GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The end of the Console war"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/06/02 at 21:46
Regular
Firstly let me start of by saying, this is not another piece of text saying one console is better than the other. Everyone is sick of those. Do not worry this is hopefully the end of what has been a rather long and annoying war!

In this I will present you with the facts of the three consoles and then a little surprise at the end, but keep reading as I promise this is original and not one in favour of any console, all these facts are approximately genuine, I have not made one console sound the best, so here we go;

The Playstation 2(£300 at launch, now £200)
In Japan it was released in March 2000 and has sold around 8 million, just in Japan! Pretty impressive.

In the U.S.A it was released in October 2000 and has sold around 8,332,000. Not as many as Japan but still, it has made Sony some money!

The Ps2 was released over here in November 2000, and has sold 2,270,516. This gives the Ps2 around 8,010,602,516. This is a pretty high seller, but bare in mind it has been out the longest!

The X-box (£300 at launch, £200 now)
Microsoft’s first console, how did it do then?
Well in Japan it failed to reach 8 million but still sold 190,000. Being released in February 2002.

Over in America it was released in November 2001 and has sold 1,794,000. A descent number for a first console.

Here it was released on the 14th of March 2002. Only selling 73,493. A low number in today’s standard.
The x-box has a total selling of 2,057,493

The Game cube:(£130)
Nintendo goes to disc, mini disk with Sonic, things don’t seem right but the figures will tell the truth.
In Japan it was released in September 2001 and sold around 1.5 million. Higher than the X-box! But released before

In the U.S.A it was released in November and sold approx. 1,489,00. So about the same time as the X-box but still lacked what the Yanks wanted. Maybe they favour their country, or don’t like cartoon graphics?
The gamecube has sold approx. 1,500,148,900 worldwide.

Here it was released a little while ago, on the 3rd of May and has not been out long enough for numbers to be of any importance so I have not got the figures yet.

So as you can see by the figures, Sony were right in bringing out their console first, was this good marketing, experience or just a better console. Or maybe people were impatient and wanted the new 128bit console, who knows?

So that is the selling figures but now I have some information on the power of these three titans.
Ps2: Storage medium- CD-Rom (650mb) and a DVD
CPU-128 bit Emotion Engine at 300 MHz
Polygons per second- 66 million
Total memory- 40mb

X-box: Storage medium-2-5x DVD, 8gb hard drive, built in
CPU- 733 MHz Intel chip
Polygons per second- 120 million
Total memory- 64mb

GC: Storage medium- 8cm gamecube disc, 1.5Gb capacity.
CPU- 128 bit, IBM power PC ‘Gekko’ 405 MHz
Polygons per second- 6-12 million
Total memory- 43mb

There you have the power, the X-box winning in that department. In my opinion, it is not the console that makes the game; it’s the games that make the console!
So now let me show you the top 5 games out for each and a few coming out

Out Now

Ps2: Metal Gear Solid 2
GTA3
Gt3
FFX &
Jak and Daxter

X-box: Halo
DOA3
Championship manager 01/ 02
Project Gotham Racing &
Jet set Radio Future

Gamecube: Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Monkey ball
Wave race
Sonic Adventure 2 battle &
Rouge Squadron

Coming Soon

Ps2: FFXI
Tekken 4
GTA4
GT4 &
Metal Gear Solid 3

X-box: Halo 2
Crazy taxi 3
Dino Crisis 3
Metal Gear X &
Project Ego

Gamecube: Mario Sunshine
Legend of Zelda
Final Fantasy
Resident evil &
Starfox Adventures

I think it is an even match for the GC and the Ps2, but the X-box in my opinion lacks the edge, except for Halo!!

Decision time!!!

Well I am not going to make a decision for you (see a surprise) but in fact I have made a little quiz, and then as I have presented the facts and the quiz it should make you decide for yourself, because who cares what your best friend thinks, if you like multiplayer, get a GC, if you like PC games, go for the X-box. It is your choice and this will help you!

