GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Verging on the ridiculous"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/05/02 at 23:44
Regular
I was in a music/games shop in town earlier today and they had a big advertisement in the shop for Playstation 2. Already owning a PS2, I didn't take much notice until my friend pointed out to me the price quoted-400 Euro (about 470 pounds sterling I think) and this was without any games, just the machine. I thought there had to be some mistake so I asked the sales guy and he said it was right. I pointed out to him that a normal price everywhere else is about 330 Euro and he just laughed at me! I've heard of overpricing but not on this scale!!! Anyone else come across anything like this?
Thu 30/05/02 at 23:44
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
I was in a music/games shop in town earlier today and they had a big advertisement in the shop for Playstation 2. Already owning a PS2, I didn't take much notice until my friend pointed out to me the price quoted-400 Euro (about 470 pounds sterling I think) and this was without any games, just the machine. I thought there had to be some mistake so I asked the sales guy and he said it was right. I pointed out to him that a normal price everywhere else is about 330 Euro and he just laughed at me! I've heard of overpricing but not on this scale!!! Anyone else come across anything like this?
Thu 30/05/02 at 23:50
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Hmmmmm that doesnt sound right. 400 euro isnt £470 because 1 Euro is worth about .65 of a pound so that would make the price about £260 according to my calculator. SO it isnt THAT overpriced but still if it is without any games the price should be dropped by atleast £80
Thu 30/05/02 at 23:57
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yeah, your conversion's screwed. Although, the cost of living is different in Europe, as is the price of electronics. You can't rely on teh exchange rate at all.
Fri 31/05/02 at 07:57
Regular
"WWJD"
why is there Euro's in Britain? has the world gone mad or where you some where else?
Fri 31/05/02 at 09:05
Regular
"  "
i didn't know we could use Euro here...like Longy said...i guesse you live in France or some English speaking place?
Fri 31/05/02 at 09:42
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Some of the big retailers like M&S will accept Euro's in all their stores, they will only give change in real money thoigh (£'s of course !).

In certain tourist areas - namely London more and more shops will take Euro's but I don't think many shopowners here in carrott crunching land have even heard of them.
Fri 31/05/02 at 09:49
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
it is expensive...

xe.com Universal Currency Converter™ Results
Live mid-market rates as of 2002.05.31 08:40:37 GMT.
470.00 Euro = 300.465 GBP United Kingdom Pounds
1 EUR = 0.639287 GBP 1 GBP = 1.56424 EUR
www.xe.com

Although you calculations are not accurate, it is still quite overpriced.
Fri 31/05/02 at 09:52
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Hmm I put the wrong figure in..

400.00 Euro = 255.766 GBP United Kingdom Pounds

thats more like it and while it is overpriced, its not 'that' much more.
Fri 31/05/02 at 14:40
he might learn when he doesn't actually sell any! at that price, no one is going to buy it. 330 Euros sounds about right. If anyone was trying to flog one here for £280, I'd just laugh!
Fri 31/05/02 at 14:56
Regular
"A man with a stick"
What shop would sell a PS2 for nearly £500? The price is too high to belive that someone would sell it for that amount.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.