GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So GamerPoints then..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 28/08/06 at 17:06
Regular
"8==="
Hmmmmmm.

On the one-hand it's nice to see people having a fun reason to finish a game on all difficulties (there's no way I'd have played hitman as much if it wasn't for the fun I was having in chasing down the GP). and it's fun to jokingly 'compete' with friends of a similar ranking...

...but then you look at the much lampooned ST the King and the others at the top of the gamerpoints leaderboards (is it fun checking these leaderboard sites to compete against non-friends? I have to say I've never bothered but some reviewers from various magazines are apparently addicted to them) and question where the fun/sad barrier lies on gamepoints.

Thankfully I've yet to meet anyone online who thinks that playing/owning more games than someone else is evidence that the person is more skilled than the person with less points, but on the otherhand those who've maxxed out the points on a game certainly can't be denied to be skilled at the game, or at-least damn determined to get those last few points that are hiding away.

What a strange phenomenon! :D

So what're your views on them? Are they a cynical approach to getting those with a compulsive disorder to buy more games, are they a friendly thing to poke your Live mates about not getting some minor achievements or bottling COD2 half-way through or do you not care either way?

It looks like Sony will be adopting the same idea too so it looks like the things, for good or for bad, will be here to stay.
Sun 15/10/06 at 14:01
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
After the last month where i've really started to play the 360 instead of just having it sitting there doing nothing and then going back to the PS2 recently it's quite amazing how different the games feel playing it on PS2 and how i actually miss the gamerpoints. You actually feel like you're achieving things as you progress and unlock the achievements whereas with the ps2 games it's just like going through the motions.

It's amazing what a little icon with *Achievement unlocked* can do :-)
Mon 28/08/06 at 17:49
Regular
"8==="
Indeed, although there are free ones about.

It would've been good for them to include the gamerpics for free with any extra downloaded content.

As it stands I think you get some gamerpics from playing games, pretty sure I've got a few more from playing Poker and Outpost Kaloki among others.
Mon 28/08/06 at 17:44
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Thats one thing that always annoyed me about the gamerpics.

I'd have thought that after paying for the game you'd have got the gamerpics for that game for free or would have been able to unlock them be completing acheivements.

Instead you have to pay for them which IMO just sucks.
Mon 28/08/06 at 17:40
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Yup i'd like that to, even if it's just the ability to use the pic from the achievement as a gamerpic, just give us something to do with them instead of *oooh i've got 3000 points*
Mon 28/08/06 at 17:32
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
FantasyMeister wrote:

> I'd like to see GP actually used for something though, e.g. if
> you have 1000 GP you can unlock new skins on Marketplace, 2000
> GP gets you a free arcade game download, 3000 GP awards you 200
> points to spend on a download of your choice on the Marketplace
> and so on.

Yeah that would actually be quite good to see. Sure there are other things that they could do with them too.
Mon 28/08/06 at 17:29
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I like them as they do increase how long your likely to play a certain game for. I also like the fact some games also have them for the multiplayer aspects too. I would like to see some more of them being like the ones in GRAW where you have to do something rather special to get them (Ie be first in the online rankings).

These achievements show something that not everybody is going to have. Would also quite like to see new achievements made available for games when you download additional content.

Other than that I'm not really bothered about them, don't think they reflect much skill for the majority of games and I only really compare my scores with people on my friends lists.
Mon 28/08/06 at 17:24
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
http://live.xbox.com/member/FantasyMeister

Even FFXI has achievements now but it'll take me 2 or 3 years at least to unlock them all. Now those really are achievements.

I think they're great, they keep you coming back to a game that usually you'd let gather dust after a first run-through (like my Tomb Raider is currently doing).

But I don't really think they're a good indication of 'gamer ability' or anything like that, because there's no real skill involved in getting them (just lots of spare time and some determination).

I'd like to see GP actually used for something though, e.g. if you have 1000 GP you can unlock new skins on Marketplace, 2000 GP gets you a free arcade game download, 3000 GP awards you 200 points to spend on a download of your choice on the Marketplace and so on. At present they just seem to sit there and have no use.
Mon 28/08/06 at 17:11
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I like it personally, like you said it does give more incentive to keep playing the game and try to get all the achievements. Usually i'll play a game, finish it then just stick it on the shelf and forget about it but with the achievements it gives me a reason to play through again at harder difficulties and get more out the game and more value for my money.

Unfortunately there are sad people so desperate for some online achievements that they'll cheat to get them which ruins it for everyone but then pathetic cheater were around before achievements and they'll still be around after them to.
Mon 28/08/06 at 17:06
Regular
"8==="
Hmmmmmm.

On the one-hand it's nice to see people having a fun reason to finish a game on all difficulties (there's no way I'd have played hitman as much if it wasn't for the fun I was having in chasing down the GP). and it's fun to jokingly 'compete' with friends of a similar ranking...

...but then you look at the much lampooned ST the King and the others at the top of the gamerpoints leaderboards (is it fun checking these leaderboard sites to compete against non-friends? I have to say I've never bothered but some reviewers from various magazines are apparently addicted to them) and question where the fun/sad barrier lies on gamepoints.

Thankfully I've yet to meet anyone online who thinks that playing/owning more games than someone else is evidence that the person is more skilled than the person with less points, but on the otherhand those who've maxxed out the points on a game certainly can't be denied to be skilled at the game, or at-least damn determined to get those last few points that are hiding away.

What a strange phenomenon! :D

So what're your views on them? Are they a cynical approach to getting those with a compulsive disorder to buy more games, are they a friendly thing to poke your Live mates about not getting some minor achievements or bottling COD2 half-way through or do you not care either way?

It looks like Sony will be adopting the same idea too so it looks like the things, for good or for bad, will be here to stay.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.