GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[MUSIC] JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE 'Future Sex/Love Sounds' album"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 31/03/08 at 21:37
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
Following up from his acclaimed first album 'Justified', comes hot off the decks, Justin Timberlake's latest offering: 'FutureSex/LoveSounds'. Before I go any further, it's worth noting that this album contains PARENTAL ADVICE - as Mr.JT has a tendancy to use the odd rude reference here and there - tut tut. I haven't used any of his obsensities, fear not!

Unsurprisingly, the power of the Timberlake meant that this album, released in September 2006, went straight to Number 1 in the album charts...pretty much all over the world. But, was that high charting a result of a tip top album, or the result of commitment from the legions of dedicated fans that Mr.Trousersnake has???

One thing I noticed about this album, that is different from his last, is that is has a lot of 'preludes' which tag on the end of a song, presumedly to introduce the next song...the point of this being what exactly...I don't know. The UK version of the album contains 13 songs, which also include collaborations with artists such as Timberland, Snoop Dog (no, not the Peanuts character!), Will.I.Am (from the Black Eyed Peas) and T.I. (whoever he is).

For those of you who don't know, Justin Timberlake (born 31/01/1981) is famed for a number of things:
>Being a member of one of the most successful boy bands from America: 'N SYNC'.
>Being a 'mousekateer' on the Disney channel as a child, with Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera.
>His heavily publicised relationship with Britney Spears
>His even more publicised relationship with hollywood A-Lister, Cameron Diaz.
>As well as this he is renowned for his dashing beauty and charm and rather high pitched falsetto.

The way I'm going to review this album is by giving each track a rating out of 10. I've discussed each track using 2 categories: Sound (how the song actually sounds, obviously) and About (what the lyrical content is like).

Ok...on with the first track...

1) FutureSex/LoveSounds 4:01
"Tell me which way you like that. Do you like it like this?" (he likes to please, bless him)
>>Sound: I really like this track. It has a distinct and complex sound, primarily made up of synthesiser strings. The feel of the track is cool and hip, which is a nice introductory start to set the album off. I find the verses to be melodically quite boring, but the chorus saves the song. After the first time I heard the album all the way through, this was the only one that stayed with me and stuck in my memory so much that I could sing it to myself, surely a testament for a good song. Musically, it's a great succession from 'Justified'.
>>About: Here we have JT talking (well, singing) to someone who he fancies. I get the idea that he's out on the pull and trying to 'woo' his ladies with lines such as 'Daddy's on a mission to please...must be my future sex love sound.' But what is a 'future sex love sound'? A new discovery in pleasure or simply a new way of pulling...hmm...JT conquerors and gets his lady (quel surprise): 'tell me which way you like that'.
Track rating: 9/10

2) Sexyback 4:02 (feat. Timberland)
"I'm bringing sexy back. Them other boys don't know how to act" (speak for yourself!)
>>Sound: This is the first official release from this album, reaching the golden number one spot. It is very catchy and has a strangely hypnotic beat that makes me want to dance (cliche, but true). JT and Timberland converse in a 'call and respond' dialogue cleverly using a vocoda, which lets us hear JT as we've never heard him before. When I first heard this song, I didn't realise it was actually JT - a refreshing change from his overused falsetto, that we have so become accustomed to. The general sound makes me think of words to describe it such as 'electro funk with after tastes of RnB and elements of a latin samba' - ooo la la, nice. There are so many interesting and unusual sounds in this track, it's only downfall is that it is very repetive.
>>About: In this track, JT is claiming he will bring sexiness back into the world, because apparently other men aren't doing it properly. JT will set the example and have all girls at his feet (yeah yeah). JT likes to use the 'f' word in this track - normally I would be appauled at such lack of articulate ability, but I find this dare I say...sexy (ouch). JT will be a gentleman and take his ladies to the VIP suite - well so he claims here anyway, lucky ladies!

