GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[MUSIC] ROBBIE WILLIAMS 'Escapology' album"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/04/08 at 22:31
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
I defy anyone to tell me that they haven't heard of Robbie Williams. Former member of the hugely successful boy band, Take That, the cheeky chappy from Manchester left in 1995 to go solo. He went on to record one of the most popular songs (especially at Weddings) of all time: 'Angels'.

'Escapology' is his 6th Studio album (although arguably it's his 5th, as the album before this one is made up of songs from the Rat Pack, 'Swing When You're Winning') released on November 18th 2002. By this time, William's music was sounding altogether better than anything he had released so far. He had a phenomenally successful song under his belt ('Angels') as well as hugely popular collaboration with Kylie Minogue on 'Kids' (You will NEVER guess what that song is really about).

The album, penned by himself and Guy Chambers (who he famously ditched, as Williams wanted 'more' credit, for it was he who made 'Angels' not Chambers...so he says.) reached number 1 in UK and in many, many other countries in the World. Up until this point, I had quite liked William's albums, but none of them particularly grabbed my attention, until this one. His sound is altogether more coherent in the popworld of the early 2000s (or do we call this time the noughties??) - up until then, he had been droning and moaning, finding himself in and out of rehab, trying to fudge together a career, that he had no obvious control over...what would the Robster do next??? Blow us away with a tip top album...that's what!

This is how I do my album reviews: I give each track a rating out of 10. I've discussed each track using 2 categories: Sound (how the song actually sounds, ta-daaah) and About (what the lyrical content is like).

This is an album displaying brutally honest and confessional lyrics, as well as great story telling. FYI there is a parental warning on this album as the Robster likes the odd rudeness and cuss here and there...!

Ok...on with the first track...

1) How Peculiar - 3:13
"Johnny Long Strokes...Not sure what I'm doing all of the day"

>>Sound: Peculiar? Yes this one is. It starts off with a tinny sounding (obviously an audio effect to make it sound like it's being put over a radio in the 1940s or something of that ilk) raspberry being blown. William's voice has a similar sounding effect, which isn't as bad as the idea sounds (besides it's only for the first verse). He sounds a bit whiney on this track, but overall the sound is rocky with a dash of pop thrown in for good measure. I don't think this one is particularly catchy, but the hook (or whatever the musical term is) just before the chorus is memorable.
>>About: This isn't really a song for kiddies, due to it's suggestive lyrical content. Having said that I'm not sure they would understand the references to the certain parts of Robbie's anatomy. Hmm I'm not too keen to dwell on what this song is about...but I can set a scene for you. Man, Woman, they don't have much to do, he's a depressed man (I find it uncomfortable hearing him say that for some reason), he loves her a lot but doesn't know what to do about it...THEN he gets an idea...and I'm sure you get the idea. I think this song starts off with Robbies saying 'COWs', but maybe he's saying 'How'...it is very peculiar.

Track rating: 7/10
2) Feel - 4:22 (1st release from the album - reaching number 2 in the UK in December 2002)
"I sit and talk to God and he just laughs at my plans"

>>Sound: I absolutely love this song. It has a very laid back feel to it. The melody is great, I wouldn't say it's 'catchy' as such, yet it has the stayability (if thats a word) to mill around your head. There is a great rhythm played out on a piano whilst Williams sings along, with macaracas. The song builds subtly, introducing further sounds that harmoniously create a lovely, lovely tune. The video for this was famed for his on screen snogaroo with the Hollywood actress, Daryl Hannah.
>>About: This song reads like a cry for help. He sings about how he needs help and wants help. He wants to feel what love is like. He wants someone with him. I guess this is cry for help from his rehab experiences. As he says in the song, he doesn't want to die, but he's not keen on living either. A very delecate and beautiful song.

