GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Maggots and movement, a science experiment"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 20/06/02 at 21:57
Regular
Maggots and Movement

Aim- To investigate the factors affecting the movement of maggots.

Maggots are a larva of house flies (blow flies). They are invertebrates, meaning they have no backbone (spine). The maggots feed on rotting flesh and eat constantly if the temperature is above 10 degrees Celsius. Maggots are unable to control their body temperature (Cold blooded); this means that the chemical reactions in cells, e.g. respiration, may vary a lot.
Maggots are able to move due to an antagonistic muscle running along the body. On each segment on the maggots body are tiny bristles (Chaetae) to enable it to grip to the surface.

Prediction- As I am concentrating on the surface that the maggot is moving on, I think that by using a surface with less friction, i.e. plastic, we will decrease the speed of the maggot and moving will not be as easy for it, as by reducing friction the maggot will slip around more and will find it harder to grip to the surface using the tiny bristles (Chaetae). Another problem could be that too much friction makes it hard for the maggot to move over, so I predict that the best surface will be slightly rough (about number 3-4)

Method:

SAFETY: Wash your hand after you have been handling maggots as putting your hand in your mouth after touching maggots could be bad for you, so be safe and wash your hands carefully!

1. Collect maggots
2. Put maggots on paper towel
3. Put two maggots in separate 100ml beakers
4. Fold five strips of paper, all different roughness, to make a “ V ” shape
5. Label the pieces of paper from 1-5, 5 being the roughest and 1 being the smoothest
6. Make sure all the paper is the same length (14cm)
7. Place a piece of paper from the range of 1-5 in between two pencils forming a “ oVo “ shape
8. Place a maggot from one of the beakers at the start of the paper
9. Start the clock as soon as the maggot moves forward
10. Stop the clock when the maggots head touches the end of the strip of paper
11. Record the time
12. Repeat with the second maggot in the other 100ml beaker
13. Repeat steps 1-12 with all the pieces of paper (1-5)
14. Once you have all the times for both maggots on every piece of paper take the average

We decided to use two maggots and take an average so that the time would have been more accurate, in case one maggot is slower or one maggot is a bit faster, so by taking the averages you see what the time would be, roughly, if the maggot were not slow nor fast.

Keep The Same Change
People doing jobs Roughness of paper
Maggots used
Length of paper
Where the experiment takes place

Results:

Paper Maggot 1 Maggot 2
1 45:60 33:90
2 47:01 24:68
3 27:09 23:40
4 56:48 49:41
5 27:89 24:28

Then we added some averages to get a bit of a better idea of what surface was best for a maggot to move on. Here is how it turned out:

Paper Maggot 1 Maggot 2 Average
1 45:60 33:90 39:75
2 47:01 24:68 35:85
3 27:09 23:40 25:25
4 56:48 49:41 52:95
5 27:89 24:28 26:09
Average 40:81 31:13

I put the anomalous results in bold and to solve this we should have used 3 maggots or collected more data to get a better average.
The average speed for Maggot 1 is: Distance divided by speed
Distance= 14 Speed= 40.81
Which equals 0.34 cm/s

The average speed for Maggot 2 is: Distance=14 Speed=31.13
Which equals 0.45cm/s

Conclusion:
From our results we can see several things, firstly we can see that maggot 1 was slower than 2, secondly if friction was too low then the maggots find it hard to move and thirdly, if friction is too high, again, the maggots cannot move as fast.
As the results show, by reducing, friction the maggots cannot get a very good grip on the surface and pull themselves along as well as they could on a surface with more friction. Increasing the friction too high also enables the maggots to move as fast. The perfect condition for the maggots to move on is when friction is present but there is not too much or too little of it. Which is why our quickest times were when we placed the maggots on track 3, this had some friction to but too much.
Our results proved my prediction to be right as I said that the maggots would move fastest on track 3 or 4, the quickest times were of course on track 3, so this proves my prediction to be fairly accurate to the final results.

