GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Recommend me a Wireless Router!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 26/08/06 at 17:47
Regular
"LFXX98763X"
I currently have a cable modem/router and looking to upgrade to a wireless router within the next week or so.
Im looking at the Netgear DG834GT Integrated ADSL Modem and 108Mbps 802.11g Wireless Firewall Router but since I have no previous knowledge of wireless routers etc. I was hoping for some help.

I'll be connecting both a laptop and a PC but may also want to use a cable for the PC so a decent number of ports is necesary.

Also, some help with the adapters if possible. Im not sure whether the laptop can take an adapter so it may need to be USB??! I'll come back with an answer on this one once I take a look.

Anyone have any opinions or other options for me? Under a £100 is ideal.

Cheers in advance!
Sun 27/08/06 at 16:11
Regular
All I can add is that we have several PCs networked here and they are all wired into the router, when the laptop came along with its wireless technology it came with a FREE wireles router so I plugged the new wireless router into the existing cabled network and set it to be used as an access point, so the laptop can now connect wirelessly to this router or via cat 5 cable and yet uses the connection that the other router has established with broadband, it was fairly easy to set up and works well.

The Free wireless router is a BT Voyager and my original router is my Freeola ETEC one.

Kev
Sun 27/08/06 at 12:24
"Are you sure?"
Rather then buy a new router you could buy a Wireless Access Point which plugs into your existing router.

I've got a Netgear WG602 [URL]http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_access_points_WG602.php[/URL]
which works well for me.

This also allows you easy control of your wireless network.

Even though I use MAC filtering and WPA security, as it's a separate device, I only turn it on when wireless access is required - unlike a combined wireless router that's transmitting all the time.
You never know it might do me some good in the long run if they find that people sitting next to their wireless routers have been radiating themselves as it's like sitting next to a mini mobile phone transmitter...

As for adaptors, I have a laptop that uses a WG511 and a desktop that uses a USB WG111 both from Netgear [URL]http://www.netgear.co.uk/home_wireless_networkcards_108mbps.php[/URL]

Hope that helps...
Sat 26/08/06 at 17:47
Regular
"LFXX98763X"
I currently have a cable modem/router and looking to upgrade to a wireless router within the next week or so.
Im looking at the Netgear DG834GT Integrated ADSL Modem and 108Mbps 802.11g Wireless Firewall Router but since I have no previous knowledge of wireless routers etc. I was hoping for some help.

I'll be connecting both a laptop and a PC but may also want to use a cable for the PC so a decent number of ports is necesary.

Also, some help with the adapters if possible. Im not sure whether the laptop can take an adapter so it may need to be USB??! I'll come back with an answer on this one once I take a look.

Anyone have any opinions or other options for me? Under a £100 is ideal.

Cheers in advance!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.