GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Royal Junk Mail"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 30/08/06 at 10:52
Regular
I've never been a fan of Royal Mail, every time I send a letter I find out the prices have gone up. I hate queuing at the Post Office, as someone who's sold many items on ebay nothing frustrates me more than being given 4 large stamps just for one parcel. They're so big I can barely lick them, what's the point? You have a stupid machine that can print the value out, don't waste my time and the peoples behind me, by giving me all these things to lick.

I remember a time when we got post at 7:30 every morning, now we're lucky to get it by lunch time. The worst was probably 3pm. What's up with that? How are we suppose to sign for stuff when you insist on knocking on our door at 11am when you know full well that we're all at work.

Now they've introduced this size and weight charge which will mean paying even more P&P when you buy things on ebay and the internet. The only people who'll benefit from this are all the companies sending us bills and junk mail.

Oh sorry, yes my reason for this rant, well the other day there was an article in The Sun about a postman who might lose his job for delivering his own leaflet telling people how to stop Royal Mail from spamming your letterbox. That's right, before you would just get your mail, now you get some of your mail (because they can't carry it all) and about 7 items of leaflets and booklets. I don't want all this rubbish, it just means more stuff I have to throw in the recycle bin. I may as well just place it directly underneath the letterbox to save time.

There was a number you could call, 0845 7740740 and tell them to stop spamming you. Only now because so many have been calling Royal Mail are being the jerks that they are and have replaced it with a recorded message telling you that you now have to send your request by post. That's right folks, you have to send them a letter, which will earn them money, just to get them to stop spamming you. It's ridiculous.

For those wanting the address anyway, here it is;

Door-to-Door Opt Outs
Royal Mail Door to Door
Kingsmead House
Oxpens Rd
Oxford
OX1 1RX

----

Anyone else got a rant about them?
Thu 31/08/06 at 13:16
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Apparently, something that works is to take the 'Postage Paid' bit off an envelope, and stick it on a big fat box filled with whatever (polystyrene, shredded newspaper, junk mail, whatever) and slap on the address of the company who's 'Postage Paid' thing you're using.

They have to pay the postage for this big package, and it turns up at their office full of crap they don't want, and the postage is a lot because it's a big bulky box. Apparently that stops them sending you junk mail anymore. Well, that particular company anyway.
Thu 31/08/06 at 13:12
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Heard about this on t'radio before. Some Royal Mail guy was saying how opting out wouldn't actually stop you getting junk mail, because many other people deliver it too. For example, I think some places that deliver papers also deliver junk mail, they just get the paper boy to carry extra leaflets and whatnot. And a lot of local businesses get someone to go around and just stuff bits through the letterbox (at my Uni house we literally get someone delivering a Take Away menu of some sort every day).

The guy was also saying how he wouldn't talk about this individual case, but insisted that if customers ask for information regarding opting out, they'd be given it. I think it's disgraceful this guy is suspended, obviously many people don't want this junk mail, and obviously many people don't (or didn't) know how to opt-out. I know it goes against the interests of the Royal Mail as a business, as they earn lots of cash out of junk mail, but the way they're treating someone who was simply handing out information which they claim is easily accessible anyway reeks of hypocrisy. If the information was easy to obtain, surely the leaflets make no difference, if the information wasn't easy to obtain then it should have been and the Royal Mail are only kicking up a fuss because now many more people will opt-out, lessening their earning potential from junk mail.
Wed 30/08/06 at 20:54
Regular
My old man writes 'return to sender' on junk mail ... then never gets around to posting it ... true story ... :S
Wed 30/08/06 at 20:39
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Cheers Hmmm..., hopefully that'll work a treat.
Wed 30/08/06 at 20:27
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
As i'm in the middle of a job application with them to go back again then Royal Mail are great, however if i don't get the job, they're a sham of an organisation, full of managerial muppets and an absolute joke
Wed 30/08/06 at 20:17
"Are you sure?"
Grandprix wrote:
> They ask for the person so I ask who is calling. They give me
> their name and the name of their company. I write that down and
> then say:
>
> "I have made a note of your company name and if I receive
> one more call from you, I will report you."
>
> It's an idle threat at the moment until I find a place to
> actually report them...

This works - telephone preference service: [URL]http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/[/URL]
I haven't had one call from some dodgy phone company calling from India since I registered with them about a year ago.

Haven't tried this yet - mail preference service: [URL]http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/[/URL]
Wed 30/08/06 at 20:15
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
I can't claim any credit for this (that goes to my brother)...
When he gets call offering free mobile phones or contracts instead of explaining that he doesn't want one (then you get repeatedly asked why) he tells them he's amish.

The post (delivery) has improved a lot over the past few year in my town, I think they've reorganised the routes and changed the posties around.
It used to be that our postie would be finishing off his round at around 4pm by the time our post was delivered which went against Royal mails own rules for delivery (I think).
Wed 30/08/06 at 17:47
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
They ask for the person so I ask who is calling. They give me their name and the name of their company. I write that down and then say:

"I have made a note of your company name and if I receive one more call from you, I will report you."

It's an idle threat at the moment until I find a place to actually report them...
Wed 30/08/06 at 17:43
Regular
I know what you mean GP, we get them a lot still despite putting our number on that "do not call" list. I dont know what to say to them as I'm bad on the phone so I just disconnect the phone. I wonder if they get bothered by that. I should learn to just interupt them straight away and just say "no thank you bye"
Wed 30/08/06 at 17:32
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I don't mind junk mail so much as you can always throw it away. It's the annoying phone calls from companies trying to sell you a mobile phone or a mortgage.

They've been trying a new tactic on the phone calls recently. They claim that a member of the household has agreed to telephone calls in a survey they filled out. I caught them out because the person who supposedly filled the survey out was on holiday at the time they had supposedly did the survey.

Is there a place where you can report nuisance callers? I really want to send some 'companies' down.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.