3) Sexy Ladies/Let me talk to you prelude. 5:32
"I know a little betty from downtown" (I promise, that's a real lyric)
>>Sound: This song has an 80s feel blended with a funk beat. The chorus is highly annoying as it is so repetitive. I'm really not sure about this one. There are too many sounds that seem to have been ripped from a Super Nintendo game, or an old New Kids on the Block track. This is the 3rd consecutive song with 'sex' in the title - hormonal or what?
>>About: Not exactly song writing genius here - he sings about how many sexy ladies he has - he is a prince amongst his hareem, so to speak. The prelude (which blends in at the end of the track, not an individual track listing as such) sounds like they just got set up in a kitchen and are jamming away with the beats of the stainless steel pan and some Ken Hom Woks. It uses elements of "My Love' (his second release, also the next track on this album). It's very repetitive and sounds too much like a time filler as opposed to a cleverly crafted piece of music. Really not sure about this one - this one is safe to skip! Instantly forgettable.
Track rating: 6/10

4) My Love 4:36 (feat. T.I.)
"You could be my baby, let me make you my lady. Girl, you amaze me. Ain't gotta do nothing crazy. See, all I want you to do is be my love" (bless)
>>Sound: This is the second release from this album and back to JT with his mighty (supposedly) falsetto, charting at number 2. This song has a heavy, weird, electrically pulsed, rift that reminds me of the first 3 seconds of the 'Casualty' theme tune. Really disappointed with this one. It's such a boring song - hopefully it will be followed up by something a bit more inspiring. There is a good mild-rap section before the chorus 'I can see us holding hands...' THEN the boring chorus comes in 'My love, my love, my love, my looooooove' - Yawnarama! There's a 'proper' rap section by T.I. - which seems to me, to be totally unnecessary and an obvious inclusion 'lets give it some RnB credability by letting someone rap on it' - um no! The whole track sound like a weird mix - thumbs down for me.
>>About: JT is talking to the one he loves, but wants some sign of commitment to the relationship - that she is, his love - ahhhh lovely. I like how this song is up tempo - it could easily have been a slow sappy ballad - hurrah it's not - but boooo it's not great!

5) Love Stoned/I think she knows (interlude) 7:24
"She's freaky and she knows it. She's freaky, but I like it" (I wonder if this is one is about dear old Britney?)
>>About: This was his fourth single release in the UK. This song has a really good beat that is reminiscent of 'FutureSex/LoveSound'. It also has a 70s feel to it, with hints of disco mashed into a fresh new sound. It gets highly repetive (quel surprise) to a point of boredom. The interlude sounds much rockier, like a strange mix of the song we just heard turning into a nice string arrangement...nice.
>>About: Same old song about a girl he fancies and hopes he will be going home with her. He uses the analogy of her beauty acting as a drug on him. How original (...yawn, yawn)
Track rating: 7/10

6) What Goes Around.../...Comes Around (Interlude) 7:28
"Just so confused about it. Feeling the blues about it" (Hmm, think this may be a reference to Britney's meeting with the hair clippers??)
>>Sound: This is the third release from the album getting to number 4 in the UK charts. There is a good spanish guitar intro - sounding very different to anything so far on the album. It sounds more like an N-SYNC song in the chorus, as the multi-voice effects creates the audical (is that a word) illusion of a boyband and takes away from the edgey feel of JT up to this point. The chorus is ok - but after a few times of listening, it begun to get on my nerves - like one of those irritating melodies you can't stop singing and drives you crazy...grrrr it's in my head now! The interlude is a much 'edgier' version of the track, nice choral sample used in the background, which marries nicely with the hard beat and 'gangstar' rap - which reminded me of music from Eminem's '8 mile'. I would prefer it if he didn't use so many rappers, as it makes the whole feeling of the album, so much more generic.
>>About: In this song, he is talking to a girl, who he went out with in a previous relationship and asking her about her current man. Almost like he wants her back. He's obviousy hurt over the way she's behaving and his basic message is - if you keep acting like this - you'll get hurt. He's trying to move on, he even thought about marrying her, cor blimey!
Tracking rating: 7/10

7) Chop Me Up 5:03 (feat Timberland and Three6Mafia)
"Back to my house. Let's watch Sex and the City or Desperate Housewives" (Haha! You couldn't even make this stuff up! I'd prefer LOST myself, but hey)
>>Sound: Initially, I would never guess that was a JT track - it sounds much more like a song from a rap/hip hop album. It's a breakaway from previous tracks - it doesn't sound too bad and is a refreshing change of direction for the album. The chorus is quite easy to listen to, but personally, I don't like the rap throughout.
>>About: I'm not really sure what it's really about. It sounds like they keep saying 'You got me like struddle'. Perhaps she was a witch and turned him into an apple struddle??? Off something off beat and slighty irreverant like that?? Hmm, oh well, nothing wrong with the odd, abstract and irreverant song now and again!