Evaluation:
The experiment went very well and we got two results for each maggot on each track. The results were fairly reliable but there were one or two anomalous results from maggot 1, but other than the results were fairly consistent.
There weren’t many faults in our experiment except for minor things like a cloud could have passed over causing the light to change and effect the maggot’s movement. Maybe if we used three maggots rather than two the results would have been even better and shown more pattern but we were only able to do two maggots, as time was limited.
The only really anomalous results were from maggot 1 on smoother tracks (1 and 2), this may have been because it stopped for a short while or the light was different, both of these could affect an experiment like this, which is why the results will never be completely perfect. The results were as reliable as possible as everything was kept the same, even down to who started the clock and got the maggots, the only changeable was the roughness of paper and this was all we changed.
I think if we had more results we could have done a better conclusion as the maggots were slow on 4, but fast on 3 and 5, so if we had a roughness in between (4.5), maybe we could have written a more accurate conclusion.
To improve the experiment further we should use more maggots to gain more accurate results and use more tracks, so instead of just 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 we could use 2.5 and 4.5 for example. By doing this we could learn more on the movement of maggots.

Sir Auron
Thu 20/06/02 at 21:57
Regular
"$hit happens"
Maggots and Movement

Aim- To investigate the factors affecting the movement of maggots.

Maggots are a larva of house flies (blow flies). They are invertebrates, meaning they have no backbone (spine). The maggots feed on rotting flesh and eat constantly if the temperature is above 10 degrees Celsius. Maggots are unable to control their body temperature (Cold blooded); this means that the chemical reactions in cells, e.g. respiration, may vary a lot.
Maggots are able to move due to an antagonistic muscle running along the body. On each segment on the maggots body are tiny bristles (Chaetae) to enable it to grip to the surface.

Prediction- As I am concentrating on the surface that the maggot is moving on, I think that by using a surface with less friction, i.e. plastic, we will decrease the speed of the maggot and moving will not be as easy for it, as by reducing friction the maggot will slip around more and will find it harder to grip to the surface using the tiny bristles (Chaetae). Another problem could be that too much friction makes it hard for the maggot to move over, so I predict that the best surface will be slightly rough (about number 3-4)

Method:

SAFETY: Wash your hand after you have been handling maggots as putting your hand in your mouth after touching maggots could be bad for you, so be safe and wash your hands carefully!

1. Collect maggots
2. Put maggots on paper towel
3. Put two maggots in separate 100ml beakers
4. Fold five strips of paper, all different roughness, to make a “ V ” shape
5. Label the pieces of paper from 1-5, 5 being the roughest and 1 being the smoothest
6. Make sure all the paper is the same length (14cm)
7. Place a piece of paper from the range of 1-5 in between two pencils forming a “ oVo “ shape
8. Place a maggot from one of the beakers at the start of the paper
9. Start the clock as soon as the maggot moves forward
10. Stop the clock when the maggots head touches the end of the strip of paper
11. Record the time
12. Repeat with the second maggot in the other 100ml beaker
13. Repeat steps 1-12 with all the pieces of paper (1-5)
14. Once you have all the times for both maggots on every piece of paper take the average

We decided to use two maggots and take an average so that the time would have been more accurate, in case one maggot is slower or one maggot is a bit faster, so by taking the averages you see what the time would be, roughly, if the maggot were not slow nor fast.

Keep The Same Change
People doing jobs Roughness of paper
Maggots used
Length of paper
Where the experiment takes place

Results:

Paper Maggot 1 Maggot 2
1 45:60 33:90
2 47:01 24:68
3 27:09 23:40
4 56:48 49:41
5 27:89 24:28

Then we added some averages to get a bit of a better idea of what surface was best for a maggot to move on. Here is how it turned out:

Paper Maggot 1 Maggot 2 Average
1 45:60 33:90 39:75
2 47:01 24:68 35:85
3 27:09 23:40 25:25
4 56:48 49:41 52:95
5 27:89 24:28 26:09
Average 40:81 31:13

I put the anomalous results in bold and to solve this we should have used 3 maggots or collected more data to get a better average.
The average speed for Maggot 1 is: Distance divided by speed
Distance= 14 Speed= 40.81
Which equals 0.34 cm/s

