GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"'Clever' gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/06/02 at 17:59
Regular
Are you a clever gamer? What I mean by this is do you play games that are very in-depth and complicated. It after playing games like Shenmue and Final Fantasy that I realised what it means to be an experienced gamer that likes a challenge from the old platformer or beat ‘em up. I seem to me, that game developers are making more and more of these games that are very easy to play and not much thinking involved. That is why when games like Final Fantasy come out, the ‘experienced gamers’ like them so much.

Games that involve thinking hard and long about a puzzle, I think are much better that games that need no thinking at all. Take beat ‘em ups. Now, I for one like bet ‘em ups, but don’t you feel that they get quite boring after a while, because they’re not much to do apart from fight. Whereas, in a game like Shenmue, because it involves thinking about different clues, and trying to solve different puzzles, it keeps you occupied for a long time and because there is also fighting involved, it still has the element of excitement involved. But why are these kinds of games only coming out rarely. It ceases to amaze me.

This is what I mean by clever gamer. A gamer that does not only feel that he or she can take on any puzzle or adventure game, but can take it on with ease. Someone, that not only think that games that need brains are the best kind of games, but also that have a game collection that are full of completed ‘clever’ games. Do you fit the bill?

I know that games like Tekken and Dead or Alive are fun, and football games are fun, but they don’t need any kind of brain-racking knowledge of games, or don’t even require you thinking at all. That is why games that require thinking to get through to the next stage or level, take so long to complete and always have great gameplay value and a great replayibilility value. This makes the gaming industry not only for kids and teenagers but also for other experienced gamers that might not want to play the same old beat’em up.

In some games, puzzles appear very often. This would give the clever gamer a challenge so that he would feel like he has got a test, what involves a bit of thinking. A good example of this is Final Fantasy. It has many puzzles and challenges to really get the gamer thinking. Personally, these kinds of games are my favourite as they really make me think about what to do. I have nothing against the football game and beat’em up as their just examples for this post, but I think that many people on the forums and other people that are not prefer the puzzle game.

Another thing that I have found is that less and fewer games are coming out, that actually need thinking to complete it. The only ones I can actually name are Final Fantasy X, Shenmue and Ico. (There might be more) These really need patience, skill and most importantly the ability to work out puzzles!

I know that gamers over the years have become les and less into the ‘clever’ games, where games that have a lot of violence and blood in, have become more popular. It just could be the youngsters of today, that think that the only game that is good is one with a lot of blood and guts, where the game that really is ‘good’ are the Zelda’s and the Final Fantasy’s, which involve thinking.

With the next generation of games upon us there is a real opportunity to move gameplay forward, but it seems that few developers are content to do that. With skill, dark content can be dealt with effectively, as shown by Metal Gear Solid 2 and Final Fantsay. Lets hope that game developers really push themselves to make some games that nned a bit of thinking involved to complete.

So, I think games that involve ‘thinking’ are totally under-rated by gamers today. I think that a lot people today are only interested in the games with blood and guts. We will have to see what is to come in the future…

Liquid
Sun 16/06/02 at 07:17
I haven't been here long but I don't think that you should repost things over an over again - people notice.

It probably lessens your chance of winning GAD...
Sat 15/06/02 at 21:28
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Could he still win a gad even though he has posted the same thing before or does he have to edit some bits?
Sat 15/06/02 at 18:47
Regular
"Hmmm....."
pawnstar* wrote:
> Geeze I hate to break up the argument an' all.

------------

No no, thats fine with me, im not arguing with him anyways..... theres no point y'see.

But, you made some good points in that reply.

Nice one.
;)
Sat 15/06/02 at 18:44
Geeze I hate to break up the argument an' all.

BUT, you quoted people who have less or no interest in puzzle games as 'inexperienced gamers.' I've been playing games on PC and Playstation for little less than ten years now, to be honest, I've never found any interest what so ever in puzzle games, there isn't as much relief from completing the thing, as there is frustration. I find that puzzle games aren't as popular when with mates. I know for a fact if I go round a mate's house I'd rather play something that involves more interaction than 1 person at a time. And I wouldn't be afraid to say it. I'm sure there are people who disagree, but in terms of popularity, puzzle games feature equally, if not less than other game types.
Sat 15/06/02 at 18:15
Regular
"Hmmm....."
And, when did I tell you what to do and who says that they hate what im doing.

