GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Programming Helpline - Useful?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 09/06/02 at 11:13
Regular
If you were trying to put a web site together and found yourself with a problem (say in PHP, HTML, MYSQL etc) that you couldn't resolve, how useful would a service be to you where you could contact a PHP expert via an Instant Messaging client (say Yahoo IM, MSN, ICQ etc) or Telephone Line and receive an instant answer/solution so you could carry on working?

I'd have to point out that we're really not thinking of introducing such a service at the moment but I would like to find out your comments.

Would you be willing to pay for such a service on a per-question basis or would you prefer to pay a monthly fee on top of any other services you had from Freeola?

Danny
Sun 09/06/02 at 11:13
Regular
"Fruit makes you far"
If you were trying to put a web site together and found yourself with a problem (say in PHP, HTML, MYSQL etc) that you couldn't resolve, how useful would a service be to you where you could contact a PHP expert via an Instant Messaging client (say Yahoo IM, MSN, ICQ etc) or Telephone Line and receive an instant answer/solution so you could carry on working?

I'd have to point out that we're really not thinking of introducing such a service at the moment but I would like to find out your comments.

Would you be willing to pay for such a service on a per-question basis or would you prefer to pay a monthly fee on top of any other services you had from Freeola?

Danny
Sun 09/06/02 at 11:38
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
No offence - but I doubt this is a good idea. The only way to learn programming is either from tutorials or from example. Asking for help rarely helps, and you can also get free help from this forum...
Sun 09/06/02 at 12:32
i was gonna say, surely thats what this forum is for.... we all help each other...
Sun 09/06/02 at 13:14
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Its a nice idea, but I don't think I would uses a service as such, but if you were to maybe create a Sub-Web Site for it under Freeola..... oh wait, better still, go back to your PHP Support page and update this more often with little scripts for people????

What about pre-insalled scripts like some other hosts do??? Maybe you could charge a one of fee of£5 or something for an array of Scripts in PHP/CGI for users to use on their Space?
Mon 10/06/02 at 09:23
I think it is a great idea that Microsoft should implement immediately :)
Mon 10/06/02 at 09:37
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Any coding help is always a bonus...

Though I've found from the Java site that having specific discussion threads is always usful, since it allows me to search through to find other solutions to problems I have, but for which there are no solutions in the Java texts (sometimes the text may be a little hard to find, and there may be someone to help point me in the right direction)

Accompanying... how about a more open chat room environment, where people can come on and can discuss problems with operators and/or other coders? ... Then there would always be the option of public and private messaging?
Mon 10/06/02 at 09:46
Regular
".......on the attac"
I think a specially set up forum would be better. Seeing as though many of the posters here are in education perhaps a few programming help forums would be a a good idea. Then both the staff and customers could help with any problems.
Mon 10/06/02 at 09:47
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Like this Forum does now :o)
Mon 10/06/02 at 10:06
Regular
".......on the attac"
cjh wrote:
> Like this Forum does now :o)

Sorry, what I meant was a specific programming forum which covers everything like C, C++, VB etc as well as the web design forum.

You're right though, this doesn't really get used for those specific topics, does it?
Mon 10/06/02 at 10:44
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Oh right, get ya' :o)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.