GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New Advertising Techniques"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 09/06/02 at 11:39
Regular
After watching recently many advertisements for new game releases, (especially the semi-recent Metal Gear Solid 2 and GameCube ads) I have come to the conclusion that game advertising still remains rather formulaic and what's worse, doesn't show why I should buy the game advertised. Most of the ads are happy by showing some subtly surrealist sequence and/or combining it with FMV from the game. I think that excluding actual lack of skill, one of the reasons game advertisements are, in general, unsuccessful is because the advertisers find it difficult to recreate through visuals only the immediate and tangible feeling of playing the videogame in question – that is why advertisers usually resort to using surrealistic and/or metaphorical imagery. I feel that new ways to advertise videogames are needed; surely more games would be sold if more people in the audience knew what the advertisement was actually trying to sell. With this in mind, I have come up with a new technique for use in advertising –a more direct approach that would be more useful.

My idea involves heavy use of montage as defined by Sergei Eisenstein and his colleagues of 1920s Soviet cinema. In short, montage refers to the technique in which creation of a sense or meaning is not derived from the images themselves but by their constant juxtaposition; Eisenstein's aim was to manipulate the audience’s emotions into one pre–determined direction using this technique. The best example of this technique, for me, comes in a sequence at the end of Eisenstein's The Strike, in which the workers on strike are shown being massacred by the Tsarist army. The way in which the sequence is shot, however, emphasizes the tragedy by cross–cutting and juxtaposing images from a butcher cutting up a cow (I believe the point Eisenstein was trying to make in this sequence is obvious). However, although I suggest using Eisenstein's definition, in practice I'm thinking of using montage in the manner of Kuleshov's experiments. In one of these experiments he showed how a smile was seen to change its significance according to the image that preceded it. It is this kind of idea that I'd like implemented in game advertisements. I'll provide a simple example:

- A person is shown playing a game console.
- Shot of smile.
- Footage of game being played.
- Shot of smile.
- Game console and/or game advertised are shown separately, along with company logo.
- Shot of smile.

Admittedly, my example is somewhat crude and unimaginative. Nevertheless, I believe a talented filmmaker could make better, more effective game advertisements using the basic structure of montage and combining with creativity. Learn the rules, and then break them. Advertising is a very fashion oriented industry; producers go with what happens to be in vogue at that particular time. Take Sony's 'Third Place' series as an example. Gamers and critics raved about it; it was off-the-wall, kind of cool, and very 'Sony'. But when my mother saw the ads she had no idea what they were for. It might be fashionable it skirt around what you're advertising, but don't stray too far. Secondly, who is your target audience? If you're advertising the latest Silent Hill title then sure, a montage might well get your target thinking about the product, and considering what your point is. But try it on the latest Action Man title and you'll not stand a chance. The Cheerios ad following is more exciting than thinking. Thirdly, you'd have to be careful. Imagine an advert for Doom 3, chainsaws and plasma rifles ripping demons apart, interspersed with visuals of someone smiling. Does that say 'fun game' to you? Or does it say 'Hey, you're a psycho'? Montage requires thought, so it's really for adults, which means it’s for adult games, and, well, chainsaws and smiles.

Ok, there’s the awful Halo advert, that’s given. It’s trying to sell the game on testosterone and slick graphics. But that’s what the game is all about. Fairy snuff. But what about the GameCube ads? They're offbeat without being obscure, they show the games well, and they have a thought provoking twist. And on top of that they promote the Nintendo brand. Few companies could ask for more from an ad. Sometimes, being different for the sake of it doesn't work. Film and television literacy jumps with every generation. Eisenstein is rightly applauded as a pioneer, and his films have a powerful artistry, but as a modern sales device? Yes, games advertising usually misses the point, and modern advertising in general often lacks focus, but this is due to advertisers fear of being seen as boring, condescending, and manipulative, to a young audience. Being thudding obvious is almost as bad as being too oblique. Also the ability to 'read' games footage is an acquired skill. The Jak and Daxter ads quite neatly used the cut-scene footage to emphasize its 'cartoon-ness' and humor. I thought the Lucozade ads did a great job of selling the essence of the games, with a bit of added humor thrown in, without alienating anyone by showing Ms. Croft blowing away cuddly, wild animals.
Pity they were selling soft drinks, and not the games...

Thanks for reading,
LF
Tue 11/06/02 at 20:51
Regular
Good post, i would say it was worthy of a GAD, BUT every one else has said it :D
Tue 11/06/02 at 20:45
Regular
"One More Chance"
Great post, worthy of GAD (man thats orginal)

Anyway you raised some intresting points which made me think.

Well done.
Tue 11/06/02 at 20:45
Regular
"aka 'SLIM'"
Great post mate, it really made me think and probably many others about what you have said about console adverts!
Tue 11/06/02 at 20:38
GAD hasn't been posted for that day yet, but I presume it will be tomorrow or whenever...

I'm not expecting to win, because they only gave me a GAD the other day - that's enough...although I wouldn't turn down another :P

*Checks competition for 9/6/02*

:)
Tue 11/06/02 at 20:33
Regular
Great post, pitty you didn't win...
Tue 11/06/02 at 20:31
Regular
Great post mate, worthy of another GAD. Lucky git...:P Still, you deserve it.

Momo.
Tue 11/06/02 at 19:50
Regular
Great Post mate and as just about nearly everyone has said could have your 3rd GAD.
Tue 11/06/02 at 19:41
Regular
"That's right!"
I used to get 10 replies all saying my post should win... and they never did

*single tear runs down MoJo's cheek*

Anyway, nice post, I see where you're coming from

I think the Medal Of Honour adverts have been good so far, for Allied Assault and Front Line. They actually showed game footage for one thing
Tue 11/06/02 at 19:40
Regular
"es argh"
Great post, raised some good points.

Can't discuss them due to lack of being arsed.

A GAD worthy post all the same.
Tue 11/06/02 at 19:40
Regular
"  "
Thats a good post. I think that x-box ad was terrible....whats a man flying through his lifetime got to do with the xbox. Yes life is short. But wat r they tring to imply. Buy an xbox before you die? I did like the GC ones. It kinda showed the player trapped in a cube and u could see clips of games around him. Quite well done. As for Sony...i liked them...not sure if non gamers would understand them though.

good post though ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.