GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"5:1 Surround Sound"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/06/02 at 21:00
Regular
I'm thinking about getting the whole 5:1 digital set for my PS2 except I've a couple of queries :-)

--
1)Does the PS2 have a dolby digital decoder build in?

2)Will it work with any 5:1 speaker set and decoder made for DVD players?

3)Is it worth upgrading from a subwoofer and 6 speakers?
(Stereo not Dolby Surround, and using some naff wire connections)

4)Are they loud enough without the use of the TV speaker?

5)What games support it?

thanks in advance
res
Sat 22/06/02 at 21:00
Regular
"Back For Good"
I'm thinking about getting the whole 5:1 digital set for my PS2 except I've a couple of queries :-)

--
1)Does the PS2 have a dolby digital decoder build in?

2)Will it work with any 5:1 speaker set and decoder made for DVD players?

3)Is it worth upgrading from a subwoofer and 6 speakers?
(Stereo not Dolby Surround, and using some naff wire connections)

4)Are they loud enough without the use of the TV speaker?

5)What games support it?

thanks in advance
res
Sat 22/06/02 at 21:17
Regular
"¬_¬"
Very few games actually support true 5.1 surround sound, although many have the option but just put through left and right audio. But, with games such as Rogue Leader on the GC (I'm treading thin ice, I know), the surround sound makes the game sound awesome.

Look in some of your games' manuals. If they say that they support 5.1 surround sound, then it looks like you're onto a winner. If you manage to get it all rigged up, it does sound bloody brilliant.
Sat 22/06/02 at 21:20
Regular
I'm getting this for my Xbox, well either the 5.1 or 2.1 kit depending on how much money I will have. I know most of the Xbox games support it but I am not sure about the PS2, if you read the bak of the box it will usually tell you in the bottom left corner otherwise it probably doesn't support it. My bedroom is just a nice size so I think the 5.1 kit will totally dround me, the 2.1 kit however comes with 2 5.1 speakers and a wooden sub- woofer cabinet which will be ample for me. My TV is a decent one and the sounds I get from it seem to bounce off my walls so I won't be having my speakers on too loud just enough for back ground noise. Ask at your local EB or GAME store (or of course an SR staff member might answer this) which will be the best set up but buy it from SR.
Sun 23/06/02 at 12:27
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
It does not have a decoder built in, you have to buy a 5.1 decoder and speakers. If you are just using it with your PS2 then its not worth spending a lot on one as the majority of games ( if not all of them ) do not support 5.1 at this time. Some of the cut scenes in MGS2 are in 5.1 but that’s about it. You can get a 5.1 system for £150 from comet and dixons, I think its called 4Gamers or something like that. If you are planning on getting an Xbox then most of the games are in 5.1 so you may want to spend a bit more.
Sun 23/06/02 at 12:51
I've got a standalone DVD player as well as my PS2. the PS2 does not decode dolby digital 5.1 signals and so you'll need a seperate decoder/amplifier. I bought one of sony's models, 250 quid and i'm well pleased with it. Ideally you should look for an amplifier which has digital in/out sockets, this way its just a simple connection. The sound given out on dvd movies will blow you away, its awesome. More and more games are now incorporating 5.1 now also, Medal of honour is amazing!

I not only use it for the above but as my HIFI system buggered up, i now play all my CD's through my dvd or ps2 player

You can also hook the system up to you TV to give that extra volumn. You can turn the TV volumn right down!

hope this helps, give me a shout if you want any more in depth info
Sun 23/06/02 at 19:33
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
I think the Bouncer supports it, but meh doesnt anyone actualy have that?
Sun 23/06/02 at 21:29
Regular
"Back For Good"
thesox, you've convinced me 5:1 it is :-D

*waits for paycheck*
Sun 23/06/02 at 21:55
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Buy a good one though, don't buy some crappy no-name system.

I own a Yamaha system, and it really is great! I have my CD player, PC, Xbox, PS2 and TV hooked up to it. Great! :D
Mon 24/06/02 at 09:31
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
Medal of honour is not actually in 5.1 but it does sound good.
Mon 24/06/02 at 20:31
Regular
"Back For Good"
viperfire1956 wrote:
> Medal of honour is not actually in 5.1 but it does sound good.

What games are actually in 5:1? I only know of FFX, the bouncer and SSX:Tricky!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.