GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Science .vs. Religion"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/06/02 at 11:58
Regular
This is just my opinion on some stuff. Which side do you favor - scientific or religious route? Foreword: This, which I am about to type isn’t science-fiction nonsense. Much of what is written is based on scientifically proven fact, and the rest is my opinion. Using a combination of the two, a reasonably non-contradictory explanation can hopefully be created. Right.

In the beginning there was the big bang, the creation of OUR universe. There, at the same time, were also an infinite number of other big bangs elsewhere in the multiverse. The multiverse is a fluid medium in which our, and many other universes float. Our universe is likely to be donut-shaped, but as we have no scientific proof, and never will have, this can never be proved. The multiverse cannot be defined; it is a place where “god” exists. Here he/she/it created all the universes, possibly simultaneously. He DID create everything we know, but in a random manner. Each universe is similar to at least one other universe, but with one single tiny difference in the laws of physics. For every possible outcome that could arise, there is a universe for each possibility (hence parallel universe. But this is actually lies because if it was a parallel universe then everything would be the same and it’s not, there is one difference in each one). Our universe is almost infinitely large, and is expanding, at an almost infinite rate. (Again not 100% scientific fact but this is what is generally believed to be happening)

The universe is several billion years old, this IS scientific fact and flatly contradicts the Bible, which claims the earth is a mere 5000 years old, but the earth is also several billion years old. It could be ¼ the age of the universe or perhaps even less. But still, that is substantially more than 5000 years. If the bible is wrong on such a scale, such a massive fact then surely other, more minor facts must also be incorrect. The bible clearly has a lot of truth. And it also has many valid points, and thus should be followed. But, in my opinion, whether you follow it or not, has no effect on the “afterlife”, more on this later.

The earth was formed in space over millions or billions of years, due to the accumulation of dust and particles in space, formed by a destroyed star or the creation of the universe itself. The gravity of all the little bits pulled together to form a large planet. There was extreme heat here because of all the forces acting upon the planet, during its creation. Here it sat and boiled for a while, until it got smacked by a super-massive asteroid, and this caused bits of it to fly off. These bits went into orbit around the earth and formed the moon. Earth now is kind of cooling down, and sort of becoming habitable. Life will soon form, but there are two possible ways in which this could happen.

1. Bits of stuff, proteins etc congealed in a pool, by chance formed an organism and this organism then decided it was a plant. And thus life on earth arose due to its own volition.

2. There was already life elsewhere in the universe, which is highly likely due to the place’s age, 5 billion years+ is likely to form life (as stated in 1.), and a meteor or whatever struck this planet. Some bacteria or plant material was transported through space in/on the asteroid. It landed on our humble planet, escaped and started up here.

If either of these are true, which they could well be, does it not occur to you that life is just a big bunch of random proteins and stuff congealed together, by luck/chance, and evolution have culminated, on this planet at any rate, in humans. Look at really basic life: an amoeba. It clearly has no intelligence; it simply isn’t capable of it. Don’t say it does, because it simply cant think, it lives, breeds etc on genetic instinct built into it. It has no choice, it has no ethics, and it has no ‘spirit’. Eat or not eat. Divide or not divide. That’s about the limit of its choices. Then look at us: are we any different? NO. Our brains are just 2 lbs of gray mush that has been formed over millions of years of natural selection. The brain is really great. It’s quite smashing. It can do millions of things per second; it’s faster than ANY computer. It controls electrical signals generated in our brain, generally by external stimuli. Sight, smell etc. these electrical signals go to glands or whatever, send out hormones, and stuff.

Personality is just a bonus, a side effect of the brain. Look at dolphins, or sharks, or snakes, or mice. Not stupid animals, they have personalities, just like any one of us. But would you say they have a “spirit”? Do they have a god? In the literal sense, yes they do as god is (potentially) an omnipotent being who created the universes. But do they go to heaven when they die? Do the dolphins go to a massive sea in the sky with as many hoops, balls and fish as they want? To the mice go to cheese-land? No. How? Because there is no such place, there is no such thing as “spirits,” or “your soul”. There is the person inside oneself, but that is primarily defined at conception, then later, after birth, formed through external influences. It may sound heartless but it is, in my opinion, the truth.

