GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XboxRules.com - Need Opinions?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/06/02 at 14:51
Regular
Ok....

As some of you may know XboxRules.com is the collective efforts of many people from the Xbox forum on SR.

Now it has been 3 months we have been running and I would like some fresh and updated opinions on the site!

Tell me what you think, plus and negative, but please be constructive! :)

http://www.XboxRules.com
Fri 14/06/02 at 10:14
Regular
"yamahapkowner.com"
Well ive tried to a test page. The main site first page is now compatible for 800x600 users.

Give it a try and tell me what you think....

As for the size, im not quite sure yet how im going to cut down, but ill have a think!
Fri 14/06/02 at 09:46
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
it took me 6 seconds to load the index with 512k broadband, loading time coming from you Turbonutter? your background image was bigger than GlideM's whole page a few weeks ago ;)
The buttons are made from tables so adding design to them could be hard.
Being too big for a 800x600 is a shame but it's not important, just because the bottom scrollers there doesn't mean you need to use it as theres nothing on the right hand side of the page that you'd need + it would take a lot of work to get it smaller as i'm sure he has loads of pages using that template.
Also, I don't think the websites avaliable to the 40% that uses 800x600 as it's not on any search engines, maybe soon though.
Thu 13/06/02 at 23:34
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I should also add that your index.html is 124k, which is quite astounding.
Thu 13/06/02 at 23:33
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
SORT YOUR SITE WIDTH OUT

God people like you disgust me. Inconsiderate tank.

*ahem*

Look how angry you've got me.

Oh, and your download times are unacceptable. Your page is exactly 312k, including elements required to be displayed (*pats wget*), this really is quite large.
Thu 13/06/02 at 22:51
Garin wrote:
> For me a bigger problem though is the download speed, 190k html for
> the index page is just too much, especially with 130k of images thrown
> in. I think you'd do well to optimize your code.
>
> -G

they certainly would! i hadnt realised it was so big - i have a habit of loading a page then wandering off somewhere.....

do u really need such a large index page? i realise that the stuff on the home page is recent, but it still should be possible to split this up...
Thu 13/06/02 at 22:46
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
If I would youI'd put all the news into an archive except that which is brand new. I have a 576kb/s broadband connection and it took over 10 seconds for it to load for me, I pity those with 56k who try to access the site. Make the homepage small,loadable and like Turbo said with funky buttons because it all looks a little bland at the moment.
Thu 13/06/02 at 22:43
Regular
"How Handy."
Design looks great, but it's not exactly the best built and most useable..

I'm running at 1280x1024, and I have a few windows open at once, your site wouldnt fit in my browser window, and my making it too wide for 800x600 your cutting out a massive chunk of your target audience.

Load times are ridiculous, having to wait for anything on ADSL is annoying, and I dread to think what dialup users must have to put up with.

Also, the site layout and the login/who's browsing sections look very familiar, where did you get the ideas from?
Thu 13/06/02 at 22:36
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Turbo and Nimco made the point about the resolution pretty clear I think so I won't repeat it...

For me a bigger problem though is the download speed, 190k html for the index page is just too much, especially with 130k of images thrown in. I think you'd do well to optimize your code.

-G
Thu 13/06/02 at 21:52
GlideM wrote:
> 800x600 users are not catered for, 1024x768 is the minumum hence your
> width thing!
>
> Not going to change sorry!

if u ask me thats stupid! about 40% of visitors to the average site are using an 800x600 monitor, and others will have a non-full screen browser window.
Thu 13/06/02 at 21:47
Regular
"yamahapkowner.com"
Hmmmmm

800x600 users are not catered for, 1024x768 is the minumum hence your width thing!

Not going to change sorry!

Any plus opinions would be nice as well you know!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.