GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console or software - what do Nintendo do best?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/06/02 at 10:26
Regular
This topic kind of follows on from the speculation around comments made by Satoru Iwata (Nintendo's new President) last week about the Gamecube being Nintendo's last console (speculation whych was, by
the way, mainly based on a mis-interpretation of what Iwata actually said!)

If (and it is a big IF) Nintendo did stop making hardware but continued making software, would it be a good thing or a bad
thing?

Is it the hardware that makes the 'Nintendo Difference',or is it just the software?

I think that it's really the software that Nintendo do best of all anyway...but do we need a Nintendo-dedicated console to play the games on?

Cheers,

Paul Harries
Aberystwyth
[email protected]
Mon 10/06/02 at 21:49
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Gar-J wrote:
> Seeing as Nintendo's console is the newest and latest, in theory it
> should also be the most technically impressive.

It's not the latest... The Xbox's original US release date was after that of the GCs Japanese release date...
Oh, and all this about being more technically impressive. What nonsense! The releases were so close that do you expect massive differences?!?

As it stands, it
> isn't, and as well as being miles behind the Xbox in terms of power,

How do you define "power". Does "power" make better games? After all, Mario World on the SNES is still better than almost any game since...

> it is also defeated by the aging PS2 in some areas.

Errr... surely that's because the PS2 developers have been working on the console for far, far longer?

In light of this,
> I would say that Nintendo are best at making games - their consoles
> are nothing to shout about as the Gamecube's disappointing tech-specs
> and even the N64 before it prove.

The Mega Drive was far less powerful than the SNES... did that make the console any worse? No- because it still allowed people to do what they wanted with it!

Sonic
Mon 10/06/02 at 17:33
Gar-J wrote:
> Seeing as Nintendo's console is the newest and latest, in theory it
> should also be the most technically impressive. As it stands, it
> isn't, and as well as being miles behind the Xbox in terms of power,
> it is also defeated by the aging PS2 in some areas. In light of this,
> I would say that Nintendo are best at making games - their consoles
> are nothing to shout about as the Gamecube's disappointing tech-specs
> and even the N64 before it prove.

you even got you facts wrong here the Cube has been indepentantly tested as being more powerfull then the Xbox you cannot go bye just the fancy numbers alone its like and althon xp2000 having much more power then a intel p4 2000.
Rember that the cube uses a special risc chip
Mon 10/06/02 at 13:01
Regular
Seeing as Nintendo's console is the newest and latest, in theory it should also be the most technically impressive. As it stands, it isn't, and as well as being miles behind the Xbox in terms of power, it is also defeated by the aging PS2 in some areas. In light of this, I would say that Nintendo are best at making games - their consoles are nothing to shout about as the Gamecube's disappointing tech-specs and even the N64 before it prove.
Mon 10/06/02 at 12:08
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I think it's a combination of the 2 really.
And it would definitley still be good to see them continuing their games developments.

Who else could continue on a series like Zelda or Mario, and keep it as good as ever - if not even better!??? No-one, exactly!
We need Nintendo for games like this, they offer us a variety in gaming from the typical to-sellers that everyone buys on the PS2 and X-box - like GTA 3 and Halo for example.
We also need SEGA for the same reason.

When you think about it, Nintendo consoles aren't really all that impressive, and they're usually quite plain and simple (yet powerfull), which leads you to realise that it's the games that matter.

Without both Nintendo and SEGA, we would never see a games console truly dedicated to gaming solely!

We don't buy a Nintendo console for the console itself, we buy it for those innovative and unforgettable games.
Mon 10/06/02 at 10:26
This topic kind of follows on from the speculation around comments made by Satoru Iwata (Nintendo's new President) last week about the Gamecube being Nintendo's last console (speculation whych was, by
the way, mainly based on a mis-interpretation of what Iwata actually said!)

If (and it is a big IF) Nintendo did stop making hardware but continued making software, would it be a good thing or a bad
thing?

Is it the hardware that makes the 'Nintendo Difference',or is it just the software?

I think that it's really the software that Nintendo do best of all anyway...but do we need a Nintendo-dedicated console to play the games on?

Cheers,

Paul Harries
Aberystwyth
[email protected]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.