Track rating: 10/10
3) Something Beautiful - 4:48 (3rd release from this album- reaching number 3 in UK in July 2003)
"You can't manufacture a miracle"

>>Sound: Initially, it sounds plinky plonky on the old joanna (piano for those that aren't o'fay with the old cockney), with William's vocals guiding us through the song with the odd trumpet blast here and there. The chorus is rather catchy and sounds ever so slightly anthem-esque. It's an upbeat tune, that I can imagine a crowd at Wembley singing along to at a concert. It's good, but not one of my favs.
>>About: The quote I chose from this song, is the opening line to the track and probably explains where the idea for the video came from. Taking a 'subtle' pop at the music industry's insessent need to create reality TV music stars. This is another sad song, disguised in an up tempo tune. He sings about loneliness and his hope that everyone finds 'something beautiful' that can satisfy them.

4) Monsoon - 3:46
"To all you Sharons and Michelles, with all your tales to sell. Save your meat money well. I'm glad that spending a night with me guaranteed you celebrity." (I love this verse!)

>>Sound: This has a different sound to the other songs so far in this album. It uses a much more rhythm based guitar, introducing musical full stops, played out by said guitar, rather like Queen's 'Radio Gaga'. This is possibly the rockiest track so far. The chorus is GREAT - if the last track was anthem-esque, this one certainly is also. The verses are less complex than the chorus, musically, which adds excitement into the song, as it builds up the chorus. William's voice in this one is powerful and handled very skillfully, me thinks.
>>About: This is a strange one, it is a confessional song with a duality of meaning. On the whole it seems to be about his private life and who he shares his bed with and who is selling their stories on him. On the other hand it's a very frank and honest insight into how he feels about those he has met and indeed, bedded. As well as describing that he feels insecure, not being able to talk in a crowd, but finding solace in whoever gives him that night of 'entertainment'.

Track rating: 8/10
5) Sexed Up - 4:19 - (4th release from this album - number 10 in the UK, November 2003)
"Screw you, I didn't like your taste anyway" (Charming)

>>Sound: Having read the lyrics, you would expect an angry, perhaps rock 'Since You've Been Gone' style number here, but on the contrary, Williams has created a juxtaposition of ideas in this number. The style of music used makes him sound defeated. This songs starts off with the feel on a ballad, perhaps more of a baby power ballad for it's use of guitar. Again, this is another song that builds up to the chorus which has a much more powerful feel than the start of the song. I like this song, I find it quite catchy.
>>About: This one is about a relationship that has gone wrong and Williams is suggesting that they break up. The title comes from the acknowledgement that they're not 'sexed up' anymore, they've lost their 'spark', so to speak. Lyrically, it's quite an angry song, but on the surface, it sounds almost sweet.

6) Love Somebody - 4:10
"Love, only love, will set you free" (ah, the wise words of the Robster)

>>Sound: This is probably the slowest song so far. Yet it doesn't have the feel of your average ballad, as once again, it builds to a crescendo into the chorus. Again, William's voice is powerful and the desperate nature of the lyric really makes the emotion in his delivery clear and passionate. I'm not a huge fan of this song, but it isn't bad by any means, I know a lot of people who say it's one of their favs (the crazy fools). There is a good section near the end of the song, when he sings with a choir, which makes the song all that little bit more haunting.
>>About: This song seems to be a general musing on William's slightly abstract, view on life. There's a moment where he gets spiritual and addresses 'Lord', admitting that he needs to be let into his life - or perhaps this is a metaphor for someone else? He sings about how he wants someone that he can love, as that will save him from what evidently appears to be an unhappy life. Cor blimey, I'm beginning to feel really sorry for the Robster now :(

7) Revolution (featuring Rose Stone) - 5:44
"Make friends with your past and you can leave it at last" (very wise words me thinks)

>>Sound: As soon as I heard this song for the first time, I knew I would like it. It starts with a long drum beat - introducing a duet between Williams and Stone. their voices couldn't sound more different. She has a soulful and powerful voice which marries together beautifully with William's grainy and much more rocky sounding vocal. It's quite a mellow and non offence track. I think the best thing about this song, is the fact that it is a duet - it adds a new flavour to what Williams has presented to us so far in this album. There is also some nice trumpet work towards the end of the song. Good stuff.
>>About: At first when I heard this song, I thought he was singing to someone who is about to give birth (check out the start of the lyrics to get what I mean). That may be the case. But on second listen, I think it's more a song to himself. He sings about how everybody gets hurt sometimes, but love shines on. Sounds cliche, but he has a point. As if 'revolution' is a kind of mantra for him, to keep going and work through the unhappiness that he feels.