All you do is answer yes or no and then at the end, the one you have the most yes on is the one for you!

Get a Ps2 if…..
You like watching DVD’s yes/no
You don’t want to wait for loads of games yes/no
You want the budget games (platinum) yes/no
You love driving Sims yes/no

Get an X-box if…..
You must play Halo yes/no
You like PC games yes/no
You want the most powerful one yes/no
You want to play DVD’s yes/no

Get a GC if…..
You love multiplayer yes/no
You want the cheapest console yes/no
You love Mario or Zelda yes/no
You want the coolest joypad yes/no

Did you find out which one was bets for you, now hopefully this settles the console war, they are all great machines and it is your own opinion to which you think is the best, but we here at GAD do not want to hear it anymore.

To summarize, the console war is down to you and after looking through the facts I have given you, no one else can tell you what you like, only you can. If you like multiplayers go for the GC if you like one player, take your pick on any. So there we have it the end of the console wars!

Thank you for reading and I hope the facts were useful. J
Thu 20/06/02 at 23:05
Regular
"$hit happens"
yea i know that now about MGSS but when i wrote it on word it was still MGS X, speaking of Gamesmaster, i have been waiting for the new issue and it is like a week late and not in the newsagents, have any of you got it?
Thu 20/06/02 at 23:01
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Looks quite similar to something done in the Gamesmaster mag a couple of months ago. There are certain areas that really come more down to opinion too. Personally I wasn't too happy with the GC pad although it was comfatable to hold. As for the games you mentioned in the games to come out, I dunno if PS2 and GC owners are happy with the 5 you mentioned but theres some better titles coming out on the X-Box than some that you mentioned.

Metal Gear Solid X is actually MGS Substance which is also goign to appear on PS2. As for MGS3, I'm guessing that will appear on both PS2 and X-Box when its finally done.
Thu 20/06/02 at 23:00
Regular
"$hit happens"
Thanx!

Mr. Happy why are you saying pop? what does this mean to you as we would all like you to elaborate and enlighten us with your new found word.

Again thanx
Thu 20/06/02 at 22:56
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
It was a good post anyway.
Thu 20/06/02 at 22:54
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
I don't know why he has popped but he has done the same in nearly every topic.
Thu 20/06/02 at 22:52
Regular
"$hit happens"
why did you say "pop"?
Thu 20/06/02 at 18:12
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
pop
Wed 19/06/02 at 22:02
Regular
"$hit happens"
True about the facts and i too went and got a GC but still have my faithful Ps2 to play on, you can't beat games like FFX, despite Nintendo are trying very hard, i like the look of Pikmin and i liked Luigi's Mansion
Wed 19/06/02 at 21:58
Regular
"**I'm Disposable**"
A lot of facts and figures in there :) I suppose each gamer will look over the games which come out on each console to decide which on they want. I decided to venture out into the world of nintendo due to their great line up of games this year + the console was cheaper :)
Wed 19/06/02 at 21:46
Regular
"$hit happens"
Firstly let me start of by saying, this is not another piece of text saying one console is better than the other. Everyone is sick of those. Do not worry this is hopefully the end of what has been a rather long and annoying war!

In this I will present you with the facts of the three consoles and then a little surprise at the end, but keep reading as I promise this is original and not one in favour of any console, all these facts are approximately genuine, I have not made one console sound the best, so here we go;

The Playstation 2(£300 at launch, now £200)
In Japan it was released in March 2000 and has sold around 8 million, just in Japan! Pretty impressive.

In the U.S.A it was released in October 2000 and has sold around 8,332,000. Not as many as Japan but still, it has made Sony some money!

The Ps2 was released over here in November 2000, and has sold 2,270,516. This gives the Ps2 around 8,010,602,516. This is a pretty high seller, but bare in mind it has been out the longest!

The X-box (£300 at launch, £200 now)
Microsoft’s first console, how did it do then?
Well in Japan it failed to reach 8 million but still sold 190,000. Being released in February 2002.