The average speed for Maggot 2 is: Distance=14 Speed=31.13
Which equals 0.45cm/s

Conclusion:
From our results we can see several things, firstly we can see that maggot 1 was slower than 2, secondly if friction was too low then the maggots find it hard to move and thirdly, if friction is too high, again, the maggots cannot move as fast.
As the results show, by reducing, friction the maggots cannot get a very good grip on the surface and pull themselves along as well as they could on a surface with more friction. Increasing the friction too high also enables the maggots to move as fast. The perfect condition for the maggots to move on is when friction is present but there is not too much or too little of it. Which is why our quickest times were when we placed the maggots on track 3, this had some friction to but too much.
Our results proved my prediction to be right as I said that the maggots would move fastest on track 3 or 4, the quickest times were of course on track 3, so this proves my prediction to be fairly accurate to the final results.

Evaluation:
The experiment went very well and we got two results for each maggot on each track. The results were fairly reliable but there were one or two anomalous results from maggot 1, but other than the results were fairly consistent.
There weren’t many faults in our experiment except for minor things like a cloud could have passed over causing the light to change and effect the maggot’s movement. Maybe if we used three maggots rather than two the results would have been even better and shown more pattern but we were only able to do two maggots, as time was limited.
The only really anomalous results were from maggot 1 on smoother tracks (1 and 2), this may have been because it stopped for a short while or the light was different, both of these could affect an experiment like this, which is why the results will never be completely perfect. The results were as reliable as possible as everything was kept the same, even down to who started the clock and got the maggots, the only changeable was the roughness of paper and this was all we changed.
I think if we had more results we could have done a better conclusion as the maggots were slow on 4, but fast on 3 and 5, so if we had a roughness in between (4.5), maybe we could have written a more accurate conclusion.
To improve the experiment further we should use more maggots to gain more accurate results and use more tracks, so instead of just 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 we could use 2.5 and 4.5 for example. By doing this we could learn more on the movement of maggots.

Sir Auron
Thu 20/06/02 at 22:52
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
I can paste my English homework in if you'd like...

word counts aren't everything my friend. Just a number.
Thu 20/06/02 at 22:55
Regular
"$hit happens"
going around looking for insults are not big and they ain't clever!
Why do you need to say that? please tell me? id like to see your english, is it level 5?
Thu 20/06/02 at 23:23
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Okay so maybe you wanted to share biology homework with us, sorry if I insulted you. All I meant to say was that this is a place to share something personal, something spontaneous, or something entirely random. I'm in a bad mood so ignore me if I seem unduely harsh.

It was a very well written piece of Biology homework and I'm sure that if you tried to write something new, original and fictional it would be very good to read.

Seeing as you mentioned, my English was level 5 when I did it :-)
And I'm sure you're Biology will be, or already is, too.

When I did the maggot experiment we ended up throwing them at each other and planting them in pencil cases, which I'll think you'll agree is waaaaaaaay more fun than trying to make the things move into the light or the dark :-)

Oh and when you do things like this as coursework to get into the top mark bracket you need to have a quantative hypothesis. Basically you need to give an exact numerical guess at what the outcome will be and justify it with a formula or such like... but invariably the maggots or plants emitting oxygen bubbles, or chips absorbing water, don't do what they're meant to...

Anyway I'm sorry for insulting you, it's nothing personal I've just got exams and I'm being generally iritable, but I'm happy now :-)
Thu 20/06/02 at 23:28
Regular
"$hit happens"
Well good, at east u admit ur bitter, lol.

I actually got top marks for it and i agree with planting the maggots in the pencil cases as people freak.
Thu 20/06/02 at 23:38
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
So erm why exactly did you post this?
Fri 21/06/02 at 10:27
"Darth Vader 3442321"
My University final year project was entitled: Environmental and Physiological factors affecting the Micro-habitat selection in the common rough woodlouse (Porcellio Scaber).

I didn't do a very good degree.....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.