GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"If you've read a book in the last week..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/06/02 at 20:56
Regular
...what was it? Was it any good? Would you recommend it?

I've recently finnished "The Day of the Triffids"- a Science Fiction syle novel telling the story of the suvival of the human race following a catastrophic disaster that has left most people blind. Just to make matters worse, there are poissonous plants with limitted intelligence that seem to hunt the people left...

The book was a good casual read- not too long, daunting or complex, but still interesting enough to keep you coming back. Some, more cultured (or well read) people may find the book too simple in places- the emotions of the character are never really apparant, and the theme of the book is more linear than thought provoking. That said, there are some refreshing ideas in the book that, although no wehere near an Orwellian style of writing, do question modern society.

So, certainly a book for the casual reader, and people into semi-fictional ideas. Perhaps not one for the conoseurs.

Sonic
Sun 18/08/02 at 15:11
Regular
Oh, and I've just finished reading A Road To McCarthy, by Paul McCarthy. Bill Bryon-esque travel writings, just not based on a particular country. He wonders around the world tracing his clan. Really funny.
Sun 18/08/02 at 15:09
Regular
A K-Pax II, eh? I loved K-Pax, thought Spacey rocked. Didn't know it was a book first. So does K-Pax II tell if Prot is in fact an alien pocessing Kevin Spacey, or just some nutcase?
Sun 18/08/02 at 13:51
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Oh, as well as The Catcher In The Rye (I didn't 'get it'), and K-PAX II (which is a cash in. Good, but still a cash in).
Sun 18/08/02 at 13:50
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
In the last week...

Adrian Mole:From Minor To Major (Rubbish and depressing)

No Logo - Naomi Klein (Utterly fantastic analysis of corporations)

Popcorn - Ben Elton (rips off Natural Born Killers, and is rubbish apart from the ending)

Born Free - Laura Hird (About a family that completely fals apart. Good, but depressing)

Heavier Than Heaven - Charles R Cross (Kurt Cobain autobiography. Exactly what you would expect - just proves how messed up Cobain was)
Wed 31/07/02 at 21:44
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Finally read another book...

Despite never having seen or read 2001:Space Oddysee, I read 2010:Oddysee 2. It was so good that I've got the first book now, and I plan to read all 4 books in the trilogy.

Which prompts be to ask why so many trilogies have 4 books? The Lord of the rings has 4 books (The hobbit is the prequal), The hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy actually says "Trilogy of 4 books" on the back (but I had heard that there's a 5th?), and I'm sure there are other examples!
Fri 05/07/02 at 08:59
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
I couldn't finish the third one it went on too long and I found it really dull. Just my opinion so feel free to disagree
Thu 04/07/02 at 23:52
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I've read it countless times.

It still manages to surprise, scare and interest me.
Thu 04/07/02 at 23:45
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Cyclone wrote:
> Quality book.

Yeah i love the trilogy, ive read it twice now, it keeps getting better.
Thu 04/07/02 at 23:44
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Quality book.
Thu 04/07/02 at 23:36
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Im probably going to read the fellowship of the ring this week.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.