GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The great GTA console fight."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Grand Theft Auto IV'.
Fri 04/04/08 at 16:21
"possibly impossible"
GTA4 - we all know it's probably going to be the biggest selling game of the year. If we're lucky it will deserve to be too (although if we're really really lucky, something better will appear this year).

But with the game coming out on both PS3 and 360 and with the PS3 fast catching up on previously missed sales, this is one important title for both platforms.

The news that the 360 version is to have unique downloadable content ruffled a few feathers down at Sony. Admittedly, all they have to do is bung Rockstar some money, just like Microsoft did, and they'll get some of their own, but for now it seems to be a good consideration point for would-be console owners upgrading to a new console for the game or even for those with 2 systems.

Of course, you can also argue that some people may be going the other way and deciding to get the title on PS3 as all the negative news about the 360's failure rate means you'll theoretically be playing it on a more stable system. Or that the PS3 offers fee-free online play.

But until the reviews start coming in with a comparison of the main game on the 2 rival formats, we won't really know if there's any difference to the package you buy in the shops and therefore any reason beyond downloads to get one over the other.

So, are you getting the game? If so, what format and why? And do you think it matters in the great scheme of things just how many copies sell on each format?
Sat 05/04/08 at 13:55
Regular
"lets go back"
The only reason Microsoft are trying to push the GTA4 sales at the moment is because GTA has become synonymous with the Playstation brand, even though its not a Sony game.

I dont think it matters which console you play the normal game on as it will be pretty much the same on both. Obviously if you want extra content then you have to get the 360 version so I'd obviously get that if it was a choice between the two, but seen as I only own a 360 anyway its not much or a decision to make.

I've been tempted to get a PS3 for ages, but there are still no games that make me think "Wow, I really want to play that" that I cant get on the 360. The PS3 needs more exclusives. How can they use GTA4 to tempt people to their console when its on the 360?
Fri 04/04/08 at 17:13
"possibly impossible"
Grandprix wrote:
> I don't think it matters much which sells more unless you work
> for Microsoft. They probably paid a fair bit for exclusive
> content and would like to see that pay off.

I certainly think they'd need to see it helping sell their console after paying Rockstar extra.

But if significant numbers are sold on PS3, Sony have something to smile about. I don't think it even needs to be more than on 360 at this stage, just that enough gamers are playing GTA on the PS3.
Fri 04/04/08 at 16:45
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I read somewhere that Rockstar were saying that GTA4 would run better on 360 but the PS3 would look better in some areas. If so, there isn't much difference then.

I'm getting it for 360 because I don't have a PS3. I would probably still get it for 360 if I had a PS3, just because of the downloadable content. I would probably eventually get it for PS3 if I had the money or felt the urge to get PS3 games.

I don't think it matters much which sells more unless you work for Microsoft. They probably paid a fair bit for exclusive content and would like to see that pay off.
Fri 04/04/08 at 16:21
"possibly impossible"
GTA4 - we all know it's probably going to be the biggest selling game of the year. If we're lucky it will deserve to be too (although if we're really really lucky, something better will appear this year).

But with the game coming out on both PS3 and 360 and with the PS3 fast catching up on previously missed sales, this is one important title for both platforms.

The news that the 360 version is to have unique downloadable content ruffled a few feathers down at Sony. Admittedly, all they have to do is bung Rockstar some money, just like Microsoft did, and they'll get some of their own, but for now it seems to be a good consideration point for would-be console owners upgrading to a new console for the game or even for those with 2 systems.

Of course, you can also argue that some people may be going the other way and deciding to get the title on PS3 as all the negative news about the 360's failure rate means you'll theoretically be playing it on a more stable system. Or that the PS3 offers fee-free online play.

But until the reviews start coming in with a comparison of the main game on the 2 rival formats, we won't really know if there's any difference to the package you buy in the shops and therefore any reason beyond downloads to get one over the other.

So, are you getting the game? If so, what format and why? And do you think it matters in the great scheme of things just how many copies sell on each format?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.