GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Illustrated history of gaming."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 16/06/02 at 15:16
Regular
Many people on here doubt my experience as a hardcore games player. Some just dismiss my opinions, others just think I know nothing. Well, here's a brief topic on my history of gaming, in chonological order (for the sake of it). Enjoy.

ZX Spectrum + (1988)

My first home console was the ZX Spectrum +. I first got it way back in 1988 when I was three years old. My Uncle, who gave it to me, first showed me how to use it by typing one heck of a long program into the ‘Basic’ system, which displayed lots of squares of random colour all over the screen. It wasn’t til I was atleast four years of age when I started playing on it on a regular basis. I used to play games like Alcatraz Harry and Mastertronic’s very own Finder’s Keepers. Games in those days were VERY simple. The sound came out of the keyboard, similar to a PC’s internal speaker, and an additional tape recorder was required to hook up to the keyboard to load tapes containing programs. I used to play this console, or Personal Computer, on a regular basis, once every Sunday for around an hour. The loading times were long, but I didn’t care - I was having fun.

ZX Spectrum 128k +2 (1990)

That year I had decided to improve on my gaming and find some more ZX Spectrum compatable games. In my quest, I noticed an advert in the local paper advertising a ZX Spectrum 128, with a Kempston Interface; 2 Joysticks; and a wopping 170 games! Perfect! A better console than before with over 170 games! That instantly made my total of games go up to 180! For the next twenty or thirty months, I would play every Sunday, testing out each game and playing to my hearts content. This was much better than the previous ZX Spectrum! The sound effects came out the TV, and the tape
loader was inbuilt! I used to play around with the manual and try out
the example codes, many of which wouldn’t work due to a mistake I would never find (the ZX Spectrum’s main downer) but I was well pleased when I saw the results of the working ones. As I got older, I played the console a lot more in the week, and got my dad into gaming as we’d both see how
far we could get at Firebird’s I-Ball 2. There were so many games to
play, there was no way I could get bored. Every year I would save my
money from Birthday cards to head to Trago Mills in Newton Abbot who used to sell games for 10p each! Cheaper than the price of pirating them! 10 good quality brand new games for £1, what better could anyone ask for? Over the years, even to this day, I occasionally play my ZX Spectrum 128k. I’ve snapped the play button through overuse, and now have to use a
screwdriver to start the tapes loading. The only downer with the +2
system is that I had too many games, and some are still new to me today!

Game Boy (1995)

It played games of similar quality to the ZX Spectrum +, it’s had very similar bleepy sound effects, it was the size of a common house brick and it had a very unclear dark green liquid Crystal on light green screen. Despite all those faults, I played it for hours and hours on end, playing games ranging from Super Mario Land to Donkey Kong, from Rareware’s Battle Toads to Robin Hood Prince of Theives. On the night of the day my brother actually bought his Game Boy off another of my uncles who had very
rarely played it, I found a concept that was totally new to me when it came to the Game Boy...Wormlights. Sure, it wasn’t a light designed for the Game Boy I was using, more of a “Goosebumps” limited edition book light used for reading books in the dark. I never even knew there was such thing as specially designed wormlights for the Game Boy. Maybe there weren’t at the time, but even so, I played my brother’s Game Boy day or night, light or dark, no matter what. It was my first opportunity to play a Nintendo system properly, and, being a fan of the 13-episode long Zelda cartoon series and the Super Mario Bros cartoon series’s on GMTV at the end of the 1980s/beginning of the 1990s, I was loving it! In 1997, my brother stopped getting so many games, already having a (rough) total of 30 Games, as he had set his sites on another Nintendo system. One with twice the power, and lots of bigger games...

Super Nintendo Entertainment System (1996)

Yep, despite the Nintendo 64 being out for a good while by then, the Super Nintendo was my brother’s next choice of console. He didn’t regret buying it either, getting games such as Super Mario Allstars (including Mario World), The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Probotector 2 and Super Mario Kart. Many an afternoon would be spent with my brother sat in front of a 14 inch TV racing each other on Super Mario Kart or trying to help each other get through Super Mario World. The SNES was just so much fun, like playing the Game Boy in full colour on the telly - which we did with the aid of the Super Game Boy. So, not only could we play the 15-20 SNES games my brother had, we also had a back catalogue of around 30 Game Boy games we could play with on the SNES. It was brilliant! If my brother had gone straight for the N64, I would never have played Super Star Wars or repeatedly beat my brother at Tetris Attack.