8) Damn Girl 5:12 (feat Will.I.Am)
"Don't need no Maybelline, 'Cause you're a beauty queen" (hmm, how eloquent)
>>Sound: This has to be one of my least favourite tracks on the album. It is so repetitive and features yet more rappers, with their blah de blah 'we're so fly' lyrics (whatever 'fly' means). I'm loathed to talk about it anymore...
>>About: I can't be bothered to even think about attempting to discuss what this song is about...yawn yawn yawn.
Track rating: 2/10

9) Summer Love/Set the Mood (prelude) 6:33
"This just can't be summer love (L-O-V-E)" (Incase you were wondering how it was spelt...?)
>>Sound: Initially my reaction on hearing this song, was this: 'ooo synthesisers'...and that was it. At first, I didn't like this track at all, but it has grown on me. This is another highly repetitive song, with a constant and somewhat monotonous rift in the background of synth-ness. JT's vocals are rather good on this track. The middle 8 of this song is reminscent of a 'Justified' track (his last album), which is something that I really like about it. As for the prelude, it has a somewhat 'geisha' feel to it and doesn't sit right on the album somehow - skip please.
>>About: He's just met a girl and is showering her with compliments and blah de blah - no originality...again!

10) Until the End of Time 5:22
"Sick and tired of trying to save the world. I just want to spend my time with you girl" (Who does he think he is? Clark blummin Kent?)
>>Sound: This song follows on from the previous 'interlude' with a mellow, geisha tinted, style. Melodically this song is very pretty. Compared to the other work on this album, there is a lot more going on musically. There seems to a mild cacophony of sounds that detract from the overall potential beauty of this song. This is one of the songs on the album that I wouldn't mind hearing again...however, I wouldn't rush out and buy it, if it was on sale as a single, by any means.
>>About: This song is a reflection on the things that are going wrong with the world. There are disasters and people doing bad things. Yet, the whole time, the one he loves, still has goodness in her (...pass me bucket, someone) - that's about it really! How sweet!

11) Losing My Way 5:21
"Hi my name is Bob and I work at my job" (He's a poet and he doesn't know it - someone pass him a Novello writers award immediately!)
>>Sound: Initially, this one reminded me of the song 'Til I got high' (or something like that, the title of the track escapes me, by the rastafarian band that were hooked on the old marajuana). JT's voice is very nice in the song once it gets going, but there is a really annoying background rift of 'ba da ba' throughout - argh this song is irritating! The middle8 isn't so bad, because that blummin 'ba da ba' stops...but oh, then it starts again, this time with a choir thrown in for good measure too! To be honest, the choir is this tracks saving grace, as they make it sound much, MUCH better, reminding me of a gospel choir...perhaps from a graffiti covered church just yards away from 'the street' - a la Sister Act2.
>>About: The lyrics in this track are simply awful, as if a 7 year old has just penned them! I guess the encouraging thing about this song, is that Timberlake has put himself into a 'character 'and sings about how the character's life has turned out not the way he had hoped. It's better than the usual 'Girl I love you, yeah, Girl I really do, ooo, Girl I love you, do you love it too' drivel that the album has rolled out so far (Hmm I maybe I should send him those lyrics for his next album, it would fit, surely?) The 'acting' 9if you can call it that) JT saying 'um excuse me' at the beginning of the track is simply cringe worthy.

12) (Another Song) All Over Again 5:48
"So please give me another chance, to write you another song" (O dear, Justin, the way it's going, I'd rather you didn't)
>>Sound: The intro of this song is beautiful, then JT pipes up with his unnecessary 'ahhhhs' and 'yeahhhs'...then it is ruined. This is quite simply put, 'the ballad' of the album. Its the sort of song you imagine coming on the radio, late at night, whilst nursing a glass of red wine. The good thing about this track, is that it isn't interrupted by any rappers or any annoying rifts. It is purely JT, a piano, strings and a bluesy rhythm. Not a bad song, but I think it's purpose would serve better if it was sung a bit more simply, with no 'ooooh's and 'yeaaaah's. If only Beverly Craven were still making mainstream records...this could have been hers dammit!
>>About: This is Justin singing to a girl he loves (Oh my, quel surprise), but their relationship is over and he wants to rekindle it. He admits to behaving like a loser in the past, but is prepared to change all that and do good by her - hence to let him write her another song - the analogy to give their relationship another chance.