So, what happens when we die? Where do we go, what happens to our consciousness? It simply stops. There is nothing there; you simply don’t exist (other then your dead body). Whatever thoughts, feelings or whatever you had on your dying day will be stored there still, in your deceased brain, until it degrades, the memory cells die and THEN, you are gone. So in a way you do exist after death, if only briefly. But of course you are dead, there is no heart action, thus no brain function, therefore it is the end.

If you disagree with any of my points, feel free to criticize.

Thanks for reading,
LF
Tue 02/07/02 at 10:29
"Darkness, always"
Eses wrote:
> Hey rember guys that Brazil are only good at football name something
> else they are know for?

Urban sprawl.

> See what i mean the Yanks are good at copying
> stuff like rugby with pads and of course making the most pollution ha.

Actually, that honour goes to Mexico.

> English are good at making fish and chips there on langauge (better
> than you yankeys by a lot even too extreme circumstances.

The english language is actually a combination of old Nordic, Latin, French and German. Hardly original. Our fish often come from Spain, and our potatoes come from Ireland. We aren't known as "Rip-Off Britain" just for our high street pricing policy.
Mon 01/07/02 at 19:31
Hey rember guys that Brazil are only good at football name something else they are know for? See what i mean the Yanks are good at copying stuff like rugby with pads and of course making the most pollution ha. English are good at making fish and chips there on langauge (better than you yankeys by a lot even too extreme circumstances.
Mon 01/07/02 at 17:06
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Of course, the individual skills of Brazil's players had nothing to do
> with their victory...

Do I detect a hint of Irony here...
>
> Brazil believe. Every team believes in something. The French believe
> in themselves. Self belief is to their game what Jesus is to the
> Brazilians. It's that belief which made them world and european
> champions.

Indeed it is. And it is the Brazilians belief as Christians that unites them and their countrymen.

Our players probably do have a certain belief in their ability, but not enough. The media in this country are quite happy to knock them down at any opportunity so is it suprising that they doubt themselves.

Without self-belief in our abilities we are not going to get anywhere and not just Footballers.

As I said earlier, I dont think that God was really that bothered who won the game but you never know, he may still bear a bit of a grudge against the Germans !!
Mon 01/07/02 at 16:54
"Darkness, always"
nh wrote:
> And one of them had 100% Jesus on his T-Shirt - can't remember who
> though.

Cafu
Mon 01/07/02 at 16:51
"Darkness, always"
Of course, the individual skills of Brazil's players had nothing to do with their victory...

Brazil believe. Every team believes in something. The French believe in themselves. Self belief is to their game what Jesus is to the Brazilians. It's that belief which made them world and european champions.

We don't win because we don't believe in ourselves like other teams do. And it's not really our fault. The media put our team down right until they get on the plane, and then start giving away "support the boys in Japan" posters. How can you believe in yourself when so many people are made not to? It's hard.

Brazil breath football, and their team always gets the support it needs because the people see the team as ambassadors of the beautiful game. The French see their team as quite simply the finest quality in the world, and we see ours as a compromised bunch of goodish players that are going to struggle to get a point in their group games.

See the difference? It's not about being divine, it's about believing and being beleived in. Having "faith" if you will, but not necessarilly religiously.
Mon 01/07/02 at 16:45
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
And one of them had 100% Jesus on his T-Shirt - can't remember who though.
Mon 01/07/02 at 16:41
Regular
"I like cheese"
Think about it. Thousands of millions will have watched the World Cup Final, which means thousands of millions of people will have seen the shirt which read "Jesus Loves You," which I think Roque Junior or Lucio was wearing. And that circle they formed after the match.

There's certainly no better way of 'promoting' yourself, if you know what I mean.
Mon 01/07/02 at 16:38
Regular
"I like cheese"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> That was a joke, right Ant?

Maybe, maybe not.
Mon 01/07/02 at 12:00
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
That's nice !
Mon 01/07/02 at 11:56
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I like the song where Joseph interprets the Pharoah's dreams.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.