Nintendo 64 (1998)

Two years after the Super Nintendo, I had already played Goldeneye 007 at a friends house. So I had to nag at my brother to get the Nintendo 64 for himself with Goldeneye 007 (if he has the console, I don’t have to buy the games :) ) With the ability to play with up to four players, play in large 3D worlds and basically play much bigger and better games than any I had played before, every gaming moment on the N64, for me, was a happy moment. Maybe it was my brother’s choice in games, not every game on a system can be brilliant, but still, the games my brother bought were all good. My dad joined in with gaming on 1080 Snowboarding, and no matter how hard I try, I can’t find any scores that can beat my brother’s and my dads on 1080’s Time Trial mode. I wasn’t so good at that game, but I enjoyed the first person delights of the Turok series, the fast racing of the Extreme G games and F-Zero X , and even more enjoyable was working my way around the world of Hyrule in Ocarina of Time. Sure, the games looked cartoony and babyish, but they do in Final Fantasy IX, they do in Jak and Daxter, they do in so many games on other systems, usually the ones preferred by the people criticising Nintendo’s games, yet they still get high ratings from those who play them. The games were good fun to play, but they were a tad bit expensive. Luckily for me, that didn’t matter as it was my brother’s console and he was buying the games.

Game Boy Color (1999)

In 1999, Pokémon had not long been released and it was time I had a console to play it on. My brother already had Pokémon Red on his Game Boy, which I kept playing on his SNES, and ended up stopping him playing til I got Pokémon Blue for myself. That was my first Game Boy game on my
Game Boy Color. Sure, it may be a Game Boy Original game, but what a
game to start off my own collection with. Now, 3 years later I’ve got
roughly twenty more and have played most of them right through to the end. Sure, it may not be gaming like the kind you get on the Nintendo 64, but after being a long term fan of the classic era, with two ZX Spectrums, I needed to play something flat instead of 3D. I ended up getting practically all the Pokémon games, and many other classics such as Donkey Kong Country (SNES port) and Super Mario Bros (NES port). The Game Boy Color allowed me to play Game Boy games multiplayer for the first time via a Universal Link cable, and ended up being a Pokémon Master (though I never did have the Pokémon trained high enough when Nintendo came to Cardiff for the championships). Despite now owning a Game Boy Advance, I still have my Game Boy Color and I still play the
games, including those of the original Game Boy. I mean, why not? They’re still good games!

Game Boy Advance (2001)

This was the first console I ever bought on it’s own release date. Getting all excited and downloading all the adverts, I quickly preordered my Game Boy Advance. Then, on June 22nd, I woke up early, caught the first bus and bought my handheld with three lovely games. It’s been a year now and I can’t say it was as good as I expected it to be. I love the fact that the games are all retro, but it’s the fact that there have been so many crap games in comparison to decent ones, such as Mary-Kate and Ashley, Jurassic Park III: The DNA Factor and the numerous Mario Kart clones that have appeared on the market. However, the games I have enjoyed have been brilliant! From the short and sweet Sonic Advance to the stunning Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2, there’s no way you could get
bored with this system. I’ve usually played it on long car journeys, for an hour or so after school every now and then or when I’m lying in bed as I’ve usually just not had the time to play games so much within the last year due to school and coursework/exams. However, the future of the Game Boy Advance is looking bright (not orange) as games from the Super Nintendo such as Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past are heading for the 32-bit wonder. It will probably be then that I’ll be playing the Game Boy Advance like I should be.