13) Pose 4:46 (feat. Snoopy Dogg) (*only available on Japan and UK editions)
"Head, shoulders, feet and toes" (Everyone knows it's: shoulders KNEES and toes, deary me)
>>Sound: Oh my word, this song is SO irritating. Urgh, I hate it so much that I'm starting to resent having to listen to it again, so I can offer a fair review...on second thought scrap that. It sounds like the generic, mild rap, slight electro, 'edgy' song, that we've all heard many, many times before. Double urgh at Snoops blummin annoying rap - ARRRGHHH its so annoying!
>>About: It's lyrics like "S-N-double O-P-D-O double Gizzle 'n J Tizzle" that reassure you that you are listening to a classy tune, isn't it...Ah hem! This track is called 'Pose', so it's about the best way to...um...pose and look good for a 'picture'. No prizes for guessing what the person doing the posing is wearing, or indeed why they are coming up with so many 'poses'. The filthy beggars! This is also the second song that mentioned 'Maybelline' so I'm starting to wonder if Mr.JT is on some sort of commission deal here???
Track rating: 5/10

END OF ALBUM

I thought Justin Timberlake's last album was great, full of great songs that evoked many feelings for me, from joy to sorrow, and for a debut album, it was very impressive. Inevitably, there was an element of pressure on JT's shoulders to produce an album to equal, but preferably, improve on his previous success. Unfortunately, I found this album instantly forgettable. I would only buy this if it was in a sale, as I don't think it is worth the full retail price. Don't be a victim of hype - this album is not one of the greats by any stretch of the imagination.

An overall album rating of: 6.5/10 (86/130 to be precise)

© MarcoG 2008
(similar version also on ciao)
Mon 07/04/08 at 23:39
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
Hopefully...I'm trying, I'm trying, I'm trying :) :) :)
Mon 07/04/08 at 13:46
"possibly impossible"
Well done on your first GAD win, MarcoG.

Hope this encourages you to join us in the Chat forums! :D
Mon 31/03/08 at 21:37
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
Following up from his acclaimed first album 'Justified', comes hot off the decks, Justin Timberlake's latest offering: 'FutureSex/LoveSounds'. Before I go any further, it's worth noting that this album contains PARENTAL ADVICE - as Mr.JT has a tendancy to use the odd rude reference here and there - tut tut. I haven't used any of his obsensities, fear not!

Unsurprisingly, the power of the Timberlake meant that this album, released in September 2006, went straight to Number 1 in the album charts...pretty much all over the world. But, was that high charting a result of a tip top album, or the result of commitment from the legions of dedicated fans that Mr.Trousersnake has???

One thing I noticed about this album, that is different from his last, is that is has a lot of 'preludes' which tag on the end of a song, presumedly to introduce the next song...the point of this being what exactly...I don't know. The UK version of the album contains 13 songs, which also include collaborations with artists such as Timberland, Snoop Dog (no, not the Peanuts character!), Will.I.Am (from the Black Eyed Peas) and T.I. (whoever he is).

For those of you who don't know, Justin Timberlake (born 31/01/1981) is famed for a number of things:
>Being a member of one of the most successful boy bands from America: 'N SYNC'.
>Being a 'mousekateer' on the Disney channel as a child, with Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera.
>His heavily publicised relationship with Britney Spears
>His even more publicised relationship with hollywood A-Lister, Cameron Diaz.
>As well as this he is renowned for his dashing beauty and charm and rather high pitched falsetto.

The way I'm going to review this album is by giving each track a rating out of 10. I've discussed each track using 2 categories: Sound (how the song actually sounds, obviously) and About (what the lyrical content is like).

Ok...on with the first track...

