GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Now what's the best joypad ever......."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/06/02 at 10:54
Regular
What's your favourite joypad?
Thinking back through PS2,DC,N64,PSX,Saturn and SNES to my Megadrive, i came to one conclusion....I haven't really liked ANY of Sega's joypads...The Megadrive one was tough but uncomfortable, the Saturn one was ugly and cheap (but good for beat 'em ups), and despite all the cleverness of the VMU and the analogue triggers, the DC one makes my hands ache during prolonged use.

The Nintendo ones have been a little bit better in my opinion...The SNES one was small and responsive, and very reliable too, but it felt like a toy....The N64 one was of course the first analogue joypad,and was of course vital for Miyamoto's seminal Mario 64.
I didn't think it was sensitive enough, or perhaps i mean it was too sensitive,(too much on-screen response to joypad input)- I never really liked the design, it always felt like you were stretching your left thumb and under-using your right hand....I never had one break, but they always 'felt' cheap.

The basic Playstation controller always felt like a Sony product should - well made and solid.
The dual analogue addition was inevitable, and the first time i tried it,(on F1 97 i think) -i wished i could use it on my N64...
The 'rumble' feature was left out of early models because Nintendo claimed to have the copyright on vibrating joypads, until someone pointed out that theirs needed a plug-in 'Rumble Pack' and Sony's had the vibration motors (2 of 'em) built-in....
After the legal battle with Nintendo was sorted out the proper Dual Shock arrived alongside Gran Turismo and i think i realised then that Sony had produced just about as responsive and intuitive controller as it was possible to do.
It's no wonder they hardly changed it at all for the PS2's DS2...Added analogue sensitivity to all buttons and made the sticks a little more resistant....Ergonomically Perfect. (IMO).

And to the future....the GC one looks like it's been made up of spare parts, and why are the thumbsticks staggered?
I'm sure it will work fine...
And the X-Box one looks like the hell child of a DC pad and a 3rd party PSX one (With a 'nice' snot green badge on).
There's of course no way that a joypad will ever be as good as M&K for FPS, but i hope someone designs something to replace the keyboard, enabling you to sit on your sofa and play a FPS on a console the 'proper' way, with a optical mouse and mini keyboard perhaps?
Thu 06/06/02 at 15:55
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Solskjær wrote:
>> And I thought the Saturn had the first Analogue Stick, Cyclone??

Okay, okay - The first analogue controller that was any good and came with a good console!

;-)
Thu 06/06/02 at 14:41
Regular
1) The Gamecube
2) The N64
3) The Dreamcast
4) The SNES

The worst is most definatly the Playstation's, it makes me sick.
Thu 06/06/02 at 14:10
Regular
"¬_¬"
The PS2 controller is alright for 'casual' gaming, but it doesn't support all your fingers - when you have your index and middle fingers on the shoulder buttons it feels as though the controller is slipping out of your hands. Added to that, its not ver ergonomically designed - the D-pad is where the Joystick should be. The good thing is that its not the wrong shape - it may not be the most ergonomical but obviously Sony can understand that its a great design anyway - hence keeping it the same for the PS2.

The GameCube controller is good because the joystick is in the right position, the handles on the side are just right and its made so that its comfortable when your fingers are on the trigger. The big A button is good because many games only use the other buttons for small things like the map or changing weapons etc. I think the GameCube controller is the best of the lot because it is just right for me. If you think its a bad design when you try, try holding it with your index fingers where they're meant to be - on the triggers - rather than like the PS2 controller just holding it.

There isn't anything wrong with the Xbox controller - its perfectly fine, and claims that its too big are a bit unfounded, but I agree with them slightly - the buttons take up a tiny amount of the controller and consequently you feel as though your just holding a great chunk of plastic, since its so light in weight. Also, the rumble function is very loud.

Out of them , I like the GameCube controller the most, but the 'best joypad' always has to depend on the size of your hand. If your a beast of a man, you're unlikely to be comfortable with the GC controller or PS2, whereas if you have tiny hands you'll probably like the GC controller.

