GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A mother thinks her Downs syndrome girl should have plastic surgery"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/03/08 at 20:39
Regular
Daily Mail (Freeola's favourite newspaper)

"The people who criticise us are usually people who don't have Down's children of their own. They don't see the teasing that goes on and the problems Down's children have. I just want to give Georgia a helping hand - an "edge" to get on in life."

Okay I'm sure this thread will get lots of lurkers and no comments so don't feel bad, Im expecting it.

My thoughts on this... well I don't have any Down's children and obviously if I did I would never consider this an option. Lots of people are teased about their appearances anyway. Having red hair, wearing glasses, having different coloured eyes, being too tall or too short, you get the idea. I just think this is a couple who have no concept of inner beauty whatsoever.

Oh and to add a little more conversation, how do you feel about plastic surgery? Would you consider it yourself, if you had the money? Would you let your partner do it? Or is it a real turn off? (for me breast implants and trout lips are a HUGE turn off)
Wed 12/03/08 at 14:37
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
spoonbeast wrote:
> They supported the nazis before the war and allowed people to
> sign up to the UK blackshirts which is terrible. They still hold
> right wing views. Saving grace? Their tv guide.

Lord Rothermere, who owned the Mail group at the time, supported the BUF due to the fact he saw the National government as being at a risk of falling, thus there existed a need to support an alternative to a Communist takeover (His theory, at least), as he saw the UK as being in terminal decline.

He actually withrew his support on the realisation the dissent against the India bill would be contained, that the economy was not in such a dire state by the mid-1930s, and at shock towards the BUF's violent tactics, especially after the "Battle" ensuing at their Olympia rally, which also meant a risk to his advertising revenues due to public reaction.

Much of the population was largely ignorant of fascism at the time; especially as this was just before the Night of the Long Knives in Germany. A year after the Mail dropping their support, BUF membership went down a good 90% to, I think, to 5000 or so, and soon became even more irrelevant as they adopted antisemitic policies.

Not so much support for Nazism, but the fears and ignorance of one man trying to protect his own interests and then seeing the reality of things.

Just thought I'd fill you in. Hell, gives the essay I handed in yesterday a use! But the Mail is rather too right-wing at times, I certainly don't touch it.
Wed 12/03/08 at 11:56
"possibly impossible"
spoonbeast wrote:
> daily mail: daily heil.
>
> They supported the nazis before the war and allowed people to
> sign up to the UK blackshirts which is terrible. They still hold
> right wing views. Saving grace? Their tv guide.

And it's still cheaper to get the Radio Times on subscription anyway. No, I think their one saving grace is the free DVDs, which (like last week's Flight of the Navigator) are sometimes worth getting. Oh, and their ability to keep Machie in topics on this forum, of course...
Tue 11/03/08 at 22:25
Regular
I'd want plastic surgery if I had Downs Syndome.
Tue 11/03/08 at 22:02
Regular
"eat toast!"
daily mail: daily heil.

They supported the nazis before the war and allowed people to sign up to the UK blackshirts which is terrible. They still hold right wing views. Saving grace? Their tv guide.
Tue 11/03/08 at 21:16
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Nin wrote:
> I'd question whether making her look normal would benefit her. I
> mean you can look at her now and you know she has Downs and you
> accomodate for that. What happens if she has Downs but looks
> normal? My sister is mentally disabled but because she looks
> fairly normal, people treat her as such which definitely does not
> always benefit her.

With statements like that its very easy to substitute "accomodate" for patronise. Not every downs suffering has severe mental disabilities. I know somebody with Downs that has what you'd say is a mild case, but even so he still has the physical characteristics. Of course since he has the visible effects too, people assume hes brain dead before they've even interacted with the person. So he doesnt benefit from looking like a Downs sufferer either.
Tue 11/03/08 at 20:55
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Hmmm i could agree with both sides. Would i put my daughter through it? I'd consider it but in the end probably not. The first comment down the bottom makes a good point that it's society that needs to change, not the face of a child. But is society going to change and if it isn't, are you going to be be stubborn and do nothing to potentially help your child based on a moral objection?
I'd question whether making her look normal would benefit her. I mean you can look at her now and you know she has Downs and you accomodate for that. What happens if she has Downs but looks normal? My sister is mentally disabled but because she looks fairly normal, people treat her as such which definitely does not always benefit her.
This is all without even considering multiple painful surgeries.
No i'm against it, not on a moral objection but because i think you'd be trading one set of problems for another.
Tue 11/03/08 at 20:48
Regular
"Author of Pain"
Machie wrote:
> Daily
> Mail

I stopped reading here.
Tue 11/03/08 at 20:39
Regular
Daily Mail (Freeola's favourite newspaper)

"The people who criticise us are usually people who don't have Down's children of their own. They don't see the teasing that goes on and the problems Down's children have. I just want to give Georgia a helping hand - an "edge" to get on in life."

Okay I'm sure this thread will get lots of lurkers and no comments so don't feel bad, Im expecting it.

My thoughts on this... well I don't have any Down's children and obviously if I did I would never consider this an option. Lots of people are teased about their appearances anyway. Having red hair, wearing glasses, having different coloured eyes, being too tall or too short, you get the idea. I just think this is a couple who have no concept of inner beauty whatsoever.

Oh and to add a little more conversation, how do you feel about plastic surgery? Would you consider it yourself, if you had the money? Would you let your partner do it? Or is it a real turn off? (for me breast implants and trout lips are a HUGE turn off)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.