1) FutureSex/LoveSounds 4:01
"Tell me which way you like that. Do you like it like this?" (he likes to please, bless him)
>>Sound: I really like this track. It has a distinct and complex sound, primarily made up of synthesiser strings. The feel of the track is cool and hip, which is a nice introductory start to set the album off. I find the verses to be melodically quite boring, but the chorus saves the song. After the first time I heard the album all the way through, this was the only one that stayed with me and stuck in my memory so much that I could sing it to myself, surely a testament for a good song. Musically, it's a great succession from 'Justified'.
>>About: Here we have JT talking (well, singing) to someone who he fancies. I get the idea that he's out on the pull and trying to 'woo' his ladies with lines such as 'Daddy's on a mission to please...must be my future sex love sound.' But what is a 'future sex love sound'? A new discovery in pleasure or simply a new way of pulling...hmm...JT conquerors and gets his lady (quel surprise): 'tell me which way you like that'.

2) Sexyback 4:02 (feat. Timberland)
"I'm bringing sexy back. Them other boys don't know how to act" (speak for yourself!)
>>Sound: This is the first official release from this album, reaching the golden number one spot. It is very catchy and has a strangely hypnotic beat that makes me want to dance (cliche, but true). JT and Timberland converse in a 'call and respond' dialogue cleverly using a vocoda, which lets us hear JT as we've never heard him before. When I first heard this song, I didn't realise it was actually JT - a refreshing change from his overused falsetto, that we have so become accustomed to. The general sound makes me think of words to describe it such as 'electro funk with after tastes of RnB and elements of a latin samba' - ooo la la, nice. There are so many interesting and unusual sounds in this track, it's only downfall is that it is very repetive.
>>About: In this track, JT is claiming he will bring sexiness back into the world, because apparently other men aren't doing it properly. JT will set the example and have all girls at his feet (yeah yeah). JT likes to use the 'f' word in this track - normally I would be appauled at such lack of articulate ability, but I find this dare I say...sexy (ouch). JT will be a gentleman and take his ladies to the VIP suite - well so he claims here anyway, lucky ladies!

3) Sexy Ladies/Let me talk to you prelude. 5:32
"I know a little betty from downtown" (I promise, that's a real lyric)
>>Sound: This song has an 80s feel blended with a funk beat. The chorus is highly annoying as it is so repetitive. I'm really not sure about this one. There are too many sounds that seem to have been ripped from a Super Nintendo game, or an old New Kids on the Block track. This is the 3rd consecutive song with 'sex' in the title - hormonal or what?
>>About: Not exactly song writing genius here - he sings about how many sexy ladies he has - he is a prince amongst his hareem, so to speak. The prelude (which blends in at the end of the track, not an individual track listing as such) sounds like they just got set up in a kitchen and are jamming away with the beats of the stainless steel pan and some Ken Hom Woks. It uses elements of "My Love' (his second release, also the next track on this album). It's very repetitive and sounds too much like a time filler as opposed to a cleverly crafted piece of music. Really not sure about this one - this one is safe to skip! Instantly forgettable.

4) My Love 4:36 (feat. T.I.)
"You could be my baby, let me make you my lady. Girl, you amaze me. Ain't gotta do nothing crazy. See, all I want you to do is be my love" (bless)
>>Sound: This is the second release from this album and back to JT with his mighty (supposedly) falsetto, charting at number 2. This song has a heavy, weird, electrically pulsed, rift that reminds me of the first 3 seconds of the 'Casualty' theme tune. Really disappointed with this one. It's such a boring song - hopefully it will be followed up by something a bit more inspiring. There is a good mild-rap section before the chorus 'I can see us holding hands...' THEN the boring chorus comes in 'My love, my love, my love, my looooooove' - Yawnarama! There's a 'proper' rap section by T.I. - which seems to me, to be totally unnecessary and an obvious inclusion 'lets give it some RnB credability by letting someone rap on it' - um no! The whole track sound like a weird mix - thumbs down for me.
>>About: JT is talking to the one he loves, but wants some sign of commitment to the relationship - that she is, his love - ahhhh lovely. I like how this song is up tempo - it could easily have been a slow sappy ballad - hurrah it's not - but boooo it's not great!