It also depends on how you hold them. I rarely hold my PS2 controller with both fingers on the shoulder buttons, but always hold my GC and Xbox controllers with my fingers on the shoulder buttons. Hopefully Sony will change their joypad design with their next console, because I feel the joysticks still are just 'add-ons' to the proper controller.
Thu 06/06/02 at 13:44
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
I like the PS2 bad best, It may not be pretty but it certainly does the job well and it is still comfy after hours of playing. The X-Box (and Game-cube) pads are a bit too chunky for my little hands. So for girls PS2 pads are best. But then again my boyf always complains cause they are too small for him, so you can't win.
Thu 06/06/02 at 13:38
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I haven't held a Cube pad yet so I can't comment on it.
Up 'till now, the N64's one is my favourite.
I've also held the Dreamcast one and that is quite good.
I don't like the Sony ones though. :S
Although I found the Gamester PS pad more comfortable than the official one.

And I thought the Saturn had the first Analogue Stick, Cyclone??
Thu 06/06/02 at 13:35
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
My favourite is the gamecube, the layout is nice and intuitive. And the prongs are the perfect size for my hands.
Thu 06/06/02 at 13:28
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Ermmm.....

1)Gamecube - I was playing without even realising I had the pad in my hands
2. N64 - The first analogue, and a damn fine controller
3. PS2 - Un-imaginative, but useful
4. SNES - A little block, but it was a great controller
Thu 06/06/02 at 11:36
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
When I first got my Xbox I was very disturbed by the size of the pad and I found it difficult to use, as I had to keep look down. However I have got use to it and find it disturbingly comfortable and easy to use.
Thu 06/06/02 at 11:07
Regular
"\\"
well thats one big post for a 'just arrived' but anyway..
psx controllers where the best controllers to get used to fast ive usedx x box a few times and im still looking where i push buttons ps2 just have the best ever and n 64 kinda take a while to get used to and n64 dont half make my hands sweat so heres my top 10 controllers

1. PS2
2. PSX Anolog
3. PSX (Original)
4. N64
5. MEGA DRIVE
6. GAME CUBE
7. X BOX
8. DREAMCAST
9. SEGA SATURN
10. SNES

ANYONE ELSE JUST SUCKS
Thu 06/06/02 at 10:54
What's your favourite joypad?
Thinking back through PS2,DC,N64,PSX,Saturn and SNES to my Megadrive, i came to one conclusion....I haven't really liked ANY of Sega's joypads...The Megadrive one was tough but uncomfortable, the Saturn one was ugly and cheap (but good for beat 'em ups), and despite all the cleverness of the VMU and the analogue triggers, the DC one makes my hands ache during prolonged use.

The Nintendo ones have been a little bit better in my opinion...The SNES one was small and responsive, and very reliable too, but it felt like a toy....The N64 one was of course the first analogue joypad,and was of course vital for Miyamoto's seminal Mario 64.
I didn't think it was sensitive enough, or perhaps i mean it was too sensitive,(too much on-screen response to joypad input)- I never really liked the design, it always felt like you were stretching your left thumb and under-using your right hand....I never had one break, but they always 'felt' cheap.

The basic Playstation controller always felt like a Sony product should - well made and solid.
The dual analogue addition was inevitable, and the first time i tried it,(on F1 97 i think) -i wished i could use it on my N64...
The 'rumble' feature was left out of early models because Nintendo claimed to have the copyright on vibrating joypads, until someone pointed out that theirs needed a plug-in 'Rumble Pack' and Sony's had the vibration motors (2 of 'em) built-in....
After the legal battle with Nintendo was sorted out the proper Dual Shock arrived alongside Gran Turismo and i think i realised then that Sony had produced just about as responsive and intuitive controller as it was possible to do.
It's no wonder they hardly changed it at all for the PS2's DS2...Added analogue sensitivity to all buttons and made the sticks a little more resistant....Ergonomically Perfect. (IMO).

And to the future....the GC one looks like it's been made up of spare parts, and why are the thumbsticks staggered?
I'm sure it will work fine...
And the X-Box one looks like the hell child of a DC pad and a 3rd party PSX one (With a 'nice' snot green badge on).
There's of course no way that a joypad will ever be as good as M&K for FPS, but i hope someone designs something to replace the keyboard, enabling you to sit on your sofa and play a FPS on a console the 'proper' way, with a optical mouse and mini keyboard perhaps?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.