GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Super Trucks review - in case you wondered...."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/06/02 at 23:32
Regular
Haven't been able to post this as it's not on SR for some reason?

Super Trucks - PS2

Formula One, Superbikes, Touring Cars. Great Motorsports I’m sure some of you will agree. Well what about Super Trucks? Yes, Trucks, Lorries – those transporter thingies. Fancy racing one of them? I bet you do, so climb on board, it’s racing with a difference.

Features:
The Super Truck Championship is actually only second to Formula 1 in terms of popularity and race attendance in Europe!
What you are treated with is seven real-life circuits and trucks which have apparently been authentically recreated with help from the 14 official teams. An extensive list of options including Truck set-up (tyre pressures can even be adjusted!), difficulty settings and the usual sound/visual options.

A number of game modes are available including five championships which enable you to unlock additional tracks and trucks. Single, Arcade and Multiplayer races also make an appearance finishing off a normal but more than acceptable package.

Graphics:
On the whole, Super Trucks looks impressive with minimal amounts of pop-up, vehicle damage and even motion blur. If it had been a launch title it would have blown us away but 18 months into the PS2’s life you will have seen visually more stunning games.
Saying that though there is virtually no pop-up, excellent weather effects and even the draw-distance in the rear-view mirror is impressive.

In-game action is fluid, menus are simple but slick whilst replays make an essential appearance and they make your races look pretty darned good actually. Mind you they should, Cameramen from the F1 broadcasting team were involved in the replays and it does show with very well chose angles and movement.

Sounds:
Jester seem intent on doing some things well and then spoiling it all by including some rubbish bits. Just like the graphics, Super Trucks performs admirably in the sound department. Even if you’ve never seen these monstrous five-tonne beasts racing you can imagine just how much noise and mess they can make.

So enjoy the tyre squeal from those huge rubber rings, cringe as your truck crunches into the side of your competitors and positively whince when the soundtrack fires up. Yes, some buffoon decided to include the traditional pap arcade/muzac soundtrack. Oh well, you can’t win ‘em all – just turn it off in the audio options and enjoy the more impressive elements….

Playability:
Now we’re no longer talking Fiat Panda stakes – we’re in Super Truck mode! If you’ve played the likes of Gran Turismo, Metropolis Street Racer or Toca 2 you’ll know what a great racing game is all about. Plenty of tracks, great cars/vehicles, realistic handling and fiendishly clever opponents.
Take all of those elements and add a dash of giant powder and you’ll end up with something like Super Trucks.

There is something outrageously addictive about this game from almost the first time you are involved in a race. The handling seems to be absolutely bang on, although I haven’t raced many lorries. Not recently anyway. One thing that does stand out above everything else is the AI opponents. My god, they’ll sit in your slipstream, fake an overtake on one side and go for the other, try to out-brake you into corners and they’ll even give you a helpful nudge if you’re in the way too much.

Time after time, especially from the raised on-board view, you will see your opponents doing seriously scary stuff behind you. Top tip, watch out for the bloke who has a giant bear in his passenger seat – he’s a loose cannon…

The Verdict:
I can’t actually quite believe how good Super Trucks is. Not that I was expecting a total shower of rubbish but I certainly didn’t think I’d come away with a big grin on my face. Most racing fans will love the action and it’s certainly much more original than the average GT clone.
Great graphics, loads of longevity and exciting racing makes Super Trucks a genuinely cracking game.

MR.COATES

Hope this is of use to some of you.
Tue 25/06/02 at 23:32
Haven't been able to post this as it's not on SR for some reason?

Super Trucks - PS2

Formula One, Superbikes, Touring Cars. Great Motorsports I’m sure some of you will agree. Well what about Super Trucks? Yes, Trucks, Lorries – those transporter thingies. Fancy racing one of them? I bet you do, so climb on board, it’s racing with a difference.

Features:
The Super Truck Championship is actually only second to Formula 1 in terms of popularity and race attendance in Europe!
What you are treated with is seven real-life circuits and trucks which have apparently been authentically recreated with help from the 14 official teams. An extensive list of options including Truck set-up (tyre pressures can even be adjusted!), difficulty settings and the usual sound/visual options.

