GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I want to be Link"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/06/02 at 19:26
Regular
The new Zelda has got me thinking. I think about it A LOT. It’s mainly because of you guys moaning about it so much. Just looking down the forum list, I see at least five Zelda topics, and they’re ALL THE SAME…you all have views on the new look. You don’t like it, you haven’t seen it, you want it changed. In every single topic like this, some intelligent person has explained that the graphics don’t matter, it’s the gameplay that counts – and I’ve had to agree with them. But as I said, I’ve been thinking, and are we all sure that the new Zelda is going to be as good as its forefathers? I’m not.

Just hear me out here, keep reading. There’s something in the new Zelda that I think is missing.
In the previous Legends, Link has always been a relatively quiet, sombre character. He didn’t have many facial expressions and you never heard him speak, “What’s that? This is your shield!?” He was, essentially, a blank canvas.
This blank canvas was under your control. He was the puppet, the extension of you, the little hole in the TV screen where you could put your arm through and touch the Hyrule inside. From the moment you entered your name on the New Game screen, you BECAME Link. It was YOU who rescued the princess, who got marooned on a Dream Island, who travelled in time, who saved the Triforce. You genuinely cared for the Hyrulians who’s lives depended on you. You felt sad went you had to leave Saria, you felt angry when Majora stole your horse. But in this new Zelda, its all changed.

And for once I’m going to blame the graphical style. The cel-shading isn’t just coating Hyrule and Link, it’s getting INSIDE him as well…he’s changed. He’s become a real character, he’s got personality and a style. In the new Zelda Legend, he has a family. You’re not Link anymore, you’re an outsider looking in on him and his sister and grandmother.

I’m not saying that you’re never Link in this game, the problem is that you want to be Link so badly but can’t. I think so anyway. To me when I was Link I never knew where I had come from, I was an orphan raised in the forest and all I knew was that I had a profound destiny to keep justice and defend the right. But now when I want to be Link, when I want to make him mine, I find he’s no longer a blank canvas anymore. He’s a real person with shouts, laughter, winks and smiles. I want Link back, he belongs to me.

So if you understood all that I just said, hopefully you’ll agree. The previous Zeldas contained the best sense of escapism I ever had felt. In an instant I was Link, battling in underground dungeons or riding horseback across the Hyrulian Fields. But in the new Zelda, I’m worried that I’ll just be left watching Link do his stuff as if he doesn’t want me anymore.
Wed 05/06/02 at 16:15
Regular
"keep your receipt"
However I'm sure that once you get inside the dungeons and stuff it won't matter that much. I'm just worried about how the storyline and characters can progress in the same 'Epic' feel that they did in Ocarina and Majora's.
Wed 05/06/02 at 16:13
Regular
"Selected"
Exactly! I'm glad people have the ability here to look deeper into aspects of the new Zelda rather then just saying "it's rubbish because the graphics are flat". I'm still looking foward to it and plus, Nintendo are re-releasing Ocarina of Time on the Gamecube with new areas....cool.
Wed 05/06/02 at 16:02
Regular
"keep your receipt"
Yeah I can see what you mean. I guess making Link more amiable could endear people to the game more, but as you said Zelda loyalists are going to be left out. I mean, Link's got a sister, a grandmother!? Where the hell does that fit in the Legend!?
Wed 05/06/02 at 15:55
Regular
"Selected"
I agree with the original post totally and think that what Link did reflected what you'd do in the same situation when he was given a particualr scenario. This gave the games a more personal feel. But, on the other hand, Link has been given a background, a story and a life that new people will be able to get their teeth into. I guess I'm trying to say that Nintendo have tryed to involve everybody. The new Zelda game will offer a more concrete story that new-comers can understand, they won't be thinking it's unrealistic to suddenly be riding through a forest on horseback without any explanation to the characters reason for being their (Majora's Mask). Whilst people who've played the game since The Lengend of Zelda will be involved in a new experience that can be refreashing to both look at and (maybe) play.

It is a shame, though, that Nintendo seems to have Sacrificed loyal fans in what may turn out to be a vain attempt to expand it's auidience....somebody.....please tell me I'm wrong...
Tue 04/06/02 at 21:54
Regular
"keep your receipt"
hopefully though another game will appear to quench my particular thirsts... :D

When you think about it though, in a way the N64 was good at immersion because it didn't have the processing power to give its characters much, er, character, if you see what i mean. In fact, I can think about lots of bad points new technology brings...i feel a GAD attempt coming on...
Tue 04/06/02 at 20:37
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I agree, the facial expressions from the videos just look so vulgar. They just don't suit the personality that we are led to believe link has.
Tue 04/06/02 at 19:53
Regular
"One More Chance"
I want to be Bam Margera but I wont go in to the details why.

But anyway that was a good point and post. I am not really looking forward to the new Zelda game as I hated the first two so the new one wont bother me if the game is you not doing as much.
Tue 04/06/02 at 19:26
Regular
"keep your receipt"
The new Zelda has got me thinking. I think about it A LOT. It’s mainly because of you guys moaning about it so much. Just looking down the forum list, I see at least five Zelda topics, and they’re ALL THE SAME…you all have views on the new look. You don’t like it, you haven’t seen it, you want it changed. In every single topic like this, some intelligent person has explained that the graphics don’t matter, it’s the gameplay that counts – and I’ve had to agree with them. But as I said, I’ve been thinking, and are we all sure that the new Zelda is going to be as good as its forefathers? I’m not.

Just hear me out here, keep reading. There’s something in the new Zelda that I think is missing.
In the previous Legends, Link has always been a relatively quiet, sombre character. He didn’t have many facial expressions and you never heard him speak, “What’s that? This is your shield!?” He was, essentially, a blank canvas.
This blank canvas was under your control. He was the puppet, the extension of you, the little hole in the TV screen where you could put your arm through and touch the Hyrule inside. From the moment you entered your name on the New Game screen, you BECAME Link. It was YOU who rescued the princess, who got marooned on a Dream Island, who travelled in time, who saved the Triforce. You genuinely cared for the Hyrulians who’s lives depended on you. You felt sad went you had to leave Saria, you felt angry when Majora stole your horse. But in this new Zelda, its all changed.

And for once I’m going to blame the graphical style. The cel-shading isn’t just coating Hyrule and Link, it’s getting INSIDE him as well…he’s changed. He’s become a real character, he’s got personality and a style. In the new Zelda Legend, he has a family. You’re not Link anymore, you’re an outsider looking in on him and his sister and grandmother.

I’m not saying that you’re never Link in this game, the problem is that you want to be Link so badly but can’t. I think so anyway. To me when I was Link I never knew where I had come from, I was an orphan raised in the forest and all I knew was that I had a profound destiny to keep justice and defend the right. But now when I want to be Link, when I want to make him mine, I find he’s no longer a blank canvas anymore. He’s a real person with shouts, laughter, winks and smiles. I want Link back, he belongs to me.

So if you understood all that I just said, hopefully you’ll agree. The previous Zeldas contained the best sense of escapism I ever had felt. In an instant I was Link, battling in underground dungeons or riding horseback across the Hyrulian Fields. But in the new Zelda, I’m worried that I’ll just be left watching Link do his stuff as if he doesn’t want me anymore.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.