If theyve thanked me, does that meen they hate me?

*points and laughs*
Sat 15/06/02 at 18:14
Regular
I never said I hadn't posted it before, I said I hadn't posted it a few times, like you thought I had.

Hovers finger over ban button...
Sat 15/06/02 at 18:12
Regular
"Hmmm....."
http://ukchatforums.reserve.co.uk/display_messages.php? threadid=44573&forumid=185

Whats that then?
Sat 15/06/02 at 18:09
Regular
No I haven't actaully. Anyway, who do you think you are telling me what to do, when all you ever do, is annoy people on the forums and think that you are someone special because of this stupid 'Fake Staff' thing, that all the REAL staff hate.
Sat 15/06/02 at 18:00
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Youve posted this quite a few times now.
Sat 15/06/02 at 17:59
Regular
Are you a clever gamer? What I mean by this is do you play games that are very in-depth and complicated. It after playing games like Shenmue and Final Fantasy that I realised what it means to be an experienced gamer that likes a challenge from the old platformer or beat ‘em up. I seem to me, that game developers are making more and more of these games that are very easy to play and not much thinking involved. That is why when games like Final Fantasy come out, the ‘experienced gamers’ like them so much.

Games that involve thinking hard and long about a puzzle, I think are much better that games that need no thinking at all. Take beat ‘em ups. Now, I for one like bet ‘em ups, but don’t you feel that they get quite boring after a while, because they’re not much to do apart from fight. Whereas, in a game like Shenmue, because it involves thinking about different clues, and trying to solve different puzzles, it keeps you occupied for a long time and because there is also fighting involved, it still has the element of excitement involved. But why are these kinds of games only coming out rarely. It ceases to amaze me.

This is what I mean by clever gamer. A gamer that does not only feel that he or she can take on any puzzle or adventure game, but can take it on with ease. Someone, that not only think that games that need brains are the best kind of games, but also that have a game collection that are full of completed ‘clever’ games. Do you fit the bill?

I know that games like Tekken and Dead or Alive are fun, and football games are fun, but they don’t need any kind of brain-racking knowledge of games, or don’t even require you thinking at all. That is why games that require thinking to get through to the next stage or level, take so long to complete and always have great gameplay value and a great replayibilility value. This makes the gaming industry not only for kids and teenagers but also for other experienced gamers that might not want to play the same old beat’em up.

In some games, puzzles appear very often. This would give the clever gamer a challenge so that he would feel like he has got a test, what involves a bit of thinking. A good example of this is Final Fantasy. It has many puzzles and challenges to really get the gamer thinking. Personally, these kinds of games are my favourite as they really make me think about what to do. I have nothing against the football game and beat’em up as their just examples for this post, but I think that many people on the forums and other people that are not prefer the puzzle game.

Another thing that I have found is that less and fewer games are coming out, that actually need thinking to complete it. The only ones I can actually name are Final Fantasy X, Shenmue and Ico. (There might be more) These really need patience, skill and most importantly the ability to work out puzzles!

I know that gamers over the years have become les and less into the ‘clever’ games, where games that have a lot of violence and blood in, have become more popular. It just could be the youngsters of today, that think that the only game that is good is one with a lot of blood and guts, where the game that really is ‘good’ are the Zelda’s and the Final Fantasy’s, which involve thinking.

With the next generation of games upon us there is a real opportunity to move gameplay forward, but it seems that few developers are content to do that. With skill, dark content can be dealt with effectively, as shown by Metal Gear Solid 2 and Final Fantsay. Lets hope that game developers really push themselves to make some games that nned a bit of thinking involved to complete.

So, I think games that involve ‘thinking’ are totally under-rated by gamers today. I think that a lot people today are only interested in the games with blood and guts. We will have to see what is to come in the future…

Liquid

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.