GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BEHIND THE GAMING: Mario - Tears of a Plumber"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/06/02 at 17:31
Regular
Tonight, on VH-1’s “Behind The Gaming”, we have this heart-wrenching tale of the greatest platform character ever’s fall from grace.

“MARIO: TEARS OF A PLUMBER”

Miyamoto: “I had known Mario since I can remember...he was at some conference or other about plumber’s rights. I just happened to be wandering past there, and came across this Italian boy. Of course, as soon as I set eyes upon him I knew that he’d be huge video-game stars.”

Mario was offered a job at Nintendo doing basic paperwork...but that was just the start. Within weeks, the two were invited to a video-game audition.

Rayman: “Haw-he-haw, yez, I werz auditioning for zee part, but zey waz not lookeen for a Freyunch charekter, mooch lezz wun wizz no limmz...however, I did zee zizz Italian boy...”

*clip of Mario reading lines, grabbing coins and jumping on small brown goblins at the audition*

Mario won acclaim for his work in the game, and the ball was rolling. More games following, starring opposite such stars as Donkey Kong, and long-time girlfriend Princess Peach.

Peach: “Yes, when I met Mario I was immediately attracted to his shortness, stubbyness and bushy moustache.”

Mario: “Obviously-a, it was-a an honour to be in a game with that crazy ape, ahahaha-a...but I did not know-a how lucky I was-a to be near Peach until it was too-a late.”

Peach: “After that first game, I knew he was the one for me...but Mario did not seem as interested. The way he distanced himself from everybody...I was soon finding myself not loving him, but loathing him. I only later found out about the drugs...”

*commercials*

Mario: “I...had-a, a problem-o.”

After his third game, Mario had some serious injuries as a result of falling off of platforms. He received some medical attention, and was put on painkillers.

Mario’s Doctor: “Yes, he wasn’t responding to the treatment so I put him on the drugs. Given the opportunity, I would do it again; I did nothing wrong.”

The pills had an adverse affect...

Peach: “He started turning up for work late, with bloodshot eyes and an awful temper. He hadn’t shaved in days...his moustache was twice the width of his whole face.”

The pills were making the pain worse, not better. The doctors went back to the drawing board, and there were only two solutions...

Mario: “They-a said to me-a...”

Doctor: “...’You have to stop being in games.’ I said that to his face.”

Mario: “I was-a crushed. I was desperate-a for an alternative...”

Doctor: “There was no other choice...he wouldn’t back down.”

Mario: “Games were-a my life...the parties-a...the money...I was not about to-a give it up.”

The pain was never letting up, though. Hours and hours of making games put real strain on every inch of Mario’s body.

Mario: “So-a, the doc, he comes in one day and he says they’re-a gonna give-a me some morphine.”

That was just the start.

*commercials*

Production was just starting on Super Mario World.

Miyamoto: “Yes, this was my baby. My favourite project for a long time; it was going to be an epic, and I wanted Mario centre stage. So I ask him, ‘can you do this for me Mario?’ And you know what he say? He say he never let me down...and he didn’t.”

Doctor: “So, for about a week, we gave him very small doses of the drugs, and he was fine. We didn’t want to get him hooked, so we kept it to minimal doses...but then one day, he bursts in and says...”

Mario: “..the morphine. I need-a the morphine, now.”

Doctor: “So of course, I ask him why and he says he has a new job. An important one. I shook my head, and told him he needed to rest, to let the drug take it’s course...”

Mario: “But I was going to be in the game-a. It was-a Super MARIO World-a, and I was-a not to let Miyamoto down-a, not after-a what he did for me.”

On the first day of shooting the action sequences, Mario was buzzing.

Production Crew Member: “Yeah, I saw ‘im. All smiles, ‘e was. Joking about, really buzzin’. He was running around crazy, like he had too much energy to burn off...”

Luigi: “Yeah, after-a the shooting he buy-a us all-a the drinks we like-a. It-a not like Mario, he seemed...different.”

Of course, he was different. Against doctor’s orders, Mario had taken a stronger dose of morphine.

Miyamoto: “Naturally, when we get to the later levels, Mario is having to do harder stunts, push himself even harder.”

Doctor: “I did not see Mario for weeks on end. When I would try and contact him, all I would speak to is his answering machine.”

Miyamoto: “One Friday, he did not turn up for shooting...now, this very unlike Mario. He usually very prompt...”

