GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The violent factor in games!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/06/02 at 23:40
Regular
We all have the soft spot for violent games no matter how many of us criticise games for being violent we all love’em, there’s nothing more soothing then coming home from a stressful day and just letting it all out by firing a rocket launcher at some evil baddies and just watching the fireworks as they suffer, its amazing.

There are so many critics out there criticising games that they are too violent and they should be banned but violence is part of human nature, it’s an amazing cure for stress. What happens when you suppress something and you carry on doing it, that’s right it blows up and then causes major damage (same rules apply to stress although you don’t blow up literally).

I have met many different hardcore gamers from all round the world in my time but I have never in my life met a violent one (must have a link with games) can games really be the cure for all crimes in the world. People tell me violent games affect behaviour and make your more violent, in fact I say they are completely wrong as every hardcore gamer is living proof that games don’t make us more violent they in fact make us less violent.

I say they should try an experiment on the world most violent criminals and lock them up in a cell with a computer games machine and games like (GTA3, POSTAL, State of emergency, etc) the more violent the better and I can assure you when they come out they will probably be the nicest harmless type of person you have ever met. Games can easily be the perfect weapons against crime but we just haven’t realised it yet. Ever heard “two negatives make a positive”.

Almost every game out there is a violent game, a lot of them are just disguised as nice innocent angle games which parent are lead to believe are harmless, but little do they know it is disguised violence, even Mario, (jumping and killing) Sonic (jumping and sawing the baddies in half), Pokemon (fighting and punishing the opponent in various horrible ways to death, and then writing that the enemy fainted, to justify it being not violent).

The question is why, why are they violent? The answer is because we ENJOY them and violence does sell, yes that’s right we find violence enjoyable, and something that is enjoyable makes money, and that’s what most companies mainly focus on. Almost every great game out there I can think of has to be violent in some way or another (Maybe Tetris is an exception but that sound of crushing bricks, maybe consider a fraction violent or maybe FIFA but the fouls are violent and what about the poor ball).

So there you have it the conclusion to all critics who think violence in games is a bad thing, they’ll just have to live with it, its part of human nature.
Wed 05/06/02 at 17:00
its true most games are violent and its harmless fun really.
Mon 03/06/02 at 23:40
Regular
"!"£$%^&*()_+"
We all have the soft spot for violent games no matter how many of us criticise games for being violent we all love’em, there’s nothing more soothing then coming home from a stressful day and just letting it all out by firing a rocket launcher at some evil baddies and just watching the fireworks as they suffer, its amazing.

There are so many critics out there criticising games that they are too violent and they should be banned but violence is part of human nature, it’s an amazing cure for stress. What happens when you suppress something and you carry on doing it, that’s right it blows up and then causes major damage (same rules apply to stress although you don’t blow up literally).

I have met many different hardcore gamers from all round the world in my time but I have never in my life met a violent one (must have a link with games) can games really be the cure for all crimes in the world. People tell me violent games affect behaviour and make your more violent, in fact I say they are completely wrong as every hardcore gamer is living proof that games don’t make us more violent they in fact make us less violent.

I say they should try an experiment on the world most violent criminals and lock them up in a cell with a computer games machine and games like (GTA3, POSTAL, State of emergency, etc) the more violent the better and I can assure you when they come out they will probably be the nicest harmless type of person you have ever met. Games can easily be the perfect weapons against crime but we just haven’t realised it yet. Ever heard “two negatives make a positive”.

Almost every game out there is a violent game, a lot of them are just disguised as nice innocent angle games which parent are lead to believe are harmless, but little do they know it is disguised violence, even Mario, (jumping and killing) Sonic (jumping and sawing the baddies in half), Pokemon (fighting and punishing the opponent in various horrible ways to death, and then writing that the enemy fainted, to justify it being not violent).

The question is why, why are they violent? The answer is because we ENJOY them and violence does sell, yes that’s right we find violence enjoyable, and something that is enjoyable makes money, and that’s what most companies mainly focus on. Almost every great game out there I can think of has to be violent in some way or another (Maybe Tetris is an exception but that sound of crushing bricks, maybe consider a fraction violent or maybe FIFA but the fouls are violent and what about the poor ball).

So there you have it the conclusion to all critics who think violence in games is a bad thing, they’ll just have to live with it, its part of human nature.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.