GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Time for four linesmen/assistant referees?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/06/02 at 16:04
Regular
Why aren’t there four linesmen/assistant referees (Ars) present in a game of football? Given that offsides are too commonplace and that the Referee cannot possibly see every incident of skulduggery, isn’t it time for a change?

Firstly having two Ars on each side of the pitch makes sense. If there is only one Ar on each side, how can they possibly see something properly that happens on the other side of the pitch? With 4 Ar’s you can. The ability to give corners and throw-ins correctly will be improved.

Secondly the ability to judge offsides is enhanced. By operating in tandem, the two Ars opposite each other can form an “invisible line” from which they can reference from. Also there are now two pairs of eyes (in each half) to make offside decisions with. Currently the referee has a vibrating strap on his wrist that vibrates when an Ar raises his flags. With my proposal it will only go off if both Ars raise their flags within half a second of each other. This will help to increase the amount of correct decisions as two linesmen need to both make the call.

I can’t think of a reason why this idea is unfeasible (especially at Premiership/ International level where money is irrelevant).
Thu 20/06/02 at 16:40
Regular
Damn, thats me skim reading again...

Cant be F'ed with reading properly this week, especially after doing all these sodding case studies for Business studies exam...Only one more exam and i'm free from the education system till september...woooooo
Thu 20/06/02 at 14:31
"High polygon count"
Or†ega wrote:
> Or perhaps they could implement a system where it is only offside if
> the mans on both sides of the pitch think it was offside.

That's what was said in the original post! :-)

There should definitely be video evidence used during the game, though, even if only for the major decisions.

They do it in American football and have done for years. I don't think it would cause any more stoppages than we already have, and even if it does, the punters are getting more value for their tickets.
Thu 20/06/02 at 14:24
"Darkness, always"
I certianly believe it's about time we allowed ref's to view video feedback, especially when giving penalties, or free kicks in dangerous areas and when issuing second yellow/red cards.
Thu 20/06/02 at 14:16
Regular
Exactly, could cause loads of confusion with an extra geezer on the other side.

Or perhaps they could implement a system where it is only offside if the mans on both sides of the pitch think it was offside.

Near enough every stadium in this world cup has a big video screen showing the match action innit? Could have been the perfect scenario for using video evidence for the first time during a match...You can see how the crowd react in disgust when they see a dodgy decision/tackle replayed on the big screen...Surely that can help the ref as well.
Thu 20/06/02 at 12:55
"Darkness, always"
Well, good as the idea sounds, I think it also brings in the potential for more dodgy decisions.

Yes, one AR may be in the perfect position to see an almost but not quite offside, and let it go, but what if one of the other assistants decides he is similarly well placed, but sees it as an offside? With twice as many people running up and down the pitch with flags, you have twice the likelihood of seeing the flag go up unecessarily.
Thu 20/06/02 at 12:50
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks it's obvious!
Wed 19/06/02 at 16:11
"High polygon count"
I've been saying that for ages! Posted it here once, too.

Four AR's would be an ideal solution, as it seems unlikely that the FA will introduce instant video replays any time soon.

There are times when an AR simply cannot see whether there has been an infringement or the ball has crossed the goal line, because there are at least two players shielding the ball on the other side of the pitch.

Four AR's is SUCH an obvious thing that I'm surprised it hasn't been in place for decades.
Wed 19/06/02 at 16:06
Regular
"Well hit on me..."
Good Idea
Wed 19/06/02 at 16:04
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Why aren’t there four linesmen/assistant referees (Ars) present in a game of football? Given that offsides are too commonplace and that the Referee cannot possibly see every incident of skulduggery, isn’t it time for a change?

Firstly having two Ars on each side of the pitch makes sense. If there is only one Ar on each side, how can they possibly see something properly that happens on the other side of the pitch? With 4 Ar’s you can. The ability to give corners and throw-ins correctly will be improved.

Secondly the ability to judge offsides is enhanced. By operating in tandem, the two Ars opposite each other can form an “invisible line” from which they can reference from. Also there are now two pairs of eyes (in each half) to make offside decisions with. Currently the referee has a vibrating strap on his wrist that vibrates when an Ar raises his flags. With my proposal it will only go off if both Ars raise their flags within half a second of each other. This will help to increase the amount of correct decisions as two linesmen need to both make the call.

I can’t think of a reason why this idea is unfeasible (especially at Premiership/ International level where money is irrelevant).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.