8) Handsome Man - 3:54
"Give in and love it, what's the point in hating me? You can't argue with popularity" (I beg to differ)

>>Sound: Williams does a great job of sounding like the arrogant person who would sing this song. The quality of his voice is very different and he almost isn't singing and in parts, as he speaks the lyric, emphasising certain vowels to make himself sound 'cooool' - not a world away from the verses in Blur's 'Parklife' (but not as conversational...does this make sense?). This is another rock one, with a glorious underlying pop flavour. I don't really know why, but this song really does reminds me of a Blur track. I think this song is clever and fun, but musically, I find it quite lacking. It ends with the sound of a door slam - I can imagine Williams finishing the song then walking out of the studio, as if his job there is done. I don't believe that's what HE would have done, but it wouldn't be surprising if the 'character' in the song did something like that.
>>About: At last, a song that is lyrically, more entertaining. In this song, the world's most handsome man is...himself. The arrogant Robbie is back - or at least the arrogant Robbie that is sometimes depicted in the media. This song is great, he is singing as a characature of himself, being the world's most handsome man and how everyone loves him and wants a piece of him. He even suggests that people adore him so much, that if he asked them, they'll even get the sweetcorn out of his poo (delightful). Lines like 'It's nice to meet you, now let me go and wash my hands' are comical and echo the bold Robbie and is his alterego.

9) Come Undone - 4:38 (2nd release from this album - number 4 in UK, March 2003)
"I'm contemplating, thinkin' about thinkin" (O dear, he really is a confused chappy)

>>Sound: A strange choice for a 2nd release from this album. I find this one rather boring. It starts slow and builds to a much pacier chorus, with lovely backing vocals. To me, it doesn't sound very original and for that, I find it tedious. It's another mild, rock number...but I do like it when he uses the 'f' word...go on my son, get some passion in ya!
>>About: Back to the melancholy lyric. This is possibly the most self-destructive song on the album, lyrically. It's full of bittersweet lines that contradict themselves and project Williams in a very self reflective mood. Some of the lyrics are quite shocking, yet still resound as poetic.

10) Me And My Monkey - 7:12
"Me and my monkey, like Butch and the Sundance Kid" (How sweet)

>>Sound: This song has a wonderful 'Mexicana' feel to it. This is a far cry away from anything else on this album and stands out completely. The percussion is great, he uses a cabasa - LOVE IT! The instruments on this track sound great, trumpets and guitar add a very atmospheric quality to this song which helps Williams with his story-telling. He puts on voices for the other characters that he sings about (some might say it's a dodgy Mexican accent, but I like it). At last, Williams is being playful, especially with the way he uses his voice. This album has had a very serious quality up until now - hurrah - something different to make us stand to attention good and proper. **Be warned there are monkey w****s in this song** (how lovely)
>>About: I love this song. We are told a story and taken on a journey to Las Vegas...with a monkey. You would be forgiven for thinking that the monkey, is an analogy for his manhood, well this may be so, but it talks and has other monkey friends...well, it could be his manhood...but the naive guy in me is convinced that that is just an irony! When I first heard this song, I thought 'wow', Williams has gone on a leap of faith to break away from the other 'confessional' style songs on this album and plumped for a song that tells a story, seemingly unrelated to anything we know about him as a person. Good on that man, a very creative and great track!

11) Song 3 - 3:48
"I'm stopping traffic 'cause they dig the fame" (hmmm m'ok then)

>>Sound: Assumedly, this song is titled in homage to Blur's 'Song2' (gosh, there really does some to be a connection here with Blur), only it's not as good - ouch. No, it's not bad, but sounds like a track from his previous album along the lines of 'Old Before I Die' (puh-lease, boring, boring, boring). This is the sort of song that a crowd would 'bounce' to, only because there is nothing else going on in the song. This one is dull mcdull, it's only saving grace being the 'yeah yeah yeahs' in the chorus - hmm that's not saying much is it?
>>About: This song talks about how big he has become in the world and how hectic the lives of today are. He also sings about the growing economy and how shallow and money driven we've become. He mentions Ebay and LA, all power and money hungry...yet Williams appears to be enjoying it...and why not, I guess.