A number of game modes are available including five championships which enable you to unlock additional tracks and trucks. Single, Arcade and Multiplayer races also make an appearance finishing off a normal but more than acceptable package.

Graphics:
On the whole, Super Trucks looks impressive with minimal amounts of pop-up, vehicle damage and even motion blur. If it had been a launch title it would have blown us away but 18 months into the PS2’s life you will have seen visually more stunning games.
Saying that though there is virtually no pop-up, excellent weather effects and even the draw-distance in the rear-view mirror is impressive.

In-game action is fluid, menus are simple but slick whilst replays make an essential appearance and they make your races look pretty darned good actually. Mind you they should, Cameramen from the F1 broadcasting team were involved in the replays and it does show with very well chose angles and movement.

Sounds:
Jester seem intent on doing some things well and then spoiling it all by including some rubbish bits. Just like the graphics, Super Trucks performs admirably in the sound department. Even if you’ve never seen these monstrous five-tonne beasts racing you can imagine just how much noise and mess they can make.

So enjoy the tyre squeal from those huge rubber rings, cringe as your truck crunches into the side of your competitors and positively whince when the soundtrack fires up. Yes, some buffoon decided to include the traditional pap arcade/muzac soundtrack. Oh well, you can’t win ‘em all – just turn it off in the audio options and enjoy the more impressive elements….

Playability:
Now we’re no longer talking Fiat Panda stakes – we’re in Super Truck mode! If you’ve played the likes of Gran Turismo, Metropolis Street Racer or Toca 2 you’ll know what a great racing game is all about. Plenty of tracks, great cars/vehicles, realistic handling and fiendishly clever opponents.
Take all of those elements and add a dash of giant powder and you’ll end up with something like Super Trucks.

There is something outrageously addictive about this game from almost the first time you are involved in a race. The handling seems to be absolutely bang on, although I haven’t raced many lorries. Not recently anyway. One thing that does stand out above everything else is the AI opponents. My god, they’ll sit in your slipstream, fake an overtake on one side and go for the other, try to out-brake you into corners and they’ll even give you a helpful nudge if you’re in the way too much.

Time after time, especially from the raised on-board view, you will see your opponents doing seriously scary stuff behind you. Top tip, watch out for the bloke who has a giant bear in his passenger seat – he’s a loose cannon…

The Verdict:
I can’t actually quite believe how good Super Trucks is. Not that I was expecting a total shower of rubbish but I certainly didn’t think I’d come away with a big grin on my face. Most racing fans will love the action and it’s certainly much more original than the average GT clone.
Great graphics, loads of longevity and exciting racing makes Super Trucks a genuinely cracking game.

MR.COATES

Hope this is of use to some of you.
Tue 25/06/02 at 23:49
Regular
which button extends your 'Yorkie' ?
Wed 26/06/02 at 09:50
Regular
"  "
Nice review :D Do u know if its compatible with the Logitec GT Force Feedback wheel?
Wed 26/06/02 at 10:11
"High polygon count"
blimeyoreilly wrote:
> which button extends your 'Yorkie' ?

Hur hur hur!
Wed 26/06/02 at 10:52
Not sure - on the forthcoming Xbox version it's obviously the 'Y' button...

BTW, not sure if the Logitech wheel is supported, I'll endeavour to find out.

Would be flippin' ace if it did though I'd imagine. Never did get around to getting one though....
Wed 26/06/02 at 11:27
Regular
"  "
MR.COATES wrote:
> Not sure - on the forthcoming Xbox version it's obviously the 'Y'
> button...
>
> BTW, not sure if the Logitech wheel is supported, I'll endeavour to
> find out.
>
> Would be flippin' ace if it did though I'd imagine. Never did get
> around to getting one though....

ok thanks...i advise u get one...they have dropped to 80 from 85 punds and they now have this thing that goes between you legs so u can clam it betwween your legs (seriously :D)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.