GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SEO - HTML Obfustication, help or hinderance?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 20/03/08 at 21:42
one of my freeola hosted sites googles around 1 or 2 on the first page for my chosen keywords, sometimes 2 and 3 instead or as well.

just to hinder a new to the business upstart who keeps copying my source code, if I were to obfusticate (Scramble) the HTML, would this harm my search engine visibility?

Moonshine Framing, Penzance
Fri 21/03/08 at 23:51
Thank you for the advice, thats a very good article (and forum - I'll look in on there again)!

and thanks for the link fix Digi.
Fri 21/03/08 at 10:46
"Are you sure?"
Hi mooshine,
I wouldn't obfusticate your code if I were you. It won't stop someone from copying your code and it will only make things harder for you to maintain. It certainly won't 'help' your SE placing, but may not damage it.

Is the problem because people are copying your 'code' or your 'content'? If it's your actual content then are you able to write a polite email/letter requesting they stop?! Once they realise you are aware of them stealing your content that may be enough.
Then if that doesn't get you anywhere you may have to get more serious. Here's an article that has lots of helpful info/links.

Let us know how you get on.

Search Freeola Chat
Fri 21/03/08 at 08:41
Regular
you should feel happy that he is copying your code! thats a sign that what you have done is brilliant, I had a similar problem but since i started using CSS they either gave up or couldnt work out how the code works :0 problem solved - you could put a disclaimer on your site that this is the real site and to avoid cheap imitations! - a direct hit at your opposition - he would soon get the message

Digi

PS a sorted your link as it was not working correctly (page not found)
Thu 20/03/08 at 21:42
one of my freeola hosted sites googles around 1 or 2 on the first page for my chosen keywords, sometimes 2 and 3 instead or as well.

just to hinder a new to the business upstart who keeps copying my source code, if I were to obfusticate (Scramble) the HTML, would this harm my search engine visibility?

Moonshine Framing, Penzance

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.