Track rating: 6/10
12) Hot Fudge - 4:05
"The Holy Ghost and the whole East Coast are moving to L.A."

>>Sound: This is my favourite song on the album, the upbeat track makes this song catchy and made me sing along during the first time I heard it. The piano at the start is awesome! This is an upbeat and playful sounding track, that makes me feel pure joy when this song comes on in my car. This one is the song to drive to, on a nice road on a sunny day, with all the windows down...enjoy! I can't rave about this enough, he has a great instrumental section also displaying the talents of his skilled band. I'm even feeling happy just thinking about this one. Great beat, great tune, great use of vocal...it's just great really!
>>About: This song seems to be about how much Williams is disliking living in England and about his choices to move to L.A. Everything is bigger and better over there for him...the weather is also an advantage it would seem, well so he says. That's it really, simple. Everyone seems to be going there, so why not?

Track rating: 11/10 (what do you mean that's cheating?)
13) Cursed - 4:01
"Tell God he's got a dirty angel" (oo la la)

>>Sound: Hmm...not such a good'un...instantly forgettable. I can't even begin to hum the tune. This one feels like an album filler more than a decent reason to be on there.
>>About: Hurrah - this isn't a song about himself, well it could be interpreted that way. He's singing to someone who hasn't had a great shot at life so far.

14) Nan's Song - 3:52
"There's a strange kind of light, caressing me tonight. Pray silence my fear, she is near, bringing heaven down here" (beautiful)

>>Sound: Ballad...a very beautiful ballad.
>>About: Now, I have difficulty hearing this track as it makes me quite upset, as I fully appreciate and relate to it's sentiment. This song is a truly beautiful and touching song about his Nan, who passed away. That's all I have to say on it. It's a beautiful way to end the album (geeees, I'm even starting to get a lump in my throat, at the memory of some of the lyrics)

...What there's more??? O yes, this album has...dun dun dun...2, yes 2, hidden tracks. The first one is shortly after the end of 'Nan's song' and is called 'Save the Children' or sometimes refered to as 'How Peculiar, reprise'. Its not bad, but i'm glad it's not 'an album' track. The next one is right at the end, after 12:07 minutes. It's full of questions like 'Is the Richard Gere gerbil story true?', 'Did Sooty sleep with Sue?' - makes you wonder why his head so messed up really, doesn't it? This is quirky song, sung seriously and simply...it's ok...but somewhat pointless...yet I know it's one of those ones that fans with lap up. It's called 'I tried Love', I believe (he also asks where Gary Barlow's gone...he can't let it lie, can he? How we scoff now).

END OF ALBUM

Overall album rating: 8/10 (111/140 to be exact)

The album sleeve: I love the design of the album artwork, on the front we see Williams hanging upside by his feet above a city skyline...obviously a visual representation (ooo get me) of how he feels. I like the way on the back of the CD, the track listing is the wrong way up too. The sleeve is filled with lovely pictures of the man himself, as one might expect, along with the usual credits and a strange picture of him on the back page, looking enormous - check it out. Also, the lyrics are included...so you can learn 'Hot Fudge' and drive really fast, knowing the right words...hurrah...ooo but don't read and drive, that's bad! The CD itself is gold...oo la la.

The album can be bought as an online download, or in most shops that sell CDs rather cheaply now...as it is quite old...Bargain!

Since talking about his music, I've developed a new found respect for William's album and more over the confessional stance with his music. This type of music appeals to me as it is based on reality - compared to other music such as Justin Timberlake's latest album (check out my review on that to check out what I mean, his lyrical content is awful) where the lyrics are general run of the mill 'baby, baby, baby, I love you'. A lot of songs grow and develop as the songs progress which is great - as it keeps us guessing. As we know, from the nature of some of the lyrics I have talked about, Williams is totally exposed on this album and makes himself vulnerable - something very credible and should be saluted, I feel.

I've had this album since it's release and it's one of those ones, that I never hide too far down in my collection as I like to get it out now and then. This isn't an album to be sniffed at, it is very, very good and I'm sure I will still be listening to it in years to come.

Oh, by the way, check out www.robbiewilliams.com should you want to know more stuff about the man himself.

