GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console World Cup 2002"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 29/05/02 at 20:30
Regular
It's that time of year already folks, time to get ready for some international sporting action in this years Console World Cup. Now over to you, Mark, for a lowdown on the front-runners.

Mark > Thankyou, Gary, this is a joyous occasion for all the teams and fans involved. A lot of work has gone into making this the most memorable occasion this year.

Gary > So, who are the main contenders, Mark?

Mark > Ah right, well here we are, with the odds-on front runners in this years Console World Cup.........

Nintendo
--------

Mark > Miyamoto's Nintendo squad seem to have a promising squad this time around. Over the last few years we have seen Nintendo take a few pitfalls in morale, and with many injuries to note in the last few occasions, they haven't played their best. However, with many of their players returning from injury, and fighting fit, they will be a force to be reckoned with in the tournament.

Gary > So what is Miyamoto's first choice for the starting XI?

Mark > Miyamoto has put a lot of thought into his selection for the squad this year. So too he should, as he now has an abundance of players back in full 3D form. Here is the first XI:

GK: Donkey Kong
LB: Toad
LCB: Bowser
RCB: Wario
RB: Luigi
LM: Yoshi
CM: Princess Toadstool
RM: Kirby
LW: The Gamecube Handle
CF: Link
RW: Mario

Gary > Unusual choice to play Toad at the back isn't it Mark? He is usually an all-round pace player.

Mark > Very true Gary, but I can see Miyamoto's train of thought, with the rest of the competition focusing on large forwards, he saw only fit to equip the Nintendo first IX with a vertically-challenged defender. Perhaps he thought Toad could also hide the ball in his football-coloured toadstool head?

Gary > Interesting, but undoubtedly a highly illegal move, Mark. Also, this is the first time we have seen a handle take part in a football competition, Mark, how do you think the Gamecube handle will pan out against the lively opposition?

Mark > Again, with Miyamoto's past record of highly creative decisions, it would be hard to pick faults with this one. If he decides Nintendo wish to brand the match void, he need only shout a few words across the pitch to Mario, and he can run back, stab the handle into the pitch, and fly away with the entire stadium using his racoon-tail.

Gary > Very, very devious thinking Mark, but I'm sure not a tactic Nintendo will want to use, far too violent. What do you think the logic is behind placing Princess Toadstool in the middle?

Mark > Well, in the past we have only heard stories about the missing Princess. Usually she is far far away and needs a big masculine man to save her from her predicament. However, I believe it was Miyamoto's only option to play Princess in the middle to ensure Mario stays on the pitch for 90 minutes.

Gary > Thankyou, Mark, now on to the next squad, Microsoft......

Microsoft
---------

Gary > Subtle newcomers to the footballing / gaming world are Microsoft, but with huge corporate backing, surely they have more than enough power to take on the likes of Nintendo and Sony? Mark?

Mark > Well, it is agreeable that Microsoft have lots of money, but do they have the players? They certainly have the power, but do they have the assets? Questions undoubtedly raised by all the fans out there, but I have faith that the proposed Microsoft first XI will come through:

GK: Tony Hawk
LB: Rapid 99
LCB: Max Payne
RCB: The XBox Pad
RB: Dave Mirra
LM: Buffy
CM: Spider-Man
RM: The Thing
LF: A scratched DVD disk
CF: The Master Chief
RF: Jann Lee

Gary > Mark, I have noticed that Microsoft seem to be intending to play Rapid 99 at the back. Now, Rapid 99 are a bunch of girls on skates, and surely this will tip the total players over 11 and constitute an illegal move?

Mark > Well Gary, this is perhaps something Microsoft have thought about, and I dare say they will follow the usual procedure when it comes to complaints. Say nothing on the phone, only accept emails and mail, then never respond to them (hush hush).

Gary > Very sneaky, now why have Microsoft decided to play a control pad at the back too?

Mark > Another good question Gary. Perhaps Microsoft have had a lot of complaints over the size of the pad, and decided to put it to good use on the field. It is not debatable that it will prove a valuable asset, it should stop most things in their tracks if the cross the pad's path.

