GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Photo CD/DVD on a PS2?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 18/06/02 at 09:37
Regular
Is it possible to create a photo CD that will play on a PS2. I have a load of holiday snaps (JPEGS)which I want to put onto a CD and send to my mate, but he only has a PS2.
Is this possible and if yes what format?. PS I have Nero 5.5.
Fri 21/06/02 at 23:09
Regular
"Back For Good"
Probably as Milenko said, but a DVD writer costs about 400 and the discs are about 9.99 each!!!

By The Way the Sega Saturn was Photo CD compatible :-)
Fri 21/06/02 at 09:42
So does that mean the PS2 can play DVD-R/RW?. What about DVD+R/RW will it play these?
Wed 19/06/02 at 10:20
Res€vilfan wrote:
> The PS2 is a funny thing, It plays Audio CDRs with digital output
> enabled meaning you can basically pirate anything, The PS2 can only
> play DVDs (maybe DVD-Rs) but VCDs, SVCDs, PHOTO CDs will not play on
> the machine. I thought about playing around with the Nero compatibilty
> on SVCDs (MPEG2) but I doubt it works.
>
> My advice for you is to use Nero to make a VCD/SVCD (get plugin from
> Kazaa) and you can flick through your images no probs in incredibly
> good quality, only on a dvd player though :-)

Yep, it does play DVD-r discs (movies) without a mod, but they need to be on quality 2nd gen media. At the moment the only way to watch a vcd on PS2 is to convert the movie into a DVD type of format, this takes up alot of space on the cd so you can only get around 20mins of movie per disc (not worth the hassle)

I read something Action Replay 2, if you open put the disc in yoour PC and read a file in a hexeditor you can see the options for a menu that has been removed. The menu includes a vcd player, MP3 player and a couple of other things. No one has been able to activate this menu so it probably isn't included on the disc at all, but the fact that the file is there in the first place is interesting.

Maybe Datel did develop these extra features but were forced to exclude them from the final product.
Tue 18/06/02 at 23:16
Regular
"how long have i got"
too be honest it is not true, trust me

or

maybe not
Tue 18/06/02 at 22:29
Regular
"Back For Good"
The PS2 is a funny thing, It plays Audio CDRs with digital output enabled meaning you can basically pirate anything, The PS2 can only play DVDs (maybe DVD-Rs) but VCDs, SVCDs, PHOTO CDs will not play on the machine. I thought about playing around with the Nero compatibilty on SVCDs (MPEG2) but I doubt it works.

My advice for you is to use Nero to make a VCD/SVCD (get plugin from Kazaa) and you can flick through your images no probs in incredibly good quality, only on a dvd player though :-)
Tue 18/06/02 at 17:39
Regular
"Poo Wee"
30111987 wrote:
> It's like vcds, i know alot are cdr copies but the ps2 can't even play
> original vcds, like most modern half decent dvd players.

WOW!!! COOL. And ure name is even better
Tue 18/06/02 at 17:35
Regular
"lifes a game"
It's like vcds, i know alot are cdr copies but the ps2 can't even play original vcds, like most modern half decent dvd players.
Tue 18/06/02 at 10:31
"slightlyshortertagl"
But then again why should they include this option, which might cost them big money for the odd person here and there so they can share holidays snaps with friends.. no offence and all but get what i mean?
Tue 18/06/02 at 10:24
"High polygon count"
SkythePig wrote:
> Is this a Sony thing?
> I am sure you can play the photo CD's on a normal DVD player, so why
> do Sony make theirs different?

Piracy.

Basically a photo CD is a CDR, and Sony have prevented it playing them so that you can't play copied games.

Plus, it requires special software, which PS2 doesn't have. As far as I know, the Xbox won't let you play them either.
Tue 18/06/02 at 09:50
Is this a Sony thing?
I am sure you can play the photo CD's on a normal DVD player, so why do Sony make theirs different?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.