Thanks for reading :)

© MarcoG 2008
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Mon 07/04/08 at 22:31
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
I defy anyone to tell me that they haven't heard of Robbie Williams. Former member of the hugely successful boy band, Take That, the cheeky chappy from Manchester left in 1995 to go solo. He went on to record one of the most popular songs (especially at Weddings) of all time: 'Angels'.

'Escapology' is his 6th Studio album (although arguably it's his 5th, as the album before this one is made up of songs from the Rat Pack, 'Swing When You're Winning') released on November 18th 2002. By this time, William's music was sounding altogether better than anything he had released so far. He had a phenomenally successful song under his belt ('Angels') as well as hugely popular collaboration with Kylie Minogue on 'Kids' (You will NEVER guess what that song is really about).

The album, penned by himself and Guy Chambers (who he famously ditched, as Williams wanted 'more' credit, for it was he who made 'Angels' not Chambers...so he says.) reached number 1 in UK and in many, many other countries in the World. Up until this point, I had quite liked William's albums, but none of them particularly grabbed my attention, until this one. His sound is altogether more coherent in the popworld of the early 2000s (or do we call this time the noughties??) - up until then, he had been droning and moaning, finding himself in and out of rehab, trying to fudge together a career, that he had no obvious control over...what would the Robster do next??? Blow us away with a tip top album...that's what!

This is how I do my album reviews: I give each track a rating out of 10. I've discussed each track using 2 categories: Sound (how the song actually sounds, ta-daaah) and About (what the lyrical content is like).

This is an album displaying brutally honest and confessional lyrics, as well as great story telling. FYI there is a parental warning on this album as the Robster likes the odd rudeness and cuss here and there...!

Ok...on with the first track...

1) How Peculiar - 3:13
"Johnny Long Strokes...Not sure what I'm doing all of the day"

>>Sound: Peculiar? Yes this one is. It starts off with a tinny sounding (obviously an audio effect to make it sound like it's being put over a radio in the 1940s or something of that ilk) raspberry being blown. William's voice has a similar sounding effect, which isn't as bad as the idea sounds (besides it's only for the first verse). He sounds a bit whiney on this track, but overall the sound is rocky with a dash of pop thrown in for good measure. I don't think this one is particularly catchy, but the hook (or whatever the musical term is) just before the chorus is memorable.
>>About: This isn't really a song for kiddies, due to it's suggestive lyrical content. Having said that I'm not sure they would understand the references to the certain parts of Robbie's anatomy. Hmm I'm not too keen to dwell on what this song is about...but I can set a scene for you. Man, Woman, they don't have much to do, he's a depressed man (I find it uncomfortable hearing him say that for some reason), he loves her a lot but doesn't know what to do about it...THEN he gets an idea...and I'm sure you get the idea. I think this song starts off with Robbies saying 'COWs', but maybe he's saying 'How'...it is very peculiar.

2) Feel - 4:22 (1st release from the album - reaching number 2 in the UK in December 2002)
"I sit and talk to God and he just laughs at my plans"

>>Sound: I absolutely love this song. It has a very laid back feel to it. The melody is great, I wouldn't say it's 'catchy' as such, yet it has the stayability (if thats a word) to mill around your head. There is a great rhythm played out on a piano whilst Williams sings along, with macaracas. The song builds subtly, introducing further sounds that harmoniously create a lovely, lovely tune. The video for this was famed for his on screen snogaroo with the Hollywood actress, Daryl Hannah.
>>About: This song reads like a cry for help. He sings about how he needs help and wants help. He wants to feel what love is like. He wants someone with him. I guess this is cry for help from his rehab experiences. As he says in the song, he doesn't want to die, but he's not keen on living either. A very delecate and beautiful song.

3) Something Beautiful - 4:48 (3rd release from this album- reaching number 3 in UK in July 2003)
"You can't manufacture a miracle"

>>Sound: Initially, it sounds plinky plonky on the old joanna (piano for those that aren't o'fay with the old cockney), with William's vocals guiding us through the song with the odd trumpet blast here and there. The chorus is rather catchy and sounds ever so slightly anthem-esque. It's an upbeat tune, that I can imagine a crowd at Wembley singing along to at a concert. It's good, but not one of my favs.
>>About: The quote I chose from this song, is the opening line to the track and probably explains where the idea for the video came from. Taking a 'subtle' pop at the music industry's insessent need to create reality TV music stars. This is another sad song, disguised in an up tempo tune. He sings about loneliness and his hope that everyone finds 'something beautiful' that can satisfy them.

