GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"UEFA to experiment with two referees per game"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/06/02 at 11:21
Regular
From NTLworld.com/Ananova

-----

Uefa could experiment with two referees in a match during a youth tournament.

Both world governing body Fifa and Uefa are looking into having a second referee in games following controversial decisions in the World Cup.

Mike Lee, Uefa Head of Communications, revealed the idea could be tried out during a youth tournament.

"We will look at doing something like this over the next five to 10 years," Lee told Sky Sports News.

"We would look at the idea of having two referees running two halves of the game.

"We will try out this idea to see how it works."

Uefa chief executive Gerhard Aigner believes the sport should test a scheme with one referee in each half of the pitch in a bid to cut down on errors.

Aigner said on Uefa's website: "It must be an advantage for the simple fact that the referee is less tired; he can be closer to the action and has a better chance of judging a situation such as offside. We should look into this more deeply.

"How can a referee judge whether a player is acting if he is not close enough to the action?

"Before we start to talk about cameras, slow-motion replays or stopping the game, we should first exploit human resources. We have unfortunately never had a serious test with two referees. This test should be made."
Wed 26/06/02 at 11:21
"High polygon count"
From NTLworld.com/Ananova

-----

Uefa could experiment with two referees in a match during a youth tournament.

Both world governing body Fifa and Uefa are looking into having a second referee in games following controversial decisions in the World Cup.

Mike Lee, Uefa Head of Communications, revealed the idea could be tried out during a youth tournament.

"We will look at doing something like this over the next five to 10 years," Lee told Sky Sports News.

"We would look at the idea of having two referees running two halves of the game.

"We will try out this idea to see how it works."

Uefa chief executive Gerhard Aigner believes the sport should test a scheme with one referee in each half of the pitch in a bid to cut down on errors.

Aigner said on Uefa's website: "It must be an advantage for the simple fact that the referee is less tired; he can be closer to the action and has a better chance of judging a situation such as offside. We should look into this more deeply.

"How can a referee judge whether a player is acting if he is not close enough to the action?

"Before we start to talk about cameras, slow-motion replays or stopping the game, we should first exploit human resources. We have unfortunately never had a serious test with two referees. This test should be made."
Wed 26/06/02 at 15:13
Regular
"Long time no see!"
FINALLY!! This is the kind of thing UEFA and co. should've been experimenting with eons ago!

There have been too many reffereeing errors in all competitions during the last few years, and some have turned games the other way - just like Spain's defeat to South Korea.

And I like the idea of having one ref in each half - but what happens if they both can't agree on something???? Time for an instant replay on the big screen if you ask me! Or maybe they could have Andy Gray with a monitor on the touuchline??
Well, at least there will be less challenges and off the ball incidents that go un-noticed.
Wed 26/06/02 at 15:18
Regular
"Baros!!!"
Yeah I agree that they should have an Instant Replay on the big screen. It would make it more better for the referee aswell.
Wed 26/06/02 at 15:56
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
They talked about this after France 98 as well, so it'll be interesting to see if they'll go through with it this time. Personally, I think it's a great idea. I'm soooo sick of controversy smothering games of football, anything they can do to reduce awful decisions will be welcome.

They're also talking about having referees/assistant referees that work together as a team all of the time, rather than just flinging them together before the game. Keeping these teams together so that they can build up an understanding with each other must make things more consistent.
Wed 26/06/02 at 16:16
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
The two referees will have different views on things like penalties, fouls and cautions and it will never work. They need a way of stopping play or allowing the each team a couple of chances to challenge the refs decision and look at the big screen with a replay. Although at the moment it would not work as the other team may be on the attack or even score while waiting for a replay of something like a ball crossing the line but not being allowed.
Wed 26/06/02 at 16:20
"`·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.·`·"
It will never work.
Wed 26/06/02 at 16:24
"High polygon count"
That's what we like - open-minded thinking, and the ability to at least try something out before dismissing it!
Wed 26/06/02 at 17:00
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
If each of the two referees have distinct responsibilities during the game it might smooth things over, covering certain positions to enable an alternative viewpoint to be given. How many times does a different replay angle reveal the truth about an incident, that a single referee does not have access to during the game? A quick discussion between referees to confirm what happened and then the game continues with the resultant action.

I just think they should try it out, if it doesn’t work then fine, it doesn’t have to be used. If it does, and it can help avoid farcical decisions of the nature that marred this World Cup, it must be a good thing.

The only doubt that I have about the system, is what’s referred to in US sports as an ‘Inadvertent Whistle’. This occurs when one of the many officials, in American Football for example, prematurely blows for the end of a play causing players to stop. Translate this into Football, and you get situations where goals are scored moments after the whistle has been blown – offside for example. If the whistle blows for offside, a goal is scored then subsequently allowed to stand, the defending team would claim that they had heard the whistle and stopped playing, causing an equally large amount of arguments!

The very nature of the offside rule dictates that referees and their assistants are consistently correct. Changing a goal that shouldn’t have stood is not a problem, but what do you do if a player is incorrectly given offside and play brought back? You can’t really give them another crack at it can you!!
Wed 26/06/02 at 18:09
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Would look weird but makes sense in a way
Wed 26/06/02 at 19:59
Im surprised its taken them so long to come up with this idea and about time too. At least if it doesnt work they can say, "well least we tried it out". I think they should have four linesman too (or refereeing assistance) ;0)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.