GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hard Drive Upgrade - Help Needed Please."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/06/02 at 12:18
Regular
I've just added a 2nd hard drive to my PC & is currently drive D.

What I want to do is make this new drive my main drive & transfer all my files to it.
I've managed to copy everything except the Windows 98se operating system.
It wont allow me to copy this over. It starts to copy then an error keeps being displayed saying that a certain file is in use and cannot be copied.
Does anyone know if it can be copied over & if so, how?
I need to be able to do this as I want to remove my old hard drive.

The only way I can think of, at the moment, is to remove my old hard drive & install windows from the cd onto the new hard drive. Is this the only way?

Please help.
Sun 23/06/02 at 02:18
Regular
"relocated"
Actually you can migrate from one drive to another quite painlessly.

If you're using Windows 9x or ME then you can use XCOPY32: boot into DOS and (assuming your moving from drive C: to D:) use the command xcopy32 c:\. d:\ /e/c/r/h/k

There is probably a similar utility for XP but I haven't used it. If you want a more user-friendly utility then try Norton Ghost or the PowerQuest equivalent.
Sat 22/06/02 at 13:49
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
> ukconfederate wrote:
>
> The only way I can think of, at the moment, is to remove my old hard
> drive & install windows from the cd onto the new hard drive. Is
> this the only way?
>
> Please help.

Yes, thats the only way you can do it, copying all the files is not enough to get a working install of windows.

-G
Sat 22/06/02 at 12:18
Regular
"It's Only Me"
I've just added a 2nd hard drive to my PC & is currently drive D.

What I want to do is make this new drive my main drive & transfer all my files to it.
I've managed to copy everything except the Windows 98se operating system.
It wont allow me to copy this over. It starts to copy then an error keeps being displayed saying that a certain file is in use and cannot be copied.
Does anyone know if it can be copied over & if so, how?
I need to be able to do this as I want to remove my old hard drive.

The only way I can think of, at the moment, is to remove my old hard drive & install windows from the cd onto the new hard drive. Is this the only way?

Please help.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.