GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ninty doing a SEGA???"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 09/06/02 at 18:04
Regular
Have you read one of SR's latest news story's???

It's basically about an announcement from the new Nintendo president Satoru Iwata saying that the GameCube could be the last console we ever see from the Big N - just like how SEGA ended their console history with the Dreamcast of '99.

This can't be happening!! Things will never be the same again!!
Like I said in my 'Wihtout SEGA' topic, the Gaming World would've never been as good without SEGA - and the same applies if there was no Nintendo!
Many SEGA fans are sad to see SEGA finally call it a day on console developments, and it's possible that we could be feeling the same in just over 5 years time!

But hey, it's only a 'possibillity', and nothing's definite, nor has it been confirmed or annonced by anyone at Nintendo.
And even if they do 'do a SEGA', at least we'll still have those superb and imaginitive pieces of innovations to enjoy - even if they are on alien-like formats.

Just think how SEGA fans feel now... that could be us!
But hey, at least we still have the Cube and it's future games, the GBA, and many Nintendo games of the past to enjoy - into the future!

What would happen to Rare???
Would Nintendo sell-up on them so they could go to SONY, Microsoft, or whoever else is envloved then???

So much to talk about, so many things that Shigsy and co. have done for us ALL! What's your view on the possible matter??

No-one can live forever and Shigsy isn't exactly 'sweet 16' anymore.
All good things have to come to an end sometime. :(

Let's enjoy them while their console are still here!
What do you think about the possibillities of seeing Mario and Zelda on the PS4 or Microsoft Z Crate??? :S
Mon 10/06/02 at 17:21
Acording to what he was saying is that they think the cube will last about 7 years so theres no point in dooing a new one for a while remember psx was out for many years before Ps2 come out
Mon 10/06/02 at 16:34
Regular
"Digging!"
the sr news monkey got a bit mixed up there. The president of nintendo never actually said that nintendo wouldnt make another console, just that consoles aren't going to sell alone buy there specs now.
Mon 10/06/02 at 16:15
Regular
Gar-J wrote:
Why? Cos hardware upgrades don't work in
> console land.

In some cases but not always true, the expansion pack was a great sucess on the N64 and Ninty have put an expansion port on the bottom of the Cube incase at some point they decide to add memory expansion for the Cube.
Mon 10/06/02 at 16:04
Regular
Solskjær wrote:
> And I don't see how they can regularly update the GameCube by cramming
> in new cards and chips every now and again, into something so small
> and compact! You'd need something at least X-box sized to do that!
>
> It works with PC's because they are so big.

Actually, more RAM, faster CPUs and different graphics cards could easily be put into a Gamecube, as they are all the same size. They're just faster/more compact versions. Although possible in theory and physically, I don't see Nintendo doing it for the same reason I said previously - hardware upgrades are not popular and fail.
Mon 10/06/02 at 16:02
Regular
Alexrose1uk wrote:
> Come on, how many people believe this will happen?Nintendo is a
> large,famous and fairly popular company-and they know it!
> They won't quit, they just mean they may not have completely design a
> new console, just occassionally update the Gamecube's design i.e new
> graphics card, more memory.

You obiously don't remember the failure of the Mega-CD, or indeed the 32X then. Adding to a console's power via upgrades does NOT work, as Sega proved twice in the past. They were on about doing the same thing with the Saturn which would allow a decent version of Virtua Fighter 3 on the console, but alas they decided not to do that and stuck it on the Dreamcast instead. Why? Cos hardware upgrades don't work in console land.
Mon 10/06/02 at 14:50
Regular
"Long time no see!"
True. But they didn't continue work with their games like Nintendo should and SEGA are doing.
Mon 10/06/02 at 13:58
Regular
"Thongs of Praise"
Hey Sega isnt the only peeps to stop making consoles, look at Amiga, Atari, the Speccy and that crappy Philips thing.
Mon 10/06/02 at 11:59
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Alexrose1uk wrote:
> Come on, how many people believe this will happen?Nintendo is a
> large,famous and fairly popular company-and they know it!
> They won't quit, they just mean they may not have completely design a
> new console, just occassionally update the Gamecube's design i.e new
> graphics card, more memory.

They said the same about SEGA too!
And I don't see how they can regularly update the GameCube by cramming in new cards and chips every now and again, into something so small and compact! You'd need something at least X-box sized to do that!

It works with PC's because they are so big.

It'd still be good to see Nintendo games around anyway.
And you'd have so many chances to go back and play through the consoles of the past - Nintendo consoles would be like gold!!
Mon 10/06/02 at 11:27
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
Come on, how many people believe this will happen?Nintendo is a large,famous and fairly popular company-and they know it!
They won't quit, they just mean they may not have completely design a new console, just occassionally update the Gamecube's design i.e new graphics card, more memory.
Mon 10/06/02 at 09:42
Regular
"going underground"
oh come on!! did anyone actually READ the announcement? what he actually meant was that continual updating of consoles isn't necessary any more due to the recent massive technological advancement which now means developers can do whatever they like on consoles easily, without technical restrictions (well... maybe not ps2). the gamecube will therefore be around for far longer than the usual 5 years.

"The effort to produce machines with better technology has reached its limit".

on the other hand imo the gc is the last under-tv nintendo console because the market has changed from game companies producing consoles to 'entertainment' (spits) companies producing consoles with game companies producing games on them. nintendo will stop supporting gamecube in about eight years' time and work on ps3 and xbox 2. if it's called that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.