GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Distractions"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 23/06/02 at 15:17
Regular
Argh! You know the feeling, you’ve just sat down to enjoy the game of your choice when a crucial moment comes along. Suddenly a family member walks past the TV blocking your view with their backside leaving you failing on that one time you were doing so well.

Throughout the time I’ve been gaming this is the biggest bug I’ve found in any game and it seems to happen, to me and maybe many of you, in every single game I play.

It’s not just what I mentioned above though it’s many other things. Like the times my Dad thinks he’s some guy at a pit-stop and thinks he’s doing me a favour wiping my windscreen on a driving game with a cloth. Ok sure he needs to clean the dust off the TV once in a while but must he do it when every corner of the track is important and timing is essential?

Or how about the time your arrogant little sister wants to watch the TV and as she is youngest gets the longest straw? “I’ll just finish this part and you can watch Eastenders ok?” What does she do? Picks up the remote and turns the channel over. You do not want to know the events that follows :-D

On the subjects of sisters, ever had a brother or sister actually turn your console off by the mains or by the power switch thinking they are funny? Well, if you are a single child I envy you.

We all know that sound is essential in a game, it brings you right into any game giving you a great feel to it. But does the cheesiest number one song make you do well? Ever had that one person turn on a stereo near by a pump up the volume? Ever wanted to lash out at them? I’m investing in a nice pair of headphones soon I think…

Grrrrrrr some of these things really annoy me.

I try not to let too many people on some of my games. Once my cousin came round, he was only small. Pressed the ‘erase’ option on one of my saved games. I gripped my teeth and tried to think that nothing happened, I didn’t want to look TOO angry in front of my uncle’s. “It’s fine, I can always go back and do it all again…all thirty hours worth”. Word of advice…don’t trust anyone below the age of 10 on your games console. Another reason for this is that they may break your control pad too, I had my control stick on my N64 snapped and the new one puked over. Must have been the motion sickness…

Ok some of them may be annoying, but one thing that is even more annoying, even out of the game is that dreaded thing that lurks under your stairs. Yep, you guessed it…The Hoover. Maybe you are fortunate enough to have a ‘quiet’ Hoover but I am unfortunately not. Ever so often my Dad pulls out the Hoover and I sigh whenever I hear it, my Dad is lethal with a Hoover, there is no stopping him. If you’re legs are in the way he barges past them with the Hoovers stick thing and he doesn’t care what gets in his way, he’ll suck it up. Better let him have a go on Luigi’s Mansion…that Hoovers less dramatic then the one we have.

I’m sure there are many other things that distract you from a game you’re really getting into, if you have some add them, it may remind me. Also tell me some incidents you’ve had with young people, any words of advice?

Thanks for reading the rant :-D
Sun 23/06/02 at 15:17
"Uzi Lover"
Argh! You know the feeling, you’ve just sat down to enjoy the game of your choice when a crucial moment comes along. Suddenly a family member walks past the TV blocking your view with their backside leaving you failing on that one time you were doing so well.

Throughout the time I’ve been gaming this is the biggest bug I’ve found in any game and it seems to happen, to me and maybe many of you, in every single game I play.

It’s not just what I mentioned above though it’s many other things. Like the times my Dad thinks he’s some guy at a pit-stop and thinks he’s doing me a favour wiping my windscreen on a driving game with a cloth. Ok sure he needs to clean the dust off the TV once in a while but must he do it when every corner of the track is important and timing is essential?

Or how about the time your arrogant little sister wants to watch the TV and as she is youngest gets the longest straw? “I’ll just finish this part and you can watch Eastenders ok?” What does she do? Picks up the remote and turns the channel over. You do not want to know the events that follows :-D

On the subjects of sisters, ever had a brother or sister actually turn your console off by the mains or by the power switch thinking they are funny? Well, if you are a single child I envy you.

We all know that sound is essential in a game, it brings you right into any game giving you a great feel to it. But does the cheesiest number one song make you do well? Ever had that one person turn on a stereo near by a pump up the volume? Ever wanted to lash out at them? I’m investing in a nice pair of headphones soon I think…

Grrrrrrr some of these things really annoy me.

