GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PSI-2, GamesMaster, etc."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 16/06/02 at 20:41
Regular
I like reading all kinds of PS2 magazines from time to time. But, I can't decide what mag I should read all the time, cos' there are all good. I kinda like Playnation n' PSI-2. If you wish, you can use this forum/topic freely about PS2 mags or anything else PS2.
Mon 17/06/02 at 15:40
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Wookie, no magazine is perfect, but the main reason I read edge is for the features and columns. How many other UK mags have columns written by head of developement companies? Edge has probably had more interviews with Miyamoto and co than the Official Ninty mag has!

Oh, but I have to agree with the "high and mighty" thing the reviewers have! The trick with Edge reviews is to remember they are EXTREMELY picky... they could go on for the whole thing about one small point, and then give the game a great score! So take them with a pinch of salt!

Sonic
Mon 17/06/02 at 15:36
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
oasismark wrote:

> What 4 games were they please?

Goldeneye
Zelda OOT
Halo
Gran Turismo

I'm not sure, but I think Mario 64 might replace one of them...

Sonic
Mon 17/06/02 at 15:30
"High polygon count"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> 75% irrelevant information is all you want

IF all you want...
Mon 17/06/02 at 15:28
"High polygon count"
The trouble with multiformat mags is that you get about 75% irrelevant information is all you want is news and info about one particular console and its software. That's why I never bothered with them when I just had my PS2.

Even now I have all three machines (all four if you count the PC), Edge still doesn't rate that highly with me. I've bought a few issues, and they always come across as having a high-and-mighty 'we are right' attitude, when in fact most reviews are written by fans of a particular format who have worked on machine-specific mags before.

Also, I don't believe that their reviews are unbiased, simply because an unbiased review is simply not possible. Even if you are not biased in terms of platform, you are still biased in terms of genre. And even if they have, say, RPG fans reviewing RPG games, there are still aspects which will cloud judgement.

My tactic has always been to shop around with mags. Buy a selection and see which ones closely match your tastes. I realise that not everyone can afford to, but I currently buy three PS2 mags (Official PS2, PSM2 and PSW) which are all fairly close to my own taste - i.e. have given good reviews of games I've enjoyed, and lesser reviews of games I've not been sure of.

As I am the only person who knows what I look for in a game, I take the views of each of these mags into consideration before buying a game. And so far, I haven't bought a PS2 game that I didn't enjoy playing.

I'd like to do the same with Xbox and Gamecube mags, but even for me that would be getting too expensive, so I may take to getting the odd multiformat or Xbox/Gamecube specific mag every couple of months.
Mon 17/06/02 at 15:16
Regular
"as tha nowt moist?"
>
> Oh, and as for the reviews, they actually make sense. Average games
> get 5/10, half of games get above this, and half below. 10/10 is only
> given once in a blue moon (only 4 games in histiry have managed it).
> Makes sense eh!
>
> Sonic

What 4 games were they please?
Mon 17/06/02 at 14:24
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I read EDGE magazine. It's multiformat, and it's without doubt the most professional mag out there. No above 80% for any decent game reviews in there!

Instead it's filled with excellent columns (written by people ranging from the head of AV, one of Sega's teams, to contravential freelance Redeye and an artist for famitsu) and features of both techical and games based nature (this month there's a big one on AI as well as Deux Ex 2).

Oh, and as for the reviews, they actually make sense. Average games get 5/10, half of games get above this, and half below. 10/10 is only given once in a blue moon (only 4 games in histiry have managed it). Makes sense eh!

Sonic
Sun 16/06/02 at 20:41
I like reading all kinds of PS2 magazines from time to time. But, I can't decide what mag I should read all the time, cos' there are all good. I kinda like Playnation n' PSI-2. If you wish, you can use this forum/topic freely about PS2 mags or anything else PS2.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.