GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do you believe in God?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/06/02 at 17:01
Regular
As opposed to a bunch of geeks that aren't quite human and aren't quite mikmen making up theories based on possibilities.
God, being the greater being, not particularly from any religion. Although one of the hindu gods is a four-armed elephant-man. Just thought i'd let you know...
Thu 20/06/02 at 16:41
Regular
Doglatto wrote:
> god drinks fosters

Nah, Red Bull. C'mon, you've seen the adverts :-)
Wed 19/06/02 at 21:50
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Oh, and interesting point about e=mc2 confining us to our solar system. Although electrons can be trasferred faster than the speed of light, this is something due to quantum effect... the rest of us look pretty much likely to stay at sub-lightspeed forever!

That said, schrodinger's wave curve is a function that shows the position of an object. You see, an atom, sat in the table infront of you, could be anywhere in the galaxy at any moment... but it's most likely to be on the table.

Now, this means that, if all the atoms in your body were moved to the edge of the Universe at once, you would, for an instance of time, rematerialise there. Unfortunately, this will most likely never happen in the life of the Universe:(

So we may well be confined to our Solar system! Mind you... there are wormholes! The wormhole that was created in the film 'contact' is based on 100% scientific fact (it was developed by professors at an American University), and is 100% plausable except that the existence of some "exotic material" must be proven. So, we could move lighhyears without feeling more than 2G on our bodies.

(NB. This wormhole was actualy set as an end of year exam question for the physics student at the uni. While many of them proved scientific principals about it, few actualy realised it represented a wormhole that allowed objects to pass through freely!)

Sonic
Wed 19/06/02 at 21:41
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Bartender, you're wrong on the arithmetic thing...

You see, it can be 100% proven from axioms that Euclidian Geometry, for example, is completely self consitent- there will never be a contradiction in it. Likewise, since Euclidean Geometry is 100% self consitent, so too are all other forms of geometry.

This leads to interesting points like, if you were able to prove the parallel line axiom from other axioms, then all geometry would collapse.

Now, I say that geometry is consitent. This is ONLY the case if arithmetic is consistent. And it can NEVER be proved to be! It has been proven that, if you can prove that arithmetic is consistent, then it will cause contradictions within arithmetic and all maths would crumble.

So, it will never be PROVEN that arithmetic is consistent, and all forms of maths (well, almost all forms) rely on this. So, it requires faith in maths in the same way as religion requires faith in God.

Thus, we could have an arithmetic that is inconsistent, and thus all maths is wrong. And this is not as unbelievable as you think- at one time it was thought that everything in maths could be proved to be consistent (after all, maths IS proof!). So there was a MASSIVE program of study to reprove every single piece of mathematics and show consistency...

And it was done for about 90% of maths until (dum dum dum...) some mathematician proved that arithmetic cannot be shown to be self consistent!

But Mathematicians have faith that its consistent anyway... yet some scientists still critise religion because it isn't proven;)

Sonic
Wed 19/06/02 at 21:21
Regular
"^^^New Online Arcad"
No
Wed 19/06/02 at 18:15
"Mimmargh!"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> E-MC˛, in my opinion, is likely loaded with such errors. But I
> have never tried to create the theory from scratch myself, so I don't
> know for sure. Personally, thinking about the future of mankind, we
> really had better hope that the equation is laughably incorrect,
> otherwise we are largely doomed to exist in our own solar system, as
> is every other form of intelligent life in the galaxy. We are truly
> alone.

Maybe, but lightspeed may not be the only way to travel through space, its early days yet!
When Europeans started colonising America only 300 years ago it took a good year to sail there!

Still, if there is a way then why hasn't anyone else contacted us.
Whoops....looks like I'm going off on a tangent again....
Wed 19/06/02 at 16:01
"Darkness, always"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:

> The pollen could move around because a little man inside it
> decides to! It couls be like super monkey ball!

Of course, yours is by far the more plausible explanation...

> If the science is based in maths (like Superstraing- 24dimensional
> strings have been found in mathematical equations, and not actually
> seen), then, like I said, maths is not proven to be self consistent.
> One day someone may find that arithmetic contradicts itself, and all
> of maths would break down!

arithmatics is essentially a method of accouting for, and tracking variables. No amount of research will ever disprove 1+1=2. The foundations of mathematics are indisputable, based on pure unadulterated logic. Only where a mistake has been made in theory calculation can any part of mathematics be disproved.

> So, e=mc^2 could be wrong as it's maths based. However, all the
> evidence we have say that it isn't (well it is actually, because that
> version of the equation missed out some terms!).

E-MC˛, in my opinion, is likely loaded with such errors. But I have never tried to create the theory from scratch myself, so I don't know for sure. Personally, thinking about the future of mankind, we really had better hope that the equation is laughably incorrect, otherwise we are largely doomed to exist in our own solar system, as is every other form of intelligent life in the galaxy. We are truly alone.
Wed 19/06/02 at 14:16
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Davy, it's interesting that you mention physics...

All physics is either based on observation or based on maths. If it's based on observation, it means it could be 100% wrong. For example, put pollen on water, and the pollen grain will go in zig zags. Physics says that this is because of the Brownian Motion effect- the pollen is hitting molecules of water. However, the fact is that this hasn't been proven. The pollen could move around because a little man inside it decides to! It couls be like super monkey ball!

If the science is based in maths (like Superstraing- 24dimensional strings have been found in mathematical equations, and not actually seen), then, like I said, maths is not proven to be self consistent. One day someone may find that arithmetic contradicts itself, and all of maths would break down!

So, e=mc^2 could be wrong as it's maths based. However, all the evidence we have say that it isn't (well it is actually, because that version of the equation missed out some terms!).

Sonic
Wed 19/06/02 at 14:14
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Insane Bartender wrote:
> "Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum"

As Bin Laden proved !!
Wed 19/06/02 at 13:10
"Darkness, always"
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum"
Tue 18/06/02 at 23:21
Regular
god drinks fosters

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.