It would later transpire that Mario had taken three days’ worth of extra-strength morphine injections in one session.

Luigi: “So, I knock on the-a door and no sound, so I use-a my extra key and go inside. What do I see-a, but my brother lying on the floor, surrounded by needles. His-a gloves, they are-a turned purple, and his face is-a covered with drool. To say-a the least, I was shocked-o...but I-a managed to phone-a 9-a-1-1.”

Mario was rushed to hospital, in a serious condition.

Miyamoto: “Of course, this meant we had to delay the game. Thousands of disgruntled fans moaned about it, but nothing was more important than the safety of Mario.”

Mario died twice on that trip in an ambulance.

Doctor: “It was a miracle he was ever able to speak again, let alone get back into videogaming...”

Luigi stepped into the limelight, eating lots of chocolate and wearing red clothes, as a sort of stunt-double for Mario as he recovered.

Luigi: ”Yes, I-a offered to help out Miyamoto...I filled-a out Mario’s-a shoes, if you will. We wrapped up-a shooting just as Mario began eating the solids-o.”

Super Mario World was released, and gained immediate success. To this date it is regarded as the greatest video game ever.

Miyamoto: “Yes, it was of course great for me to attain such a success...but all I could think about was Mario.”

Mario: “Yes, when I was recovering they kept me-a off any addictive-o drugs. I wasn’t-a even allowed-o painkillers. When the time came around to the next real project, I was-a in turmoil.”

Miyamoto: “I approached Mario and told him that I was about to make another game...and desperately wanted him on board.”

At this stage, Mario had only just been discharged, and was advised not to work at all.

Doctor: “Yes, I told him that he must not accept any job, no matter how small. Not even voice-overs.”

Due to the lack of availability, Nintendo turned to alternatives. An animated series was produced, but flopped. The ideas dried up, and so, Miyamoto wen back to Mario.

Mario: “He comes over to-a me, and he-a say: ‘I do not want to do this without you.’ It was-a very hard for me-a, but I said-a no...”

But with a stroke of genius, a middle ground was reached.

Miyamoto: “There is no doubt that without Mario’s idea, there would be no Mario 64.”

Mario: “So I think-a and think-a about how-a we do this...and sudden-a-ly it hit me. I could be in Mario 64...”

*commercials*

Mario had been overseeing some technological research at Nintendo when he began walking again.

Mario: “I see this very detailed-a 3D modelling soft-a-ware, and I-a say to Shiggy: ‘My friend, what about-a the software?’ and he smile. He smile and we know that we could make-a the game.”

This new software was used to make a demo showed to the whole Nintendo corp. based in Japan and America.

Miyamoto: “It was perfect. Mario have same look in demo as in real life.”

Luigi: “Looking-a back, it-a was ground-a-breaking.”

The demo went on to produce Mario 64.

Mario: “We were able to keep a camera that-a focused on-a the action...and were creating-a a fantasy world in full-a 3D...it was-a truly amazing.”

Miyamoto: “Playing the final game, I see Mario’s face. He is like a schoolgirl who has just had their first kiss...covered in drool.”

Luigi: “After then, he was truly happy. He did not-a need any-a drugs. He kept his-a rehabilitation and by-a the time Mario-a 64, he was almost able to perform some of the-a stunts.”

Mario: “I had been to the very bottom-a...but I had-a come back. I am so-a very thankful to-a my brother, Luigi, who-a found-a me. Without-a him, there may-a been no more Mario games-a. I also-a thank Nintendo for-a supporting me through my-a addiction. I would like to say thank-you-a to Miyamoto for his understanding...and his faith-a in me-a. But most...may I thank-a the fans. They kept-a me going, and without-a them I have-a no reason to go on...I’m..I’m-a sorry...*sniff* I-a not usually-a like *sniff* *snob* this...thank-a you...”

Mario was at the launch of the N64, along with Mario 64, in Japan, America and Europe. He has already finished making Mario Golf, and is in pre-production for Super Smash Brothers.

*end*

------------------- --------------------------- ------------------
Third time lucky, I hope...maybe you can appreciate this...

