GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So I've registered my intrest in..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 20/03/08 at 11:27
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
...a plumbing course and about to register one in an electrician course.

Don't know how much is going to cost and if it's feasable, but I need a career (and fast).

Plus can't think of a much better one than a skilled tradesman that works for himself.

Anybody else had any experience with online courses?
Thu 20/03/08 at 11:27
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
...a plumbing course and about to register one in an electrician course.

Don't know how much is going to cost and if it's feasable, but I need a career (and fast).

Plus can't think of a much better one than a skilled tradesman that works for himself.

Anybody else had any experience with online courses?
Mon 31/03/08 at 14:34
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
...and they've only just gotten back to me.

Tried to force me with a home visit for discussion about the course (although completely skipped around the answer when I asked how long the course was and how much it was going to cost).

Called them back to confirm and said I was unable for the home visit, she quiclkly ended the call! Think she's having a bad day at the office!
Mon 31/03/08 at 15:49
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I suspect its like learndirect etc.. The courses cost thousands so the only way anybody is going to be able to do them is via loans or grants. Naturally people are reticent so they want to send around a salesman to talk you into signing up. And to convince that the huge loan you're about to take out is really a good idea and nothing to worry about at all.

I'd have thought for plumber/electrician that apprenticeship was the way to go anyway as there is much more financial support available.
Mon 31/03/08 at 16:09
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I actually think that may be my way forward if I do decide to follow this path.

Quite an amusing phone call though
Mon 31/03/08 at 17:40
"Was the man of marz"
Garin wrote:
> I'd have thought for plumber/electrician that apprenticeship was
> the way to go anyway as there is much more financial support
> available.

I found 'modern apprenticeships' to be complete crap, so went to college with the same idea as hippyman in finding a trade, and found it just as infuriating. Maybe the motor industry is unproportionally apathetic, but the electronics department was run along side, and it seemed to have the same amount of stupidity (which is a concern when you consider you are working with power tools and/or mains electricity).

As for plumbing, I do know people who have completed quick courses, and gone on to find work, but there isn’t the ludicrous amount of money in it like when there was a shortage of plumbers a while back. I do think having a trade is a good idea, just carefully think over what you could stand doing, and avoid crappy courses as Garin suggested.
Mon 31/03/08 at 19:03
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Thanks Marzman, so many things offering a chance to me, but soon as they said a home visit, I was instantly tuned in to expect a high pressure sales pitch.

The lady on the phone didn't try too hard as I said I had a sales background and gave a salesperson's nightmare rally of difficult answers to their questions. I know it's their job, so I'm patient and will listen, but at the same time, stood my ground and told them to give me the answers to my questions before I'd consider it.

Just a bit lost on the work front at the moment, but I'm sure I'll fall into something soon.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.