5) Love Stoned/I think she knows (interlude) 7:24
"She's freaky and she knows it. She's freaky, but I like it" (I wonder if this is one is about dear old Britney?)
>>About: This was his fourth single release in the UK. This song has a really good beat that is reminiscent of 'FutureSex/LoveSound'. It also has a 70s feel to it, with hints of disco mashed into a fresh new sound. It gets highly repetive (quel surprise) to a point of boredom. The interlude sounds much rockier, like a strange mix of the song we just heard turning into a nice string arrangement...nice.
>>About: Same old song about a girl he fancies and hopes he will be going home with her. He uses the analogy of her beauty acting as a drug on him. How original (...yawn, yawn)

6) What Goes Around.../...Comes Around (Interlude) 7:28
"Just so confused about it. Feeling the blues about it" (Hmm, think this may be a reference to Britney's meeting with the hair clippers??)
>>Sound: This is the third release from the album getting to number 4 in the UK charts. There is a good spanish guitar intro - sounding very different to anything so far on the album. It sounds more like an N-SYNC song in the chorus, as the multi-voice effects creates the audical (is that a word) illusion of a boyband and takes away from the edgey feel of JT up to this point. The chorus is ok - but after a few times of listening, it begun to get on my nerves - like one of those irritating melodies you can't stop singing and drives you crazy...grrrr it's in my head now! The interlude is a much 'edgier' version of the track, nice choral sample used in the background, which marries nicely with the hard beat and 'gangstar' rap - which reminded me of music from Eminem's '8 mile'. I would prefer it if he didn't use so many rappers, as it makes the whole feeling of the album, so much more generic.
>>About: In this song, he is talking to a girl, who he went out with in a previous relationship and asking her about her current man. Almost like he wants her back. He's obviousy hurt over the way she's behaving and his basic message is - if you keep acting like this - you'll get hurt. He's trying to move on, he even thought about marrying her, cor blimey!
Tracking rating: 7/10

7) Chop Me Up 5:03 (feat Timberland and Three6Mafia)
"Back to my house. Let's watch Sex and the City or Desperate Housewives" (Haha! You couldn't even make this stuff up! I'd prefer LOST myself, but hey)
>>Sound: Initially, I would never guess that was a JT track - it sounds much more like a song from a rap/hip hop album. It's a breakaway from previous tracks - it doesn't sound too bad and is a refreshing change of direction for the album. The chorus is quite easy to listen to, but personally, I don't like the rap throughout.
>>About: I'm not really sure what it's really about. It sounds like they keep saying 'You got me like struddle'. Perhaps she was a witch and turned him into an apple struddle??? Off something off beat and slighty irreverant like that?? Hmm, oh well, nothing wrong with the odd, abstract and irreverant song now and again!

8) Damn Girl 5:12 (feat Will.I.Am)
"Don't need no Maybelline, 'Cause you're a beauty queen" (hmm, how eloquent)
>>Sound: This has to be one of my least favourite tracks on the album. It is so repetitive and features yet more rappers, with their blah de blah 'we're so fly' lyrics (whatever 'fly' means). I'm loathed to talk about it anymore...
>>About: I can't be bothered to even think about attempting to discuss what this song is about...yawn yawn yawn.
Track rating: 2/10

9) Summer Love/Set the Mood (prelude) 6:33
"This just can't be summer love (L-O-V-E)" (Incase you were wondering how it was spelt...?)
>>Sound: Initially my reaction on hearing this song, was this: 'ooo synthesisers'...and that was it. At first, I didn't like this track at all, but it has grown on me. This is another highly repetitive song, with a constant and somewhat monotonous rift in the background of synth-ness. JT's vocals are rather good on this track. The middle 8 of this song is reminscent of a 'Justified' track (his last album), which is something that I really like about it. As for the prelude, it has a somewhat 'geisha' feel to it and doesn't sit right on the album somehow - skip please.
>>About: He's just met a girl and is showering her with compliments and blah de blah - no originality...again!

10) Until the End of Time 5:22
"Sick and tired of trying to save the world. I just want to spend my time with you girl" (Who does he think he is? Clark blummin Kent?)
>>Sound: This song follows on from the previous 'interlude' with a mellow, geisha tinted, style. Melodically this song is very pretty. Compared to the other work on this album, there is a lot more going on musically. There seems to a mild cacophony of sounds that detract from the overall potential beauty of this song. This is one of the songs on the album that I wouldn't mind hearing again...however, I wouldn't rush out and buy it, if it was on sale as a single, by any means.
>>About: This song is a reflection on the things that are going wrong with the world. There are disasters and people doing bad things. Yet, the whole time, the one he loves, still has goodness in her (...pass me bucket, someone) - that's about it really! How sweet!