4) Monsoon - 3:46
"To all you Sharons and Michelles, with all your tales to sell. Save your meat money well. I'm glad that spending a night with me guaranteed you celebrity." (I love this verse!)

>>Sound: This has a different sound to the other songs so far in this album. It uses a much more rhythm based guitar, introducing musical full stops, played out by said guitar, rather like Queen's 'Radio Gaga'. This is possibly the rockiest track so far. The chorus is GREAT - if the last track was anthem-esque, this one certainly is also. The verses are less complex than the chorus, musically, which adds excitement into the song, as it builds up the chorus. William's voice in this one is powerful and handled very skillfully, me thinks.
>>About: This is a strange one, it is a confessional song with a duality of meaning. On the whole it seems to be about his private life and who he shares his bed with and who is selling their stories on him. On the other hand it's a very frank and honest insight into how he feels about those he has met and indeed, bedded. As well as describing that he feels insecure, not being able to talk in a crowd, but finding solace in whoever gives him that night of 'entertainment'.

5) Sexed Up - 4:19 - (4th release from this album - number 10 in the UK, November 2003)
"Screw you, I didn't like your taste anyway" (Charming)

>>Sound: Having read the lyrics, you would expect an angry, perhaps rock 'Since You've Been Gone' style number here, but on the contrary, Williams has created a juxtaposition of ideas in this number. The style of music used makes him sound defeated. This songs starts off with the feel on a ballad, perhaps more of a baby power ballad for it's use of guitar. Again, this is another song that builds up to the chorus which has a much more powerful feel than the start of the song. I like this song, I find it quite catchy.
>>About: This one is about a relationship that has gone wrong and Williams is suggesting that they break up. The title comes from the acknowledgement that they're not 'sexed up' anymore, they've lost their 'spark', so to speak. Lyrically, it's quite an angry song, but on the surface, it sounds almost sweet.

6) Love Somebody - 4:10
"Love, only love, will set you free" (ah, the wise words of the Robster)

>>Sound: This is probably the slowest song so far. Yet it doesn't have the feel of your average ballad, as once again, it builds to a crescendo into the chorus. Again, William's voice is powerful and the desperate nature of the lyric really makes the emotion in his delivery clear and passionate. I'm not a huge fan of this song, but it isn't bad by any means, I know a lot of people who say it's one of their favs (the crazy fools). There is a good section near the end of the song, when he sings with a choir, which makes the song all that little bit more haunting.
>>About: This song seems to be a general musing on William's slightly abstract, view on life. There's a moment where he gets spiritual and addresses 'Lord', admitting that he needs to be let into his life - or perhaps this is a metaphor for someone else? He sings about how he wants someone that he can love, as that will save him from what evidently appears to be an unhappy life. Cor blimey, I'm beginning to feel really sorry for the Robster now :(

7) Revolution (featuring Rose Stone) - 5:44
"Make friends with your past and you can leave it at last" (very wise words me thinks)

>>Sound: As soon as I heard this song for the first time, I knew I would like it. It starts with a long drum beat - introducing a duet between Williams and Stone. their voices couldn't sound more different. She has a soulful and powerful voice which marries together beautifully with William's grainy and much more rocky sounding vocal. It's quite a mellow and non offence track. I think the best thing about this song, is the fact that it is a duet - it adds a new flavour to what Williams has presented to us so far in this album. There is also some nice trumpet work towards the end of the song. Good stuff.
>>About: At first when I heard this song, I thought he was singing to someone who is about to give birth (check out the start of the lyrics to get what I mean). That may be the case. But on second listen, I think it's more a song to himself. He sings about how everybody gets hurt sometimes, but love shines on. Sounds cliche, but he has a point. As if 'revolution' is a kind of mantra for him, to keep going and work through the unhappiness that he feels.

