GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Next Generation Console… Last Generation Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/06/02 at 19:25
Regular
With all the next gen (should that be current gen?) machines having FINALLY been released here in the UK, and with our grubby mitts all now permanently attached to the controller of our choice as we plow though the consoles release titles, it may have escaped out attention that we seem to be playing a lot of the same old games.

To be fair these are the release titles, the first gen games released for the console. Developers are still figuring out what they can and cant do with the system, and it will take a little time for them to start pushing the machine for all its worth.

Then again, these are machines that have been readily available in one country or another for 6+ months already.

Maybe the problem isn’t that developers aren’t able to produce suitable next gen games to go with our next gen machines… maybe its that designers aren’t giving them any next gen games to develop?

Though there are teams out there who are, very obviously, developing the future of gaming, Rock Star with their GTA3, Peter Molyneux with Black and White (which, although seemed to produce a love or hate reaction, did undeniably push the boundaries for all future game production), etc..

They are unfortunately, not only few and far between, but getting fewer and farther all the time.

Maybe the problem isn’t the designers, maybe the guilt lies with Nintendo, Sony, MS even SEGA. In the past, their main strategy, it seems, in their push to receive continued interest from the games buying public, and to further their share of the console market was to release another system, faster, louder, more colourful.

Which is cool.

The downside being that developers don’t get a chance to explore the new machines, by the time they’ve churned out enough of their franchise titles to allow them to try an experiment, its time to learn the next console. The result being that we, the consumers are playing Playstation titles with shinier graphics.

Whatever the reason, are games REALLY developing or are we, by and large, being duped into buying the same product again and again, with a higher price tag, shinier packaging and a different logo?
Sun 09/06/02 at 09:02
Regular
I think that you are right in some respect, as some games aren't using the full potential of the consoles, but I think it is unfair to say that games like Rogue Leader and SSBM haven't used the Gmaecube top it's fullest potential. Same goes for Final Fantasy on the PS2.
Fri 07/06/02 at 19:16
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Liquid H˛O wrote:

> But if you are saying that with the next-gen consoles out, all the
> games should also be totally original, then it's not going to happen.
> Really, when a new console comes out, apart from maybe DVD
> capibilities, all that has changed is the graphics and the processor.
> Which basically means that the same kind of games are going to come
> out, but with enhanced graphics.

No, I'm not saying that all games should be completly original, but that games arn't using the potential of the machine. That machines with increased specs are being released to pump up sales, but that games arnt taking advantage of the increased power. Advancment is being forced upon us instead of moving up when increased spec offers a genuine advancement?
Thu 06/06/02 at 22:43
Regular
"ProGolfer"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> I too have been saying that developers seem to have got complacent.
> Sure they're using better graphics, and nicer sounds... some are even
> using more FMV sequences. But very few are really USING the new
> features of the consoles.
>
> Prime examples are the GC/GBA linkup, which no one has used, and MS's
> harddrive which I'm sure has a lot of potential. The only real bit of
> progress is the VMU on the DC that was used both to convey
> "secret" info to the player in some games, and as a handheld
> console that could unlock parts of the game (notably, raising Chao's
> in Sonic)....
>
> Sonic

I agree if ms were to use there hard drive and there internet capabilities they could make it so you can download 10mb games, or if you own broadband demos. This would make the xbox more appealing, which i think they should be doing as they need to do everything possible at the moment to push sales along.
Thu 06/06/02 at 20:52
Regular
I think that with everyone going on about games lacking creativity, games developers have to do a lot to make a game that lives up to the standards of most gamers. But the thing that annoys me, is that games like FIFA and Tomb Raider always get to noumber 1 in the game charts. Why? Because people buy them. So if there is a demand for them and developers know they are going to make money over them, hey are going to make a sequel and get a load more cash.

But if you are saying that with the next-gen consoles out, all the games should also be totally original, then it's not going to happen. Really, when a new console comes out, apart from maybe DVD capibilities, all that has changed is the graphics and the processor. Which basically means that the same kind of games are going to come out, but with enhanced graphics.

But there is a ray of hope. And it's called Nintendo. They have tried to come up with new original ideas. For instance Pikmin. A totally new concept and it is 100% original.

So, I think that if you are saying that new games should be coming out, that are totally original because a new console is out then you are wrong. Take Gotham Street Racing for example. That is basically MSR on the Deamcast but the graphics have got better.
Thu 06/06/02 at 19:41
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I too have been saying that developers seem to have got complacent. Sure they're using better graphics, and nicer sounds... some are even using more FMV sequences. But very few are really USING the new features of the consoles.

Prime examples are the GC/GBA linkup, which no one has used, and MS's harddrive which I'm sure has a lot of potential. The only real bit of progress is the VMU on the DC that was used both to convey "secret" info to the player in some games, and as a handheld console that could unlock parts of the game (notably, raising Chao's in Sonic)....

Sonic
Thu 06/06/02 at 19:25
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
With all the next gen (should that be current gen?) machines having FINALLY been released here in the UK, and with our grubby mitts all now permanently attached to the controller of our choice as we plow though the consoles release titles, it may have escaped out attention that we seem to be playing a lot of the same old games.

To be fair these are the release titles, the first gen games released for the console. Developers are still figuring out what they can and cant do with the system, and it will take a little time for them to start pushing the machine for all its worth.

Then again, these are machines that have been readily available in one country or another for 6+ months already.

Maybe the problem isn’t that developers aren’t able to produce suitable next gen games to go with our next gen machines… maybe its that designers aren’t giving them any next gen games to develop?

Though there are teams out there who are, very obviously, developing the future of gaming, Rock Star with their GTA3, Peter Molyneux with Black and White (which, although seemed to produce a love or hate reaction, did undeniably push the boundaries for all future game production), etc..

They are unfortunately, not only few and far between, but getting fewer and farther all the time.

Maybe the problem isn’t the designers, maybe the guilt lies with Nintendo, Sony, MS even SEGA. In the past, their main strategy, it seems, in their push to receive continued interest from the games buying public, and to further their share of the console market was to release another system, faster, louder, more colourful.

Which is cool.

The downside being that developers don’t get a chance to explore the new machines, by the time they’ve churned out enough of their franchise titles to allow them to try an experiment, its time to learn the next console. The result being that we, the consumers are playing Playstation titles with shinier graphics.

Whatever the reason, are games REALLY developing or are we, by and large, being duped into buying the same product again and again, with a higher price tag, shinier packaging and a different logo?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.