GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"If Nintendo and Microsoft left..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/06/02 at 12:51
Regular
If they both gave up making consoles then it would be rather bad news!

Just think of it, with no other competition on the market, Sony would have a monopoly in the games market.

No competition against them would result in prices being higher, Sony wanting to charge as high a price as they could as they were the only choice that people had.

We need Nintendo and Microsoft to stay in the market for our sakes, we don't want to pay these massive prices...

So for once, there is a use for Microsoft being in the games industry!
Sun 09/06/02 at 19:44
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
AfroJoe wrote:
> If Microsoft and Nintendo left then Sony could also get quite
> sloppy.
>
> There'd be no competition for them so they wouldn't try and make the
> games any good any more.
>
1) Sony don't make games
2) The companies who do make games would have MORE competition on the Sony platform (as it would be the only one), meaning better games!
3) Why would developers not want to make games good? Do they not want people to buy them or something?

> The prices may also rise too.
>
See Mr. Happy's post. The point is that, if Sony made the price rise, then another competitor, like MS, would think "Ah! They're making loads of money from this... but we can do the same thing for cheaper!". They would have to keep the price low (and if you read Happy's post, they'd probably lower prices), to avoid allowing easy entry into the market for competition.

> We need multiple gaming companies in the market.

By "companies" I assume you mean manufacturers. And yes, we do, but not for the reasons you give! We need them to invest in smaller developers, giving their console an edge. We need them to drive forwards the development of consoles (online games etc). We don't need them for keeping prices low.

Sonic
Sun 09/06/02 at 18:26
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I got Economics AS on Tuesday, I am gonna fail, I dunno why I took it!!!

Looks like Brad also did Economics, Economies of Scale is like the only thing I know well, probably because it is the easiest!
Sun 09/06/02 at 18:16
Regular
"ProGolfer"
fosbe wrote:
> How many topics do you make a week that have no point? So far i have
> counted 3 and i think i mist a few. Why do you make all these topics?

*slaps forhead*

Wrong screen and in the wrong message.
Sun 09/06/02 at 18:15
Regular
"ProGolfer"
How many topics do you make a week that have no point? So far i have counted 3 and i think i mist a few. Why do you make all these topics?
Sun 09/06/02 at 17:36
Regular
"Selected"
ditto with Physics for me.
Sun 09/06/02 at 17:30
i may drop economics, its boring
Sun 09/06/02 at 17:29
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Nope I've got a UK economy module on Tuesday, A2, oh joy :-)
Sun 09/06/02 at 17:28
Regular
"Selected"
Mr. Happy wrote:
> I'm currently revising economics... so I can now delude myself that
> coming on the forums really is revising :-)

What a brilliant excuse. In that case, can we talk Biology?
Sun 09/06/02 at 17:25
Ah i'm doing economics AS too. You got your exam wednesday, or is it tuesday? The old microsoft as a monopoly, everyone must have studied that
Sun 09/06/02 at 17:19
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Point taken, but you can't compare consoles to operating systems, because arguably the Microsoft monopoly has benefitted the computer market by providing a universal format. So maybe experienced users prefer Linux but I can't see my Mum working out how to get it going.

Also the point of a contestable market is that it doesn't matter about the number of firms in the market, barriers to entry are pivotal. And while there clearly are barriers to entry in developing and marketing a console, to companies like Microsoft the barrier is relatively small. Obviously you won't get someone like Tandy diving in with its own console, but that's not exactly a great loss.

With Microsoft around I'd say that the console market is contestable, I'd be more worried if Microsoft were the aonly manufacturer as if there's one man that knows how to exploit a monopoly position it's Bill Gates.

I'm currently revising economics... so I can now delude myself that coming on the forums really is revising :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.