Gary > An email just in asks 'Why on earth have Microsoft decided to place a scratched DVD up front, where all the action is?'

Mark > I don't think there is a right or wrong answer I can give that fella. The only justification I can give is that Microsoft have installed Japanese XBox's to provide the entertainment at Microsoft's home stadium, and one of them accidently fell out of the drive. The manager, Billy Gates, informs us that, mistake or no mistake, the scratched DVD will be the best performer at this years competition, or your money back....

Gary > A secret weapon, huh?

Mark > Maybe Gary, Maybe. However, I don't think Microsoft will need any 'secret weapons' with perhaps the two best newcomers in the upfront position. The Master Chief should be able to keep the keeper busy while Jann Lee kicks it home. Also with Buffy flaunting it in midfield, it will be almost impossible for the opposition to take their eyes away from her footwork. And don't even get me started on SpiderMan's powers! I can say with some confidence that Microsoft will give any team a run for their money this year.

Gary > That's great news Mark, finally some real competition for us all at home. Now, I know who my money will be on, it has to be the odds-on favourites this year, Sony. Over to you, Mark....

SONY
----

Mark > It has been a brilliant few years for Sony. They have never lost form, despite all of the changes in the squad. This year we have a very impressive lineup from Sony HQ, and they should be in their usual form when we see them in their first game. Without further ado, here is the Sony first XI:

LB: Cloud Strife
LCB: Crash Bandicoot
RCB: Parappa the Rapper
RB: Lara Croft
LM: Red XIII
CM: Mat Hoffmann
RM: Shaun Palmer
LF: Tifa
CF: A net MD walkman
RF: Britney Spears

Gary > Looks to me like a dynamic, fully capable team Mark. But I couldn't help noticing considerable overlap between this and the Microsoft team, I mean, how can Tony Hawk play in two games at once?

Mark > Well, Gary, Tony Hawk can play in two places at once, because remember they ARE two different games, you see?

Gary > Ummm, OK, if you say so Mark. I couldn't help noticing the strong Final Fantasy VII theme all over the pitch either Mark, what is going on there?

Mark > Well, the Final Fantasy family have always provided quality players for Sony in the past. Arguably though, throughout the years, none of the upcoming bright new Final Fantasy players have come anywhere close to taking the crown from the VII gang. However, Cloud, Red, and Tifa seem to be getting a bit old for the game, and maybe it is about time younger models came into play. I can also speak for everyone when I say that I am deeply saddened to see Chocobo sit his first game on the bench. Maybe it is all the lack of love and care that it used to have in the old days of Final Fantasy. Choco wants his stable back Sony!

Gary > Mark, you certainly have taken that to heart somewhat. Finally though, why on earth did Sony replace Choco with a huge television at the front?

Mark > Funnily enough I am wondering the same thing Gary. Could this be the shape of things to come?

Gary > Well, with the front runners for the tournament put through their paces by Mark, all that remains is to list the fixtures for this years Console World Cup:

Round 1:

Sony v Atari
Microsoft v Commodore
Nintendo v Sega

Gary > So, any final words to say on the fixtures Mark?

Mark > To sum up, they should be thrilling games all round. Sony and Microsoft should have these games won, as Atari stopped real competition years ago, and Commodore seem to be working more in industry these days. However, the Nintendo and Sega clashdown should be the big game here. This has always been a game that the fans have loved to hate, and a clash between Sonic and Mario is inevitable. However, with the recent friendship that has been instilled on the two sides, is the past finally behind them?

Gary > Well, who knows Mark, all I can say is tune in, get ready, and be there for this years Console World Cup!
Thu 30/05/02 at 19:41
Regular
"ProGolfer"
I got to give it to you great little topic, nice idea.
Thu 30/05/02 at 19:18
Ahem, doublezero, so u would be lead to believe. Maybe the scratched DVD upfront signifies something deeper????
Thu 30/05/02 at 15:55
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Franny wrote:
> Solid Snake is far too sneaky for football.

---

Ah, yes, that explains it.
Thu 30/05/02 at 14:59
Regular
"cant think of one.."
Great post Fran!

