GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Medal of Honor - Allied Assault and Frontline"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 24/06/02 at 17:39
Regular
Question for those who own both PC and PS2...

Any of you played both MoH:AA on PC AND MoH:F on PS2?

I've got Allied Assault, and it's brilliant - best FPS game to date in my view.

I'm considering getting Frontline for the PS2, but I know that some of the missions are the same (e.g. Omaha Beach landing).

Any of you got or played both games, and is Frontline different enough to warrant buying if you've played Allied Assault?

Cheers.
Sun 14/07/02 at 13:07
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Wookiee already had Allied Assault, he was talking about the PS2's Frontline MOH. After reading allot about the PS2 version of the game, I've decided to put buying it on hold for a while.

Especially sinse I heard that EA who made the PS2 edition (I think anyway) rushed the PC version of the game before the developers had time to finish it.
Sat 13/07/02 at 21:24
i have played Medal of Honor - Allied Assault the graphic of the game is quite good i liked the game but i have not completed the game yet!!!!!!!!!
Fri 12/07/02 at 21:37
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
It's gay.

Nah, it's ok.
I played it with Hooplah and it's cool, I just couldn't get to grips with the control method.
I'm used to being able to whip around, target in a second or two, leg it away and pop out from behind corners etc.

It's weird to have to stop and move the crosshair before shooting, it's fluid on the PC.
But like he said, the enemies are a bit more forgiving (slower) to allow you chance to get your weapon up and fire.

The one issue I found that sucked was no in-game save. You couldn't do a really tough bit and save.
I got up the beach having done the little "Cover me" bits and bangalores, made it to the trenches and then got shot.
Right back to the beginning of the beach level for you now sonny.

Bah.
I prefer the PC version, but that's because I have yet to play a FPS better than Allied Assault.
And Halo is still my console fav for FPS.

It's a good game.
And different.
Thu 04/07/02 at 11:22
"High polygon count"
Hooplah, that's great! Exactly the sort of info I wanted.

I'll be trading in my Xbox freebies for it as soon as possible - cheers!
Thu 04/07/02 at 10:02
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
Okay, I've played both Allied Assault and Frontline - Completed Allied Assault and about half way through Frontline.

To get the obvious out of the way straight off, yes of course AA is graphically superior to FL, anybody who expects otherwise is missing something upstairs. FL does give a good account of itself though, the graphics are sharp with no pop up (so far), the colours are good, explosions are done well - all in all it's a pretty damn good effort in my opinion. The bad guys are rendered as well as any on the PS2. Admittedly, the Germans sometimes look a bit odd when standing side on, but nothing that ruins the game experience. They die quite nicely as well, screaming all of the way down from their lookout towers.

Sound in FL is as good as AA, probably better in fact, depending on how you've got your t.v. rigged. Not much to comment here really, the guns all sound great, the vehicles make the right noises - all just fine.

So game play then. Most people latch on to the control system being cumbersome, and yes, compared to a mouse/keyboard interface it is. After about half an hour you'll be used to it. I couldn't get to grips with Halo straight away, and that has a great control system. It's not surprising though, considering the amount of FPS's you play with the good old W/S/A/D and mouse combination. There are plenty of different control options in FL, and a custom option as well. No problems.

The missions I've played so far on FL are very good, and different from the missions in AA. The Omaha beach level is there in FL. It's on the same section of beach in Normandy as AA, but that's where the similarity ends. Getting up the beach is more interactive than FL, retrieving the Bangalores is different - taking out the MG42 nests is accomplished in a different way. In fact, the mission is different all the way to the end.

The other missions I've played so far are pretty good, and although FL isn't as cinematically pleasing as AA, in some areas of game play it has the edge. FL requires a little more interaction in order to progress though the missions - something that feels very familiar to the console player. AA on the PC follows the same sort of formula all of the way through:

1: Go here, take plans, kill any Germans and there pets on the way.
2: Plant this, don't stand too close either.
3: End of level.

FL offers a little more structure to it's missions (so far). The aim is the same, but how you get there is just a little more varied. A bit more lateral thinking is required here, and though it's not exactly the Krypton Factor, it does add something to the game experience.

The only issue that I've found with the game play so far, is actually IMO related to the control system. If you walk round the corner of a building in AA, to confront five of the Bosh, if you're not running for cover within a second or so you know you're up for a lead induced increase of mass. FL is a little more forgiving than this, the Nazis take a couple of seconds longer to get shots off at you. I feel that this is because moving the cross hair via the analogue pad take longer than using the mouse to whiz it around. It's not like you can just stand in the open and waste them 'Commando' style, you just get a bit more leeway. I don't know if it's intentional or not, but it seems to make sense to me.

I've been cautious Wookiee and rented FL first, but I will be getting it. Personally speaking, I don't think you'll be dissapointed, I think it offers enough of a difference from AA to warrant purchase.
Mon 01/07/02 at 22:57
Wookie, it isn't worth getting. I have both, and the control system on the PS2 is poor - even though it can be customised, it feels awkward.

ALso, the colour palettes used are drab, especially when compared with AA. Apparently, it portrays the authenticity of the real thing, but that doesn't work with me.
Tue 25/06/02 at 11:38
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Well I haven't got frontline yet, but it is a game that I want for my collection. I've played the previous titles on the PSone, and they where great, that's why I'm expecting this newest incarnation of the game on the PS2 to be just as enjoyable to play.

I think both games lack things that the other one has, but in my opinion they both make up for it in variety of the game play and mission on offer.

The MOH series has yet to disappoint me in the shear quality of the games it produces, all the titles so far (MOH, MOH: Underground, MOH: Allied Assault) have been great, and from what I've heard frontline is continuing that trend of this series.

It's defiantly on my games list anyway.
Mon 24/06/02 at 17:39
"High polygon count"
Question for those who own both PC and PS2...

Any of you played both MoH:AA on PC AND MoH:F on PS2?

I've got Allied Assault, and it's brilliant - best FPS game to date in my view.

I'm considering getting Frontline for the PS2, but I know that some of the missions are the same (e.g. Omaha Beach landing).

Any of you got or played both games, and is Frontline different enough to warrant buying if you've played Allied Assault?

Cheers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.