GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Butt looks set to replace Vassell"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/06/02 at 11:25
Regular
Taken from ntl:home.

Sven-Goran Eriksson has indicated he is planning to make one change for the game against Argentina, with Nicky Butt returning to the side.

Rather than replacing Owen Hargreaves, or shifting to a 4-3-3 formation, the England coach seems set to drop Darius Vassell.

Paul Scholes would move out to the left flank and Emile Heskey would be pushed up front.

Eriksson hinted at such changes in training this week

Meanwhile David Beckham made it clear England had never intended to revert to the long-ball game against Sweden.

"We realised we were playing long balls. We've had meetings about it and we can't understand why we did it as it's not how we play. It was frustrating but hopefully it won't happen again," he declared.

"The manager hasn't told us to play long balls. It's just us as players. Even I was doing it at times. It was frustrating as we played some great football in the first-half."

His own match-fitness is likely to prove a key factor to England's chances.

"I expected to last 90 minutes in that last match and obviously didn't, but I am expecting to on Friday," he insisted, although he was similarly confident last week.

"I could probably get by on 95 per cent and I feel 95 per cent now. My lungs and legs disappeared on me then but the five days have done a lot of good."

What do you lot think on the matter? please discuss.

Thanks, Totti.
Thu 06/06/02 at 11:25
Regular
"England skipper"
Taken from ntl:home.

Sven-Goran Eriksson has indicated he is planning to make one change for the game against Argentina, with Nicky Butt returning to the side.

Rather than replacing Owen Hargreaves, or shifting to a 4-3-3 formation, the England coach seems set to drop Darius Vassell.

Paul Scholes would move out to the left flank and Emile Heskey would be pushed up front.

Eriksson hinted at such changes in training this week

Meanwhile David Beckham made it clear England had never intended to revert to the long-ball game against Sweden.

"We realised we were playing long balls. We've had meetings about it and we can't understand why we did it as it's not how we play. It was frustrating but hopefully it won't happen again," he declared.

"The manager hasn't told us to play long balls. It's just us as players. Even I was doing it at times. It was frustrating as we played some great football in the first-half."

His own match-fitness is likely to prove a key factor to England's chances.

"I expected to last 90 minutes in that last match and obviously didn't, but I am expecting to on Friday," he insisted, although he was similarly confident last week.

"I could probably get by on 95 per cent and I feel 95 per cent now. My lungs and legs disappeared on me then but the five days have done a lot of good."

What do you lot think on the matter? please discuss.

Thanks, Totti.
Thu 06/06/02 at 11:29
Regular
"not dead"
Scholes on the left doesn't seen like a good idea to be.

I can see why he's going to go for Heskey up front though.

Whatever the team, it's the performance that matters, and I think a change of attitude is more important than a change of players.
Thu 06/06/02 at 11:35
"Darkness, always"
Scholes on the left....

we are so going to lose this game.
Thu 06/06/02 at 11:36
Regular
"I love Dave music"
England should have brought Butt on in the last game. When Beckham came off they should have brought him on and moved Hargreaves out to the right.

Anyway, I think this is a good move, having three out of four Man U players in the middle can only help matters, and Hargreaves is a good player too. Hopefully now they will stop playing those stupid long balls all game.

Bit disappointed that Vassell got dropped, I thought he was the best forward against Sweden, but lets give Heskey another go. At least he does work well with Owen.

COME ON ENGLAND!!
Thu 06/06/02 at 11:37
Regular
"I love Dave music"
Scholes won't play on the left, they will play a narrow four, if anything he might be given a free role with Becks, Butt and Hargreaves forming a midfield three, and Scholes playing a link role. He *won't* be playing as a winger!
Thu 06/06/02 at 13:13
Pushing Heskey up front, good idea. I think that he can bully the Argentine defenders.

As for Scholes on the wing, surely Hargreaves would be better playing there. He seems a little more versatile.
Thu 06/06/02 at 13:17
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Great! Butt is just the type of player we need in the midfield - and I still don't see why he wasn't chose for the Sweden game!

He's a great defensive midielder - a type of player everyone needs in the centre of their midfield.
We lost so poorly to Sweden as we lost it in midfield so many times!
We only had 4 attacking players there - big mistake!!

I'd also choose Heskey over Vassel - mainly due to experience and power.
Owen also has to play for the same reason, but Vassel could have a good impact if he comes on later.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.