As you may have guessed by the end bit, this was set just before Mario Golf was released. Depending on how this is received, I may do a second part, from there. Thanks for reading, and please, give me your feedback. It’s based on VH-1’s Behind The Music, by the way.
Thu 06/06/02 at 13:41
Regular
"Grammatical Watchdo"
Did YOU have an over does? Your mad!!
Wed 05/06/02 at 20:40
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
*pop*
Wed 05/06/02 at 17:31
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Tonight, on VH-1’s “Behind The Gaming”, we have this heart-wrenching tale of the greatest platform character ever’s fall from grace.

“MARIO: TEARS OF A PLUMBER”

Miyamoto: “I had known Mario since I can remember...he was at some conference or other about plumber’s rights. I just happened to be wandering past there, and came across this Italian boy. Of course, as soon as I set eyes upon him I knew that he’d be huge video-game stars.”

Mario was offered a job at Nintendo doing basic paperwork...but that was just the start. Within weeks, the two were invited to a video-game audition.

Rayman: “Haw-he-haw, yez, I werz auditioning for zee part, but zey waz not lookeen for a Freyunch charekter, mooch lezz wun wizz no limmz...however, I did zee zizz Italian boy...”

*clip of Mario reading lines, grabbing coins and jumping on small brown goblins at the audition*

Mario won acclaim for his work in the game, and the ball was rolling. More games following, starring opposite such stars as Donkey Kong, and long-time girlfriend Princess Peach.

Peach: “Yes, when I met Mario I was immediately attracted to his shortness, stubbyness and bushy moustache.”

Mario: “Obviously-a, it was-a an honour to be in a game with that crazy ape, ahahaha-a...but I did not know-a how lucky I was-a to be near Peach until it was too-a late.”

Peach: “After that first game, I knew he was the one for me...but Mario did not seem as interested. The way he distanced himself from everybody...I was soon finding myself not loving him, but loathing him. I only later found out about the drugs...”

*commercials*

Mario: “I...had-a, a problem-o.”

After his third game, Mario had some serious injuries as a result of falling off of platforms. He received some medical attention, and was put on painkillers.

Mario’s Doctor: “Yes, he wasn’t responding to the treatment so I put him on the drugs. Given the opportunity, I would do it again; I did nothing wrong.”

The pills had an adverse affect...

Peach: “He started turning up for work late, with bloodshot eyes and an awful temper. He hadn’t shaved in days...his moustache was twice the width of his whole face.”

The pills were making the pain worse, not better. The doctors went back to the drawing board, and there were only two solutions...

Mario: “They-a said to me-a...”

Doctor: “...’You have to stop being in games.’ I said that to his face.”

Mario: “I was-a crushed. I was desperate-a for an alternative...”

Doctor: “There was no other choice...he wouldn’t back down.”

Mario: “Games were-a my life...the parties-a...the money...I was not about to-a give it up.”

The pain was never letting up, though. Hours and hours of making games put real strain on every inch of Mario’s body.

Mario: “So-a, the doc, he comes in one day and he says they’re-a gonna give-a me some morphine.”

That was just the start.

*commercials*

Production was just starting on Super Mario World.

Miyamoto: “Yes, this was my baby. My favourite project for a long time; it was going to be an epic, and I wanted Mario centre stage. So I ask him, ‘can you do this for me Mario?’ And you know what he say? He say he never let me down...and he didn’t.”

Doctor: “So, for about a week, we gave him very small doses of the drugs, and he was fine. We didn’t want to get him hooked, so we kept it to minimal doses...but then one day, he bursts in and says...”

Mario: “..the morphine. I need-a the morphine, now.”

Doctor: “So of course, I ask him why and he says he has a new job. An important one. I shook my head, and told him he needed to rest, to let the drug take it’s course...”

Mario: “But I was going to be in the game-a. It was-a Super MARIO World-a, and I was-a not to let Miyamoto down-a, not after-a what he did for me.”

On the first day of shooting the action sequences, Mario was buzzing.

Production Crew Member: “Yeah, I saw ‘im. All smiles, ‘e was. Joking about, really buzzin’. He was running around crazy, like he had too much energy to burn off...”

Luigi: “Yeah, after-a the shooting he buy-a us all-a the drinks we like-a. It-a not like Mario, he seemed...different.”

Of course, he was different. Against doctor’s orders, Mario had taken a stronger dose of morphine.

Miyamoto: “Naturally, when we get to the later levels, Mario is having to do harder stunts, push himself even harder.”

Doctor: “I did not see Mario for weeks on end. When I would try and contact him, all I would speak to is his answering machine.”

