GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming: the most Original idea ever?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 01/11/00 at 20:27
Regular
We've been playing games now for what seems to be an eternity. But why!? Is it because we are all unsocial people with no friends who have nothing better to do than to sit at a TV or monitor screen shooting zombies, playing virtual football, or racing around a high speed ring in a Maclaren F1?

Well, make of this what you will, but in my opinion, us games playing people do have lives, and we are social (most of the time) and we do have friends, In fact multiplayer gaming is here because we do have friends, and that is why it is so popular.

So, why do you play games? What is the point? None of it's real, it won't get you any money, it won't pay your bills (unless you are really good and win some kind of competition) So - why! The fact is that Video gaming is a highly participated form of entertainment, which is steadily catching up with the likes of the Music industry, the film and cinema industry and the world of sport participation. It's because games, as we know, stretch the boundaries of normal life, they let you break the rules they let you get away with it because it isn't real. But basically, it's because we can do so much more things than we can in real life.

Don't get me wrong, in a game you can't 'feel' or 'think' like in real life, and you can't really make full use of your senses (but then that's what life is for!) but what you can do is amazing.
In real life would you drive around a Formula 1 circuit at 200mph? It isn't likely, because this would require a lot of training, you'd need to be incredibly fit and would most probably have to be in a Motor sport of some kind. I'm sure if you are an F1 driver you'll agree that Real life driving is far more exciting than racing 'virtually' on a console or PC, but we can't all be F1 drivers. Firstly playing a video gaming is far safer, and the majority of us would never otherwise get the chance to do such things, so we play these types of games because it is exciting, and it represents a small (but worthwhile) amount of fun and enjoyment. And, as gaming progresses we will get closer to the real thing, and this can only be a good thing.
As games do get better and more involving they'll become more exciting (I hope!) and have more realism. One such game that will turn gaming around and upside down/inside out and what have you is Metropolis Street Racer (MSR for short). It's out pretty soon, and I'm sure you'll agree that it is pretty amazing when you get a chance to play it. Gaming is developing - fast, and for the better.
So, pre book some of your free time for the next few years, because gaming, my fiends, is about to get real.
Wed 26/03/08 at 13:36
Regular
"Moderator"
hi all i have been given some discount codes from simply scuba to hand out they entitle you to 5% discount off any off there products so email me for codes
Tue 07/11/00 at 20:20
................?
Fri 03/11/00 at 18:53
Nice won!
OK, MSR is out today, hoorah!
Fri 03/11/00 at 12:26
Havn't you ever got completeley involved in a game?

i remember the first time i played Final Fantasy 8, i played for 5 hours solid.

And as for games skills i think that applies to anyone who really plays games.
Thu 02/11/00 at 18:42
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
No friends? guess that means i'm not a true gamer, I still have a social life but seem to have unusual powers of beating my mates even after not playing for some time, Sometimes when it's too wet to go out I sit with my eyes fixed to the TV and play for ages, but thats only on rare occasions.
Wed 01/11/00 at 21:11
Regular
Yes you fiend!
Wed 01/11/00 at 20:27
We've been playing games now for what seems to be an eternity. But why!? Is it because we are all unsocial people with no friends who have nothing better to do than to sit at a TV or monitor screen shooting zombies, playing virtual football, or racing around a high speed ring in a Maclaren F1?

Well, make of this what you will, but in my opinion, us games playing people do have lives, and we are social (most of the time) and we do have friends, In fact multiplayer gaming is here because we do have friends, and that is why it is so popular.

So, why do you play games? What is the point? None of it's real, it won't get you any money, it won't pay your bills (unless you are really good and win some kind of competition) So - why! The fact is that Video gaming is a highly participated form of entertainment, which is steadily catching up with the likes of the Music industry, the film and cinema industry and the world of sport participation. It's because games, as we know, stretch the boundaries of normal life, they let you break the rules they let you get away with it because it isn't real. But basically, it's because we can do so much more things than we can in real life.

Don't get me wrong, in a game you can't 'feel' or 'think' like in real life, and you can't really make full use of your senses (but then that's what life is for!) but what you can do is amazing.
In real life would you drive around a Formula 1 circuit at 200mph? It isn't likely, because this would require a lot of training, you'd need to be incredibly fit and would most probably have to be in a Motor sport of some kind. I'm sure if you are an F1 driver you'll agree that Real life driving is far more exciting than racing 'virtually' on a console or PC, but we can't all be F1 drivers. Firstly playing a video gaming is far safer, and the majority of us would never otherwise get the chance to do such things, so we play these types of games because it is exciting, and it represents a small (but worthwhile) amount of fun and enjoyment. And, as gaming progresses we will get closer to the real thing, and this can only be a good thing.
As games do get better and more involving they'll become more exciting (I hope!) and have more realism. One such game that will turn gaming around and upside down/inside out and what have you is Metropolis Street Racer (MSR for short). It's out pretty soon, and I'm sure you'll agree that it is pretty amazing when you get a chance to play it. Gaming is developing - fast, and for the better.
So, pre book some of your free time for the next few years, because gaming, my fiends, is about to get real.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.