I try not to let too many people on some of my games. Once my cousin came round, he was only small. Pressed the ‘erase’ option on one of my saved games. I gripped my teeth and tried to think that nothing happened, I didn’t want to look TOO angry in front of my uncle’s. “It’s fine, I can always go back and do it all again…all thirty hours worth”. Word of advice…don’t trust anyone below the age of 10 on your games console. Another reason for this is that they may break your control pad too, I had my control stick on my N64 snapped and the new one puked over. Must have been the motion sickness…

Ok some of them may be annoying, but one thing that is even more annoying, even out of the game is that dreaded thing that lurks under your stairs. Yep, you guessed it…The Hoover. Maybe you are fortunate enough to have a ‘quiet’ Hoover but I am unfortunately not. Ever so often my Dad pulls out the Hoover and I sigh whenever I hear it, my Dad is lethal with a Hoover, there is no stopping him. If you’re legs are in the way he barges past them with the Hoovers stick thing and he doesn’t care what gets in his way, he’ll suck it up. Better let him have a go on Luigi’s Mansion…that Hoovers less dramatic then the one we have.

I’m sure there are many other things that distract you from a game you’re really getting into, if you have some add them, it may remind me. Also tell me some incidents you’ve had with young people, any words of advice?

Thanks for reading the rant :-D
Sun 23/06/02 at 15:21
Regular
My sister always used to turn mu computer off during a big game where you cannot save it yet. Once, I was just about to get onto the next level of a game where I could save it, and ARGH, to my horror, my dog walked on my console (which was on the floor) and trod on the power switch, turning it off!
Sun 23/06/02 at 15:26
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I used to have problems like this, but soon after the purchase of my N64 I got a TV in my room, so had pretty much an end to the problems...

But once a mate asked if I could win this bit in Goldeney for him that he couldn't do, I said okay. It was a US version, so I needed the adaptor and needed to plug in a key game (basically any PAL game)... I put my Goldeneye in, when I went to play it again it had wiped. With all my cheats I had earned, the 007 mode, every level unlocked, every level won on all settings... you get the idea... I was not a happy bunny. Thankfully it didn't take so long to earn it all back the second time, all that practice going through it once did help a lot...
Sun 23/06/02 at 15:32
Regular
"I like cheese"
My Computer System is just underneath my legs, but I usually move it back onto the wall. However, this time I'd pulled it out to plug the microphone in, and forgotten to push it back. After completing a very successful season with AS Roma on Championship Manager, I proceeded to move my chair forward a little and ended up 'kneeing' the on/off switch.

I was a little unhappy to say the least.
Sun 23/06/02 at 15:40
"Uzi Lover"
Ah Ant, that reminds me of my firend Robin...

He made his own PC and like yours and mine, the motherboard is underneath his desk. So Usually I sit beside him right next to the motherboard and I remember just touching it and it shutting down. Maybe it's just alittle sensitive?

He gets a bit annoyed when i do that but I don't mean it, it's just a stupid PC he made that likes to switch itself off when someone just slightly touchs it.

AH I remmeber what I done now. The phone rests on it, so I used the phone to call someone (obviously) and I put it back where it was on top of the motherboard and it switched off. Just as he was doing really well in Read Alert 2 :-D
Sun 23/06/02 at 15:45
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Oy!

Havent I seen this before?

hmmm
Sun 23/06/02 at 15:47
"Uzi Lover"
Hercules! wrote:
> Havent I seen this before?

Great minds think alike :-)
Sun 23/06/02 at 16:17
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
I hate when people walk right in front of the screen blatantly, without even having the decency to say 'excuse me'.

It's damn annoying!
Sun 23/06/02 at 16:22
"period drama"
Well, had anyone dodged anbout 180+ lightning strikes on FFX when their mother talks to them about the coursework you should be doing.

Have you?
Have you?

I have.
Sun 23/06/02 at 16:24
"Uzi Lover"
Posh Kid wrote:
> I hate when people walk right in front of the screen blatantly,
> without even having the decency to say 'excuse me'.

I just kick them out the way, if I can.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.