GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bizzare Commentary Moments"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/06/02 at 15:56
Regular
Feel free to add any amusing or frankly odd commentry lines from the World Cup.

The first one has to go to Clive Tydldesley in England V Sweden, when the camera focuses on Sven Goran Eriksson's worried expression: "A stretching of Swedish head there".
Sun 02/06/02 at 15:56
Regular
Feel free to add any amusing or frankly odd commentry lines from the World Cup.

The first one has to go to Clive Tydldesley in England V Sweden, when the camera focuses on Sven Goran Eriksson's worried expression: "A stretching of Swedish head there".
Sun 02/06/02 at 20:36
I think that at one point in the same game he said that one of the players had 'Shot his bolt'.

I didn't think that they allowed such behaviour on a football field.
Sun 02/06/02 at 21:45
Regular
"My Posts Make Sense"
I can't remeber the exact match, but it was a Man U Champions League game and Ron Atkinson came ot with the inspired line of:

"That would have had a better chance of going in if it was on target."
Sun 02/06/02 at 23:24
Just thought of another one.

It was an Arsenal match some time ago. I cant remember who was commentating but he said;

'He'll need Seaman to come'

You dont say.
Mon 03/06/02 at 13:10
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I didn't hear the commentary at work yesterday as we had to keep the sound down so we could work at the same time.

But I remember something odd coming from the FA Cup Final between Boro and Chelsea a few years back. As DiMatteo struck one in off the bar from 30 yards in record time Martin Tyler shouted "OW!" like he'd been hit!

No-one knows why he did this! He just did.
People have joked about it being something to do with Andy Gray touching him or something. :S

I'm sure he'd an Arsenal fan too - so he shouldn't get to excited about a Chelsea goal.
Tue 04/06/02 at 11:12
Regular
"I love Dave music"
Oh come on, the best, and I do mean best, commentary moment ever was in the England-Germany game in Euro 1996. Right at the start of the game, don't remember the commentator, but you have to bare in mind the Germans had a player in midfield about to pick up the ball called Stefan Kuntz, I'm not sure about the first sentance, I guess its not really important, it was just about how the Germans always seem to beat us.

"And of course we all know the history between these two teams. Germany of course put England out of Italia '90 on penalties. Kuntz"
Wed 05/06/02 at 00:10
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
I remember watching this show about John Motson commentating on a match when tele's were 'Black and White'....

and he said:

"for those of you at home, liverpool are actually the ones in red"

Heh like anyone could see that.
Wed 05/06/02 at 13:31
Regular
One of the ITV commentators when talking about Gary Breen (i think thats what hes called) just said

"I bet he's seen a few Jankers in his time"
Wed 05/06/02 at 13:50
Regular
"Well hit on me..."
My favourites are:

Terry Venables: "Apart from the goals, they haven't scored."

Kevin Keegan: "I know whats around the corner, I just don't know where the corner is"

Kevin Keegan during France '98:

During the Romania game:
Keegan: "......I can only see one team winning this now, and thats england...."

Other commentator (can't remember who it was): "....but wait, here comes Dan Petrescu...". At which point Seaman got nut-megged and we lost 2-1.

During the Argentina Shootout:
Other commentator: "Quickly, do you think he will score"

Keegan: "Yes". At which point David Batty decides to miss the penalty and we were on our way home before you could say Diego Maradonna
Thu 06/06/02 at 18:07
I remember the 1982 world cup in Spain. The host nation were playing and they had a player called Lopez Ufarte. The commentator (might of been Brian Moore) said "And there is a strong wind blowing around they stadium now as Lopez Ufarte takes posession'.

John Motson came out with one just the other day, when commentating on the Mexico game. He said "The trouble with the Mexicans is that they are always comparing their strikers to the incomparable Hugo Sanchez".

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.