GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"E3 Award Winners..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/06/02 at 08:48
Regular
I dunno if this is a bit late, but anyway...

www.e3awards.com

Best of Show
DOOM III
Runner-up:
The Legend of Zelda

Best Original Game
Psychonauts
Runner-up:
Blinx: The Time Sweeper

Best PC Game
DOOM III
Runner-up:
Neverwinter Nights

Best Console Game
The Legend of Zelda
Runner-up:
The Getaway

Best Console Hardware
WaveBird Wireless Controller
Runner-up:
Steel Battalion Controller

Best Action Game
DOOM III
Runner-up:
Metroid Prime

Best Action/Adventure Game
Splinter Cell
Runner-up:
Super Mario Sunshine

Best Fighting Game
Tekken 4
Runner-up:
Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee

Best Role Playing Game
Neverwinter Nights
Runner-up:
Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided

Best Racing Game
Auto Modellista
Runner-up:
Colin McRae Racing 3

Best Simulation Game
The Sims Online
Runner-up:
Simcity 4

Best Sports Game
NFL 2K3
Runner-up:
Madden NFL 2003

Best Strategy Game
Command and Conquer Generals
Runner-up:
Age of Mythology

Best Puzzle/Trivia/Parlor Game
Super Monkey Ball 2
Runner-up:
Chu Chu Rocket

Best Online Multiplayer
Star Wars Galaxies
Runner-up:
The Sims Online

Special Commendation for Sound
DOOM III

Special Commendation for Graphics
DOOM III

So there you have it, Doom 3 seems to have cleaned up this year. But something that crossed my mind, should a game such as Doom 3 be winning 'Best of Show' or 'Best PC Game' when it was not shown in playable form? This seems a bit stupid to me when there are probably games further in development and more worthy of these titles. I hope Doom III (and all the other winners) live up to expectations. More than likely 75% of them will be rubbish, 20% of them will be OK and 5% of them will be excellent. DOOM III deserved nothing, except a special award for prettiest engine showcase. Absolutely NO gameplay was shown, so how can they say it was best game? Obviously voted for by graphics wh'res. One of my mates described it as being 'corrupt'. I really can't see how they can justify giving Doom all those awards (except for maybe the Graphical one).

And what the hell is Chu Chu rocket for GBA doing winning runner up for Best Puzzle when it's already been out for months?

The E3 awards are just PR bullsh't and/or a reflection of people expectations. The fact that Doom III, a game so far off and having shown so little, can win them just goes to prove that. Once again, a game that was only playable behind closed doors wins all the awards. Last year it was MGS2, if the games are so good then why weren't they on the floor? If they're gonna include games that were playable behind closed doors then why wasn't Soul Calibur 2 nominated in the fighters? I find it hard to believe Godzilla is better than it. Rereading that I think I must be getting cynical in my old age. Oh well.

Another thing - after all the talk of how good Panzer Dragoon Orta is, why no awards?

At least Super Monkey Ball 2 won an award! :D

LF.
Thu 20/06/02 at 19:23
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Spot the difference.

*grumbles in disgrace*
Thu 20/06/02 at 19:22
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Well, coming runner up for Best Console Game is nice, but it would be even nicer if we could play The Getaway!

For crying out loud, when's it coming out?!
Thu 20/06/02 at 19:22
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Well, coming runner up for Best Console Game is nice, but it would be even nicer if we could play it!

For crying out loud, when's it coming out?!
Thu 20/06/02 at 19:15
Thanks for that, Mr Happy :)
Thu 20/06/02 at 18:17
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
pop
Thu 20/06/02 at 15:35
Regular
It's not right that an unplayable game should sweep up all the awards.

Especially when there's the chance that it might not be 100% genuine.
A playable version with real AI, running on a normal PC rather than a multi-PC-supercomputer, and real time action might not look so smooth and slick as it's video.
Wed 19/06/02 at 17:54
Regular
"Selected"
Best Console Game: The Legend of Zelda, yeh-hes.
Wed 19/06/02 at 16:21
Regular
"DS..."
pawnstar* wrote:
> *Psssh
>
> I was born and raised on Tekken 2 I'll have you know.
>
>
> And I turned out just fine :|

*drags prawnstar back to his padded cell where he continues to play tekken 2 for the rest of his days safe in the knowledge that he can take his frustrations out by playing rather than on other people* :)

slik ~_~
Wed 19/06/02 at 16:19
*Psssh

I was born and raised on Tekken 2 I'll have you know.

And I turned out just fine :|
Wed 19/06/02 at 16:07
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I agree completely AfroJoe!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.