8) Handsome Man - 3:54
"Give in and love it, what's the point in hating me? You can't argue with popularity" (I beg to differ)

>>Sound: Williams does a great job of sounding like the arrogant person who would sing this song. The quality of his voice is very different and he almost isn't singing and in parts, as he speaks the lyric, emphasising certain vowels to make himself sound 'cooool' - not a world away from the verses in Blur's 'Parklife' (but not as conversational...does this make sense?). This is another rock one, with a glorious underlying pop flavour. I don't really know why, but this song really does reminds me of a Blur track. I think this song is clever and fun, but musically, I find it quite lacking. It ends with the sound of a door slam - I can imagine Williams finishing the song then walking out of the studio, as if his job there is done. I don't believe that's what HE would have done, but it wouldn't be surprising if the 'character' in the song did something like that.
>>About: At last, a song that is lyrically, more entertaining. In this song, the world's most handsome man is...himself. The arrogant Robbie is back - or at least the arrogant Robbie that is sometimes depicted in the media. This song is great, he is singing as a characature of himself, being the world's most handsome man and how everyone loves him and wants a piece of him. He even suggests that people adore him so much, that if he asked them, they'll even get the sweetcorn out of his poo (delightful). Lines like 'It's nice to meet you, now let me go and wash my hands' are comical and echo the bold Robbie and is his alterego.

9) Come Undone - 4:38 (2nd release from this album - number 4 in UK, March 2003)
"I'm contemplating, thinkin' about thinkin" (O dear, he really is a confused chappy)

>>Sound: A strange choice for a 2nd release from this album. I find this one rather boring. It starts slow and builds to a much pacier chorus, with lovely backing vocals. To me, it doesn't sound very original and for that, I find it tedious. It's another mild, rock number...but I do like it when he uses the 'f' word...go on my son, get some passion in ya!
>>About: Back to the melancholy lyric. This is possibly the most self-destructive song on the album, lyrically. It's full of bittersweet lines that contradict themselves and project Williams in a very self reflective mood. Some of the lyrics are quite shocking, yet still resound as poetic.

10) Me And My Monkey - 7:12
"Me and my monkey, like Butch and the Sundance Kid" (How sweet)

>>Sound: This song has a wonderful 'Mexicana' feel to it. This is a far cry away from anything else on this album and stands out completely. The percussion is great, he uses a cabasa - LOVE IT! The instruments on this track sound great, trumpets and guitar add a very atmospheric quality to this song which helps Williams with his story-telling. He puts on voices for the other characters that he sings about (some might say it's a dodgy Mexican accent, but I like it). At last, Williams is being playful, especially with the way he uses his voice. This album has had a very serious quality up until now - hurrah - something different to make us stand to attention good and proper. **Be warned there are monkey w****s in this song** (how lovely)
>>About: I love this song. We are told a story and taken on a journey to Las Vegas...with a monkey. You would be forgiven for thinking that the monkey, is an analogy for his manhood, well this may be so, but it talks and has other monkey friends...well, it could be his manhood...but the naive guy in me is convinced that that is just an irony! When I first heard this song, I thought 'wow', Williams has gone on a leap of faith to break away from the other 'confessional' style songs on this album and plumped for a song that tells a story, seemingly unrelated to anything we know about him as a person. Good on that man, a very creative and great track!

11) Song 3 - 3:48
"I'm stopping traffic 'cause they dig the fame" (hmmm m'ok then)

>>Sound: Assumedly, this song is titled in homage to Blur's 'Song2' (gosh, there really does some to be a connection here with Blur), only it's not as good - ouch. No, it's not bad, but sounds like a track from his previous album along the lines of 'Old Before I Die' (puh-lease, boring, boring, boring). This is the sort of song that a crowd would 'bounce' to, only because there is nothing else going on in the song. This one is dull mcdull, it's only saving grace being the 'yeah yeah yeahs' in the chorus - hmm that's not saying much is it?
>>About: This song talks about how big he has become in the world and how hectic the lives of today are. He also sings about the growing economy and how shallow and money driven we've become. He mentions Ebay and LA, all power and money hungry...yet Williams appears to be enjoying it...and why not, I guess.

