GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo vs Sony"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/06/02 at 09:27
Regular
With the Playstation, Sony managed to pretty much conquer the gaming world due to the relatively cheap and mass-market appeal of both the console and the games. The N64 on the other hand suffered due to expensive games and what sometimes seemed to be a complete lack of thought about the promotion of these games in the West.

However, I reckon things are now changing. Nintendo seem to have changed their approach to how they promote their products in the West. A few days before the X-box came out I went into my local Argos store to see how much they were going to be selling the X-boaxes for. I was amazed firstly to see NO promotion of the X-box at all (staff had never heard of it), but the most amazing thing was that there were large placards advertising the then forthcoming Gamecube all around the store! Nintendo seem to have been pulling out all the stops to promote and popularise the Gamecube, much more than they did with the N64.

Do people think that this approach is working? And in time will the Gamecube reach the masses like the Playstation did?

...And would this be a good thing or a bad thing for us Nintendo gamers?

I'd be interested to know what people think.

Cheers,

Paul Harries
[email protected]
Fri 07/06/02 at 21:53
Regular
"Selected"
I think the new Nintendo technique has worked a charm. But then, posting on the Nintendo forum you were bound to get a biased view I guess. As for the Nintendo reaching the masses. Well, I think Nintendo won't be as big as the Playstation. This isn't necessarily a bad thing from a customers point of view - in an attempt to be as big we might see Nintendo reduce prices further. On a more personal note, I don't care to much for the business side - I'm just glad that quality games will still be available as long as the gamecube is around.
Fri 07/06/02 at 09:27
With the Playstation, Sony managed to pretty much conquer the gaming world due to the relatively cheap and mass-market appeal of both the console and the games. The N64 on the other hand suffered due to expensive games and what sometimes seemed to be a complete lack of thought about the promotion of these games in the West.

However, I reckon things are now changing. Nintendo seem to have changed their approach to how they promote their products in the West. A few days before the X-box came out I went into my local Argos store to see how much they were going to be selling the X-boaxes for. I was amazed firstly to see NO promotion of the X-box at all (staff had never heard of it), but the most amazing thing was that there were large placards advertising the then forthcoming Gamecube all around the store! Nintendo seem to have been pulling out all the stops to promote and popularise the Gamecube, much more than they did with the N64.

Do people think that this approach is working? And in time will the Gamecube reach the masses like the Playstation did?

...And would this be a good thing or a bad thing for us Nintendo gamers?

I'd be interested to know what people think.

Cheers,

Paul Harries
[email protected]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.