Playstation 2 (2001)

Not long after it’s price drop to £199, my brother decided to get a Playstation 2. Now, as many Special Reserve members will know, I’ve said some pretty bad things about this console in the past. Most of what I said I still believe to be true. The controller is very unfriendly to the gamers and the fact it’s only got two controller ports is laughable (even Sony fans should realise that seeing as the N64 and Dreamcast, both con-
soles released before it had four controller ports - just a money making scheme for Sony selling multi-taps). The only game out of my brother’s collection of Playstation and Playstation 2 games he’s got since getting the Playstation 2 that I have enjoyed for more than the opening intro is Grand Theft Auto 3. Sure, some of the other games are ok, but only that. For multiplayer, Tekken Tag Tournament is quite fun with quite a range of characters, but it’s nothing too special, and on anything bigger than a 14 inch TV, the characters look just as much like 3D models as the Playstation Tekken games, apart from smoother graphics. It hasn’t played on my emotions, the emotion engine actually being just a processor which, if what people have said in the past is true, has never ever been used to the max. I am disappointed with this console but at least I can say it’s better than the X-box. My brother enjoys it though, and it’s his console.

Dreamcast (2001)

Christmas 2001, I got a Dreamcast. The reason I wanted one? Well I had played my friend’s Dreamcast on Sonic Adventure 2 and loved it. So, when better to get a console than near the end of it’s life? Now having near twenty games for this console, I am very happy with it. Most games seem very arcade-like and are most probably ports of SEGA’s arcade hits, though because I haven’t been such a big fan of SEGA in the past, I haven’t looked into this. This is the first console I played with a light-gun on, beating crooks in Confidential Mission and it’s the first game system I played, that I enjoyed, using a disc system. The controller seemed much better than the Playstation 2’s but not as good as the Nintendo 64‘s. The only downside with getting a Dreamcast is the timing.
Right when I’ve got lots of coursework and exams coming up in the 6th form at school. So, just like the Game Boy Advance, the Dreamcast has had less of a playing than it should have. I thought the free internet access
(depending on ISP) through the Dreamcast was a very good idea, but found it still isn’t a perfect system. Never mind though, I’ve enjoyed playing the console so far and I hope I will continue to in the future.

GameCube (2002)

Well, despite having to wait a month after it’s release, I finally got one. I’ve played it every night so far, and already have quite a collection of games. I’ve mostly been playing Super Monkey Ball and Super Smash Bros Melee, however, after recieving Pikmin last Friday, I’ve been plucking wild creatures quite a lot. I am hoping to get a few more games by the end of the year, such as Turok Evolution, Spider-man The Movie and Starfox Adventures, and whenever they are released I am hoping to get Super Mario Sunshine and The Legend of Zelda. I am very curious as to whether Phantasy Star Online actually does get a UK release and whether I’ll be able to use my own ISP for playing it online. It’s either that or get the game and hope one day Nintendo, like SEGA, release an update disc that does allow you to use an ISP with anytime service. The future of the GameCube looks bright, providing Microsoft or Sony don’t suddenly come up with a new console to try and knock Nintendo into SEGA-ville. Whatever happens, I’ll be staying loyal to Nintendo providing they stick to this kind of quality in consoles and gaming. Of course I’ll give the others a try, but Nintendo’s games and systems are my priority.

Other Systems (various)

Ofcourse, I have played on other systems in the past, and own my own PC with many a game, but I feel that console games aren’t the same. It’s just the ability to play somewhere more comfortable instead of sitting 2 feet away from the screen. The fact that you don’t need to install games and can play without having to buy additional controllers or download the latest Direct X drivers. Other systems I have played include: Nintendo Entertainment System, SEGA Saturn, SEGA MegaDrive, SEGA Game Gear, various arcade and various single-game handhelds.

There we have it, my history of gaming, in brief. I could have gone into much more detail, if only to have the satisfaction of boring some of you to death, but I thought I better not because the more time I spend typing, the less I spend gaming.
Sun 16/06/02 at 22:44
Regular
I think the Speccy (+ and +2) could only display up to 8 colours:

Red
Yellow
Cyan
Green
Blue
Magenta
Black
White

I think that's all of them...
Sun 16/06/02 at 22:24
Edgy wrote:
> A few games on the ZX Spectrum were like that.
>
> What amazes me is how gaming has changed very little!
>
> On the ZX Spectrum I played 3D space shooters that you could say
> Starfox on the SNES was modelled on (including Star Glider, a ZX
> Spectrum wireframe game which had enemy ships that looks like Imperial
> Walkers from Star Wars).
>
> Most games that tried to be close to 3D were isometric, though there
> was one that was 3D that was quite good though quite random:
> Knightlore.
>
> However, the majority of games that are likely to get GBA ports (Green
> Beret already has) are the games like Deviants, Knuckle Busters and
> the like. Most of the decent games I had were film licenses like James
> Bond License To Kill part 2 and Sylvestor Stallone Cobra.
>
> (I could go on about ZX Spectrum for hours and hours...)