11) Losing My Way 5:21
"Hi my name is Bob and I work at my job" (He's a poet and he doesn't know it - someone pass him a Novello writers award immediately!)
>>Sound: Initially, this one reminded me of the song 'Til I got high' (or something like that, the title of the track escapes me, by the rastafarian band that were hooked on the old marajuana). JT's voice is very nice in the song once it gets going, but there is a really annoying background rift of 'ba da ba' throughout - argh this song is irritating! The middle8 isn't so bad, because that blummin 'ba da ba' stops...but oh, then it starts again, this time with a choir thrown in for good measure too! To be honest, the choir is this tracks saving grace, as they make it sound much, MUCH better, reminding me of a gospel choir...perhaps from a graffiti covered church just yards away from 'the street' - a la Sister Act2.
>>About: The lyrics in this track are simply awful, as if a 7 year old has just penned them! I guess the encouraging thing about this song, is that Timberlake has put himself into a 'character 'and sings about how the character's life has turned out not the way he had hoped. It's better than the usual 'Girl I love you, yeah, Girl I really do, ooo, Girl I love you, do you love it too' drivel that the album has rolled out so far (Hmm I maybe I should send him those lyrics for his next album, it would fit, surely?) The 'acting' 9if you can call it that) JT saying 'um excuse me' at the beginning of the track is simply cringe worthy.

12) (Another Song) All Over Again 5:48
"So please give me another chance, to write you another song" (O dear, Justin, the way it's going, I'd rather you didn't)
>>Sound: The intro of this song is beautiful, then JT pipes up with his unnecessary 'ahhhhs' and 'yeahhhs'...then it is ruined. This is quite simply put, 'the ballad' of the album. Its the sort of song you imagine coming on the radio, late at night, whilst nursing a glass of red wine. The good thing about this track, is that it isn't interrupted by any rappers or any annoying rifts. It is purely JT, a piano, strings and a bluesy rhythm. Not a bad song, but I think it's purpose would serve better if it was sung a bit more simply, with no 'ooooh's and 'yeaaaah's. If only Beverly Craven were still making mainstream records...this could have been hers dammit!
>>About: This is Justin singing to a girl he loves (Oh my, quel surprise), but their relationship is over and he wants to rekindle it. He admits to behaving like a loser in the past, but is prepared to change all that and do good by her - hence to let him write her another song - the analogy to give their relationship another chance.

13) Pose 4:46 (feat. Snoopy Dogg) (*only available on Japan and UK editions)
"Head, shoulders, feet and toes" (Everyone knows it's: shoulders KNEES and toes, deary me)
>>Sound: Oh my word, this song is SO irritating. Urgh, I hate it so much that I'm starting to resent having to listen to it again, so I can offer a fair review...on second thought scrap that. It sounds like the generic, mild rap, slight electro, 'edgy' song, that we've all heard many, many times before. Double urgh at Snoops blummin annoying rap - ARRRGHHH its so annoying!
>>About: It's lyrics like "S-N-double O-P-D-O double Gizzle 'n J Tizzle" that reassure you that you are listening to a classy tune, isn't it...Ah hem! This track is called 'Pose', so it's about the best way to...um...pose and look good for a 'picture'. No prizes for guessing what the person doing the posing is wearing, or indeed why they are coming up with so many 'poses'. The filthy beggars! This is also the second song that mentioned 'Maybelline' so I'm starting to wonder if Mr.JT is on some sort of commission deal here???
Track rating: 5/10

END OF ALBUM

I thought Justin Timberlake's last album was great, full of great songs that evoked many feelings for me, from joy to sorrow, and for a debut album, it was very impressive. Inevitably, there was an element of pressure on JT's shoulders to produce an album to equal, but preferably, improve on his previous success. Unfortunately, I found this album instantly forgettable. I would only buy this if it was in a sale, as I don't think it is worth the full retail price. Don't be a victim of hype - this album is not one of the greats by any stretch of the imagination.

An overall album rating of: 6.5/10 (86/130 to be precise)

© MarcoG 2008
(similar version also on ciao)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.