12) Hot Fudge - 4:05
"The Holy Ghost and the whole East Coast are moving to L.A."

>>Sound: This is my favourite song on the album, the upbeat track makes this song catchy and made me sing along during the first time I heard it. The piano at the start is awesome! This is an upbeat and playful sounding track, that makes me feel pure joy when this song comes on in my car. This one is the song to drive to, on a nice road on a sunny day, with all the windows down...enjoy! I can't rave about this enough, he has a great instrumental section also displaying the talents of his skilled band. I'm even feeling happy just thinking about this one. Great beat, great tune, great use of vocal...it's just great really!
>>About: This song seems to be about how much Williams is disliking living in England and about his choices to move to L.A. Everything is bigger and better over there for him...the weather is also an advantage it would seem, well so he says. That's it really, simple. Everyone seems to be going there, so why not?

Track rating: 11/10 (what do you mean that's cheating?)
13) Cursed - 4:01
"Tell God he's got a dirty angel" (oo la la)

>>Sound: Hmm...not such a good'un...instantly forgettable. I can't even begin to hum the tune. This one feels like an album filler more than a decent reason to be on there.
>>About: Hurrah - this isn't a song about himself, well it could be interpreted that way. He's singing to someone who hasn't had a great shot at life so far.

14) Nan's Song - 3:52
"There's a strange kind of light, caressing me tonight. Pray silence my fear, she is near, bringing heaven down here" (beautiful)

>>Sound: Ballad...a very beautiful ballad.
>>About: Now, I have difficulty hearing this track as it makes me quite upset, as I fully appreciate and relate to it's sentiment. This song is a truly beautiful and touching song about his Nan, who passed away. That's all I have to say on it. It's a beautiful way to end the album (geeees, I'm even starting to get a lump in my throat, at the memory of some of the lyrics)

...What there's more??? O yes, this album has...dun dun dun...2, yes 2, hidden tracks. The first one is shortly after the end of 'Nan's song' and is called 'Save the Children' or sometimes refered to as 'How Peculiar, reprise'. Its not bad, but i'm glad it's not 'an album' track. The next one is right at the end, after 12:07 minutes. It's full of questions like 'Is the Richard Gere gerbil story true?', 'Did Sooty sleep with Sue?' - makes you wonder why his head so messed up really, doesn't it? This is quirky song, sung seriously and simply...it's ok...but somewhat pointless...yet I know it's one of those ones that fans with lap up. It's called 'I tried Love', I believe (he also asks where Gary Barlow's gone...he can't let it lie, can he? How we scoff now).

END OF ALBUM

Overall album rating: 8/10 (111/140 to be exact)

The album sleeve: I love the design of the album artwork, on the front we see Williams hanging upside by his feet above a city skyline...obviously a visual representation (ooo get me) of how he feels. I like the way on the back of the CD, the track listing is the wrong way up too. The sleeve is filled with lovely pictures of the man himself, as one might expect, along with the usual credits and a strange picture of him on the back page, looking enormous - check it out. Also, the lyrics are included...so you can learn 'Hot Fudge' and drive really fast, knowing the right words...hurrah...ooo but don't read and drive, that's bad! The CD itself is gold...oo la la.

The album can be bought as an online download, or in most shops that sell CDs rather cheaply now...as it is quite old...Bargain!

Since talking about his music, I've developed a new found respect for William's album and more over the confessional stance with his music. This type of music appeals to me as it is based on reality - compared to other music such as Justin Timberlake's latest album (check out my review on that to check out what I mean, his lyrical content is awful) where the lyrics are general run of the mill 'baby, baby, baby, I love you'. A lot of songs grow and develop as the songs progress which is great - as it keeps us guessing. As we know, from the nature of some of the lyrics I have talked about, Williams is totally exposed on this album and makes himself vulnerable - something very credible and should be saluted, I feel.

I've had this album since it's release and it's one of those ones, that I never hide too far down in my collection as I like to get it out now and then. This isn't an album to be sniffed at, it is very, very good and I'm sure I will still be listening to it in years to come.

Oh, by the way, check out www.robbiewilliams.com should you want to know more stuff about the man himself.

Thanks for reading :)

© MarcoG 2008

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.