GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rare: The History of"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/06/02 at 10:45
Regular
Today, Rare is one of the most respected game developers around. They have worked there way through the ranks to get where they are. Some of the games they have made will go down of some of the greatest of their time. Get ready to go back to the future with Rare.

Rare: The Spectrum Era

At this time, Rare was known as Ultimate and boy, did they made some classics. As I want to go to bed some time in the next year, I‘ll only include the well-known classics.

JetPac - The year is 1983. Rare have released their first game on the Spectrum and it goes by the name of ‘Jetpac.’ Sound familiar? Rare’s first classic. A kind of cross between a platformer and a shoot ’em up, with you as a spaceman with a jetpack, shooting aliens while trying to reassemble your space rocket.

Pssst - Once again the Year 1983. This fantastic single screener, based around a robot called Robbie who has to spray insects before they get to a plant. Doesn’t sound great, but it was.

Sabre Wulf - This classic was produced in 1984. The sideways viewed shoot’em up/maze game, introduced Sabreman. It included three different endings that were meant to lead onto different games.

Lunar Jetman - The follow up to the hugely successful ‘JetPac.’ Released in 1984. The levels now scrolled sideways and the lunar buggy aiding Jetman’s task to rid the planet of alien missile installations.

Gunfright - Two years after Lunar Jetman came Gunfright. Set in the Wild West, viewed from the now legendary Ultimate 3D isometric view, but with a stronger shoot-’em up element padding out the usual bounty collecting.

These were some of the classics released on the Spectrum. But it doesn’t stop there. With the arrival of the NES from Nintendo, Ultimate became Rare and it was Rare’s time to shine. They released more than a whopping 40 games on the Nes.

RC Pro AM - A great little top-down driving game, in which you race a radio controlled car around a track against three other computer racers with plenty of weapons and upgrades available for virtual money. This game was very popular in it’s time and one of Rare’s most famous games.

Marble Madness - Conversion of the great arcade game where you controlled a marble rolling along a bunch of 3D platforms without falling off.

Solar Jetman - Rare entered the 90’s strongly with this follow up to Lunar Jetman. You were in a little spaceship trying to fly through caverns without banging into the walls while on a one-man rescue mission to recover the most powerful spacecraft in the galaxy.

BattleToads - The year is 1991. Introduction of Rare’s widely converted game. A scrolling beat ‘em up featuring little green frogs with kung fu skills. Weird...

Once again Nintendo released a new and improved version of the NES. The SNES. See what they have done there? Nah. Don’t worry about it. The middle years of Rare where monkeys took centre stage. With the release of Donkey Kong, one of Rare’s most famous games, Rare were on an all time high.

Battletoads in Battlemaniacs - Released in 1993 this scrolling action game featuring Rare’s answer to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in the follow up their NES debut. Tight and responsive controls, with great graphics.

Donkey Kong Country - The game that put Rare on the map, doing things with the SNES that SNES owners never dreamed their machine could manage. Joined with a sidekick, Diddy, it was utter mayhem.

Donkey Kong Country 2 - More of the same, with even cleaner graphics, and a girl-ape introduced by a debut appearance of Diddy’s sister, Dixie.

Donkey Kong 3 - Maybe better than the first two, with a starring role, with 3D sections in which you hurl missiles into the screen.

By the time the N64 had come out, Rare was one of the best developers in the gaming industry and boy, did they have some tricks up their sleeves.

Blast Corps - Only 5 years ago now and out came a game where you take over a variety of vehicles and plough your way through a city making way for a highly dangerous nuclear truck. Truly bonkers, but still great, in a rampage kind of way.

Goldeneye - Perfect Dark forerunner, with a longer life span than an oak tree, thanks to the superb multi-player mode. Steeped in Bond atmosphere, with a stealthier element than pervious first person shooters. Gave Rare a name.

Banjo Kazooie - Came out in 1998. It’s platform antics, with you simultaneously stepping into the fur of a bear called Banjo and a bird called Kazooie, were on a quest to locate the 100-piece jigsaw puzzle.

Donkey Kong 64 - Hugely successful follow -up to the SNES’ Donkey Kong Country featuring four kongs, with more nice touches than ever seen before, and a great multiplayer.

Perfect Dark - Taking the Goldeneye engine to a futuristic setting crammed with sinister mega and alien conspiracy theories, with a multiplayer mode to die for.

Banjo Tooie - Follow up to Banjo Kazooie, with eight enormous new worlds, tons of new mini-games, new characters, and new moves. They could separate from each other, and was a great addition to the Rare’s repertoire.

Conker’s Bad Fur Day - A journey for a young, dirty, swearing squirrel looking for money. Executed with excellence and one of my favourite games on the N64.

From what we have seen, Rare have revolutionised the gaming industry forever. What can we expect from Rare in the future? Who knows? Hopefully, they will carry on the tradition and make some of the finest games ever. We’ll have to wait and see...

Liquid
Sat 08/06/02 at 18:40
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Liquid H²O wrote:
> It's true.

lol.. oh, no... I wasn't disagreeing with you.... just being a little cheeky :)
Sat 08/06/02 at 18:23
Regular
It's true.
Fri 07/06/02 at 12:56
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Liquid H²O wrote:

> JetPac - The year is 1983. Rare have released their first game on the
> Spectrum and it goes by the name of ‘Jetpac.’ Sound familiar? Rare’s
> first classic. A kind of cross between a platformer and a shoot ’em
> up, with you as a spaceman with a jetpack, shooting aliens while
> trying to reassemble your space rocket.

Really? ... JET PAC huh? ... Mmmmm ;)
Wed 05/06/02 at 16:18
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Whitestripes wrote:
"umm.....no"

Why the 'no'???
I know that Blast Corps was Rare's first N64 game, but Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo Kazooie weren't too far behind in the list.
Tue 04/06/02 at 14:59
Regular
Solskjær wrote:
> I only got DK64 on Saturady and it is a great game!
> ........ but it is one of Rare's first N64 games.
>

umm.....no
Tue 04/06/02 at 12:50
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I only got DK64 on Saturady and it is a great game!
I agree with you that it's multiplayer games are dissapointing when compared to the one's in Conker for example, but it is one of Rare's first N64 games.

I also looked on the box of the SNES's Battletoads last night and it IS by Rare to my surprise!!

Their logo looked so Retro back then!
But why wasn't it on the front of the box??
Tue 04/06/02 at 12:36
Regular
RC Pro AM was more close to isometric, not top down.
Tue 04/06/02 at 12:18
Regular
I thought Diddy Kongs multiplayer sucked, it was too slow.
Mon 03/06/02 at 23:14
Regular
Rare rule, but DK64's multiplayer seriously sucked.

Goldeneye, Diddy Kong Racing, Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day - these had fantastic multiplayers.

DK64, I tried it a few times and then just stuck to the main adventure.
Mon 03/06/02 at 20:20
Regular
fosbe wrote:
> What was the point of that? It got so boring before i was even quarter
> way down.

Shut up.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.