Miyamoto: “One Friday, he did not turn up for shooting...now, this very unlike Mario. He usually very prompt...”

It would later transpire that Mario had taken three days’ worth of extra-strength morphine injections in one session.

Luigi: “So, I knock on the-a door and no sound, so I use-a my extra key and go inside. What do I see-a, but my brother lying on the floor, surrounded by needles. His-a gloves, they are-a turned purple, and his face is-a covered with drool. To say-a the least, I was shocked-o...but I-a managed to phone-a 9-a-1-1.”

Mario was rushed to hospital, in a serious condition.

Miyamoto: “Of course, this meant we had to delay the game. Thousands of disgruntled fans moaned about it, but nothing was more important than the safety of Mario.”

Mario died twice on that trip in an ambulance.

Doctor: “It was a miracle he was ever able to speak again, let alone get back into videogaming...”

Luigi stepped into the limelight, eating lots of chocolate and wearing red clothes, as a sort of stunt-double for Mario as he recovered.

Luigi: ”Yes, I-a offered to help out Miyamoto...I filled-a out Mario’s-a shoes, if you will. We wrapped up-a shooting just as Mario began eating the solids-o.”

Super Mario World was released, and gained immediate success. To this date it is regarded as the greatest video game ever.

Miyamoto: “Yes, it was of course great for me to attain such a success...but all I could think about was Mario.”

Mario: “Yes, when I was recovering they kept me-a off any addictive-o drugs. I wasn’t-a even allowed-o painkillers. When the time came around to the next real project, I was-a in turmoil.”

Miyamoto: “I approached Mario and told him that I was about to make another game...and desperately wanted him on board.”

At this stage, Mario had only just been discharged, and was advised not to work at all.

Doctor: “Yes, I told him that he must not accept any job, no matter how small. Not even voice-overs.”

Due to the lack of availability, Nintendo turned to alternatives. An animated series was produced, but flopped. The ideas dried up, and so, Miyamoto wen back to Mario.

Mario: “He comes over to-a me, and he-a say: ‘I do not want to do this without you.’ It was-a very hard for me-a, but I said-a no...”

But with a stroke of genius, a middle ground was reached.

Miyamoto: “There is no doubt that without Mario’s idea, there would be no Mario 64.”

Mario: “So I think-a and think-a about how-a we do this...and sudden-a-ly it hit me. I could be in Mario 64...”

*commercials*

Mario had been overseeing some technological research at Nintendo when he began walking again.

Mario: “I see this very detailed-a 3D modelling soft-a-ware, and I-a say to Shiggy: ‘My friend, what about-a the software?’ and he smile. He smile and we know that we could make-a the game.”

This new software was used to make a demo showed to the whole Nintendo corp. based in Japan and America.

Miyamoto: “It was perfect. Mario have same look in demo as in real life.”

Luigi: “Looking-a back, it-a was ground-a-breaking.”

The demo went on to produce Mario 64.

Mario: “We were able to keep a camera that-a focused on-a the action...and were creating-a a fantasy world in full-a 3D...it was-a truly amazing.”

Miyamoto: “Playing the final game, I see Mario’s face. He is like a schoolgirl who has just had their first kiss...covered in drool.”

Luigi: “After then, he was truly happy. He did not-a need any-a drugs. He kept his-a rehabilitation and by-a the time Mario-a 64, he was almost able to perform some of the-a stunts.”

Mario: “I had been to the very bottom-a...but I had-a come back. I am so-a very thankful to-a my brother, Luigi, who-a found-a me. Without-a him, there may-a been no more Mario games-a. I also-a thank Nintendo for-a supporting me through my-a addiction. I would like to say thank-you-a to Miyamoto for his understanding...and his faith-a in me-a. But most...may I thank-a the fans. They kept-a me going, and without-a them I have-a no reason to go on...I’m..I’m-a sorry...*sniff* I-a not usually-a like *sniff* *snob* this...thank-a you...”

Mario was at the launch of the N64, along with Mario 64, in Japan, America and Europe. He has already finished making Mario Golf, and is in pre-production for Super Smash Brothers.

*end*

------------------- --------------------------- ------------------
Third time lucky, I hope...maybe you can appreciate this...

As you may have guessed by the end bit, this was set just before Mario Golf was released. Depending on how this is received, I may do a second part, from there. Thanks for reading, and please, give me your feedback. It’s based on VH-1’s Behind The Music, by the way.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.