Over in America it was released in November 2001 and has sold 1,794,000. A descent number for a first console.

Here it was released on the 14th of March 2002. Only selling 73,493. A low number in today’s standard.
The x-box has a total selling of 2,057,493

The Game cube:(£130)
Nintendo goes to disc, mini disk with Sonic, things don’t seem right but the figures will tell the truth.
In Japan it was released in September 2001 and sold around 1.5 million. Higher than the X-box! But released before

In the U.S.A it was released in November and sold approx. 1,489,00. So about the same time as the X-box but still lacked what the Yanks wanted. Maybe they favour their country, or don’t like cartoon graphics?
The gamecube has sold approx. 1,500,148,900 worldwide.

Here it was released a little while ago, on the 3rd of May and has not been out long enough for numbers to be of any importance so I have not got the figures yet.

So as you can see by the figures, Sony were right in bringing out their console first, was this good marketing, experience or just a better console. Or maybe people were impatient and wanted the new 128bit console, who knows?

So that is the selling figures but now I have some information on the power of these three titans.
Ps2: Storage medium- CD-Rom (650mb) and a DVD
CPU-128 bit Emotion Engine at 300 MHz
Polygons per second- 66 million
Total memory- 40mb

X-box: Storage medium-2-5x DVD, 8gb hard drive, built in
CPU- 733 MHz Intel chip
Polygons per second- 120 million
Total memory- 64mb

GC: Storage medium- 8cm gamecube disc, 1.5Gb capacity.
CPU- 128 bit, IBM power PC ‘Gekko’ 405 MHz
Polygons per second- 6-12 million
Total memory- 43mb

There you have the power, the X-box winning in that department. In my opinion, it is not the console that makes the game; it’s the games that make the console!
So now let me show you the top 5 games out for each and a few coming out

Out Now

Ps2: Metal Gear Solid 2
GTA3
Gt3
FFX &
Jak and Daxter

X-box: Halo
DOA3
Championship manager 01/ 02
Project Gotham Racing &
Jet set Radio Future

Gamecube: Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Monkey ball
Wave race
Sonic Adventure 2 battle &
Rouge Squadron

Coming Soon

Ps2: FFXI
Tekken 4
GTA4
GT4 &
Metal Gear Solid 3

X-box: Halo 2
Crazy taxi 3
Dino Crisis 3
Metal Gear X &
Project Ego

Gamecube: Mario Sunshine
Legend of Zelda
Final Fantasy
Resident evil &
Starfox Adventures

I think it is an even match for the GC and the Ps2, but the X-box in my opinion lacks the edge, except for Halo!!

Decision time!!!

Well I am not going to make a decision for you (see a surprise) but in fact I have made a little quiz, and then as I have presented the facts and the quiz it should make you decide for yourself, because who cares what your best friend thinks, if you like multiplayer, get a GC, if you like PC games, go for the X-box. It is your choice and this will help you!

All you do is answer yes or no and then at the end, the one you have the most yes on is the one for you!

Get a Ps2 if…..
You like watching DVD’s yes/no
You don’t want to wait for loads of games yes/no
You want the budget games (platinum) yes/no
You love driving Sims yes/no

Get an X-box if…..
You must play Halo yes/no
You like PC games yes/no
You want the most powerful one yes/no
You want to play DVD’s yes/no

Get a GC if…..
You love multiplayer yes/no
You want the cheapest console yes/no
You love Mario or Zelda yes/no
You want the coolest joypad yes/no

Did you find out which one was bets for you, now hopefully this settles the console war, they are all great machines and it is your own opinion to which you think is the best, but we here at GAD do not want to hear it anymore.

To summarize, the console war is down to you and after looking through the facts I have given you, no one else can tell you what you like, only you can. If you like multiplayers go for the GC if you like one player, take your pick on any. So there we have it the end of the console wars!

Thank you for reading and I hope the facts were useful. J

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.