-THE ADVANTAGES OF ONLINE GAMING.
Firstly, the main advantage of online gaming is the obvious fact that you have the chance to play your favourite games with endless opponents, each of whom have their own tactics and levels of skill.

Secondly, it is far better to play multi-player games when your opponent cannot see the same screen as you. For instance, in Halo you can now regularly sneak up on your opponents and satisfyingly kill them by pistol-whipping them in the back of the skull!

Finally, many believe that a good multi-player game can often offer the best gaming experience. Perhaps this is because no matter how good a computer enemy's artificial intelligence is, you cannot get better than another human being. With online gaming you have the capability to play multi-player games whenever you want without having to wait for your friends to come round your house, etc.

-THE DISADVANTAGES OF ONLINE GAMING.
Before I start I should point out that some of these disadvantages may (hopefully) be wiped out when everything becomes more 'official'. However, some disadvantages may always be present.

The first thing I noticed about playing online is the frustration of your opponent having a very bad connection. This can cause frequent lag and slowdown. In some situations, a large multi-player game involving up to four different Xbox consoles is completely ruined because some idiot is attempting to play Xbox games online using a standard 56K modem! As you can imagine; when you're in the middle of a massive Tony Hawks combo-to-end-all-combos, slowdown and lag don't reallt go down to well...

The next disadvantage is what I like to call the 'Spite Factor'. Basically, this involves poor losers spitefully turning their consoles off (and therefore breaking the connection) when they realise you are beating them. Once, this happened when me and my friend were on the verge of beating two Finnish lads by 15-0 on Halo team slayer!

Perhaps the biggest downside to internet gaming is that currently you cannot go online with your UK/PAL Xbox and play against an American/NTSC opponent. This is very annoying due to the simple fact that roughly 90-95% of online gamers are Americans.

Another small disadvantage of online gaming is that some opponents feel they MUST win at all costs, even if this involves removing every possible element of fun from the game. Sometimes, when playing Halo, opponents hide away so much and play so cautiously that the game becomes less fun.

In conclusion, online console gaming is still very much in its infancy. I do believe that when the whole experience becomes more official, then improvements will be made. However, 'official' online play will probably not be cheap. In the meantime, I must still admit that I love playing Halo and Tony hawks 3 online and that the advantages of online gaming far outweigh the disadvantages I have listed above.

Thanks for Reading.
Tue 02/07/02 at 15:43
Regular
"cant think of one.."
This is the first post i've done for a while due to stupid uni exams. Anyway, i'm glad to have won GAD and thanks to everyone for their feedback...

Oh, and I passed all my exams :) (Hurrah)
Mon 01/07/02 at 16:56
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
i like online gaming but nothing beats sitting round the TV with 3 mates and playing anything from monkey ball to perfect dark. Its mroe social and you can chat to each other. Or yell at each other ie "ARG YOU GOT ME YOU BUG*ER"

Just makes it more fun.
Mon 01/07/02 at 14:24
Regular
"cant think of one.."
Dark Mark wrote:
> The biggest disadvantage of online gaming is the social factor, ie,
> you sit on your own and play against someone who may as well be a CPU
> controlled opponent. Don't get me wrong, I like to play online games
> every so often but I would much rather play with three friends on a
> game like Smash Bros and enjoy all of the laughing, social activity
> and swearing that comes with it.

This is an extremely good point Mark. One way to have the best of both worlds is to play online with a team game, that way your mates can join in too.
Sat 29/06/02 at 21:07
Regular
"Remember me?"
The biggest disadvantage of online gaming is the social factor, ie, you sit on your own and play against someone who may as well be a CPU controlled opponent. Don't get me wrong, I like to play online games every so often but I would much rather play with three friends on a game like Smash Bros and enjoy all of the laughing, social activity and swearing that comes with it.
Thu 27/06/02 at 09:53
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
foolish...
Theres only one disadvantage to online gaming and that only happens when you've got a tiny....modem connection.
Get a Broadband modem and all will be fine, Online gaming is the nutz.
Thu 27/06/02 at 00:25
I'd love to play Online Games. Considering they give everyone more of a challange, and I'm pretty sure anyone is content with this feature in games.

Unfortunately, for us "narrowband" users. We tend to drop out of games every two hours or have a really high ping which gives the others choppy game-play.

Sucks to be me. I best get Broadband soon, downloading at 1.8kbs isn't a way to live...
Wed 26/06/02 at 13:40
Regular
"cant think of one.."
Recently, me and my housemate have begun regular sessions of online gaming, via an Xbox console, a length of USB cable and an Ntl broadband internet connection.

Admittedly there are currently only 5 games available to play online, some of which are US-only games, such as NASCAR and Tony Hawks 2x. However, we are still able to play Halo and Tony Hawks 3 online. There is no doubt that online gaming is the future as it adds a whole new dimension to the gaming experience. Online gaming offers many advantages, as well as a few disadvantages.

-THE ADVANTAGES OF ONLINE GAMING.
Firstly, the main advantage of online gaming is the obvious fact that you have the chance to play your favourite games with endless opponents, each of whom have their own tactics and levels of skill.

Secondly, it is far better to play multi-player games when your opponent cannot see the same screen as you. For instance, in Halo you can now regularly sneak up on your opponents and satisfyingly kill them by pistol-whipping them in the back of the skull!

Finally, many believe that a good multi-player game can often offer the best gaming experience. Perhaps this is because no matter how good a computer enemy's artificial intelligence is, you cannot get better than another human being. With online gaming you have the capability to play multi-player games whenever you want without having to wait for your friends to come round your house, etc.

-THE DISADVANTAGES OF ONLINE GAMING.
Before I start I should point out that some of these disadvantages may (hopefully) be wiped out when everything becomes more 'official'. However, some disadvantages may always be present.

The first thing I noticed about playing online is the frustration of your opponent having a very bad connection. This can cause frequent lag and slowdown. In some situations, a large multi-player game involving up to four different Xbox consoles is completely ruined because some idiot is attempting to play Xbox games online using a standard 56K modem! As you can imagine; when you're in the middle of a massive Tony Hawks combo-to-end-all-combos, slowdown and lag don't reallt go down to well...

The next disadvantage is what I like to call the 'Spite Factor'. Basically, this involves poor losers spitefully turning their consoles off (and therefore breaking the connection) when they realise you are beating them. Once, this happened when me and my friend were on the verge of beating two Finnish lads by 15-0 on Halo team slayer!

Perhaps the biggest downside to internet gaming is that currently you cannot go online with your UK/PAL Xbox and play against an American/NTSC opponent. This is very annoying due to the simple fact that roughly 90-95% of online gamers are Americans.

Another small disadvantage of online gaming is that some opponents feel they MUST win at all costs, even if this involves removing every possible element of fun from the game. Sometimes, when playing Halo, opponents hide away so much and play so cautiously that the game becomes less fun.

In conclusion, online console gaming is still very much in its infancy. I do believe that when the whole experience becomes more official, then improvements will be made. However, 'official' online play will probably not be cheap. In the meantime, I must still admit that I love playing Halo and Tony hawks 3 online and that the advantages of online gaming far outweigh the disadvantages I have listed above.

Thanks for Reading.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.