It is the clasic of consoles including the dodgy keyboard ;0) rembers great games on the Amstrad128 like tau seti whch was a 3d game and some others pryamid. the Roland games like Roland on the ropes starwars return of the jedi was very good. The only problem with the Amstrad was its limited colour palette 16 max
Sun 16/06/02 at 21:14
Regular
A few games on the ZX Spectrum were like that.

What amazes me is how gaming has changed very little!

On the ZX Spectrum I played 3D space shooters that you could say Starfox on the SNES was modelled on (including Star Glider, a ZX Spectrum wireframe game which had enemy ships that looks like Imperial Walkers from Star Wars).

Most games that tried to be close to 3D were isometric, though there was one that was 3D that was quite good though quite random: Knightlore.

However, the majority of games that are likely to get GBA ports (Green Beret already has) are the games like Deviants, Knuckle Busters and the like. Most of the decent games I had were film licenses like James Bond License To Kill part 2 and Sylvestor Stallone Cobra.

(I could go on about ZX Spectrum for hours and hours...)
Sun 16/06/02 at 19:34
Interesting post. I was always interesting in computers the firts would be one of those atari systems where the games were just simple blocks that would be in the mid 70s.
My first pc was the Amstrad 128 and what a great little pc that was except for its 3" disks as oppoised to the 3 1/2" ones now. i learned to machine code on this machine all self taught with some help from aunty John if anybody remembers him.
Sun 16/06/02 at 19:25
Regular
Oh, I'm 17 :)
Sun 16/06/02 at 19:18
Regular
Liquid H²O wrote:
> That is some history. How old are you?
>
> You must have spent a lot of money on all that gear. How much do you
> reckon?

Well, lets just say too much lol.

Games-wise, I've not done too bad. I've got a tactic for getting good games at relatively low prices, which usually works for the PC anyway, and that is to wait. Wait for the games to be put into cheap bundles or to be lowered in price (or both) so that I can get more games than just one or two. That's why now, on the PC I have managed to get over 100 games (excluding a shareware disc with 250 DOS games on it).

For consoles, I have a much smaller collection. The consoles I own myself, Game Boy Color, Dreamcast, Game Boy Advance and GameCube I have between 8-20 each. The SNES games my brother paid no more than £15 each for, though most he bought second hand (thogh the SNES itself was brand new). The N64 my brother paid quite a lot for one or two of his games, but generally bought games that had gone down in price one hell of a lot. For the Game Boys, up to the Game Boy Color, the average price me or my brother paid for a game was £15, but most Game Boy Advance games I paid full price. I said how much I got the Spectrum games for, and I got the +2 very cheap. The GameCube I paid full price (£130) and my brother, although paying full price for many PS2 games, got most the PSX games for very low prices.

Basically, although me and my brother have a good load of games, we haven't paid for them all full price. Most were reduced due to age, and only a few were bought close to their release. I never let anyone borrow my games, and only on one occasion have I traded any in (but that was because those games were absolutely crap!). So that's how I've got a large collection overall, and is the reason I could do with many more TVs and rooms to set them up in so as to be able to play any game I want anytime!
Sun 16/06/02 at 17:32
Regular
RM18 wrote:
> Great post
>
> :)
>
> P.S. Shouldn't that be illustrious history? It fits and it concurs
> with the fact that there aren't any drawings in your 'illustrated'
> history.
>
> :D

No it shouldn't, he gave the link to the pictures right after it.
Sun 16/06/02 at 17:20
Regular
Great post

:)

P.S. Shouldn't that be illustrious history? It fits and it concurs with the fact that there aren't any drawings in your 'illustrated' history.

:D
Sun 16/06/02 at 16:14
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Hmm... intriguing...

*Strokes fake beard...*

I never doubted the mighty Edgy :D
Sun 16/06/02 at 16:03
Regular
That is some history. How old are you?

You must have spent a lot of money on all that gear. How much do you reckon?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.