However, i hear the Xbox team had some bad news.... It turns out everybody was expecting them to do great things. Only they just haven't lived up to the public's expectations! What looked so promising at first has proved to be a real let-down as the team crashes out to the all-conquering Nintendo and Sony teams.

Never mind, maybe they can play with the Dreamcast team?
Wed 29/05/02 at 21:09
Solid Snake is far too sneaky for football.
Wed 29/05/02 at 21:08
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Hoho.

Brilliant stuff!

But why didn't you have Solid Snake on the Sony team?

:-)
Wed 29/05/02 at 20:58
Thanks RM, um nice to see you won again, ur pretty good at this aren't u?
Wed 29/05/02 at 20:32
Regular
Brilliant Franny, and ata a respectable time too!
Wed 29/05/02 at 20:30
It's that time of year already folks, time to get ready for some international sporting action in this years Console World Cup. Now over to you, Mark, for a lowdown on the front-runners.

Mark > Thankyou, Gary, this is a joyous occasion for all the teams and fans involved. A lot of work has gone into making this the most memorable occasion this year.

Gary > So, who are the main contenders, Mark?

Mark > Ah right, well here we are, with the odds-on front runners in this years Console World Cup.........

Nintendo
--------

Mark > Miyamoto's Nintendo squad seem to have a promising squad this time around. Over the last few years we have seen Nintendo take a few pitfalls in morale, and with many injuries to note in the last few occasions, they haven't played their best. However, with many of their players returning from injury, and fighting fit, they will be a force to be reckoned with in the tournament.

Gary > So what is Miyamoto's first choice for the starting XI?

Mark > Miyamoto has put a lot of thought into his selection for the squad this year. So too he should, as he now has an abundance of players back in full 3D form. Here is the first XI:

GK: Donkey Kong
LB: Toad
LCB: Bowser
RCB: Wario
RB: Luigi
LM: Yoshi
CM: Princess Toadstool
RM: Kirby
LW: The Gamecube Handle
CF: Link
RW: Mario

Gary > Unusual choice to play Toad at the back isn't it Mark? He is usually an all-round pace player.

Mark > Very true Gary, but I can see Miyamoto's train of thought, with the rest of the competition focusing on large forwards, he saw only fit to equip the Nintendo first IX with a vertically-challenged defender. Perhaps he thought Toad could also hide the ball in his football-coloured toadstool head?

Gary > Interesting, but undoubtedly a highly illegal move, Mark. Also, this is the first time we have seen a handle take part in a football competition, Mark, how do you think the Gamecube handle will pan out against the lively opposition?

Mark > Again, with Miyamoto's past record of highly creative decisions, it would be hard to pick faults with this one. If he decides Nintendo wish to brand the match void, he need only shout a few words across the pitch to Mario, and he can run back, stab the handle into the pitch, and fly away with the entire stadium using his racoon-tail.

Gary > Very, very devious thinking Mark, but I'm sure not a tactic Nintendo will want to use, far too violent. What do you think the logic is behind placing Princess Toadstool in the middle?

Mark > Well, in the past we have only heard stories about the missing Princess. Usually she is far far away and needs a big masculine man to save her from her predicament. However, I believe it was Miyamoto's only option to play Princess in the middle to ensure Mario stays on the pitch for 90 minutes.

Gary > Thankyou, Mark, now on to the next squad, Microsoft......

Microsoft
---------

Gary > Subtle newcomers to the footballing / gaming world are Microsoft, but with huge corporate backing, surely they have more than enough power to take on the likes of Nintendo and Sony? Mark?

Mark > Well, it is agreeable that Microsoft have lots of money, but do they have the players? They certainly have the power, but do they have the assets? Questions undoubtedly raised by all the fans out there, but I have faith that the proposed Microsoft first XI will come through:

LB: Rapid 99
LCB: Max Payne
RCB: The XBox Pad
RB: Dave Mirra
LM: Buffy
CM: Spider-Man
RM: The Thing
LF: A scratched DVD disk
CF: The Master Chief
RF: Jann Lee

Gary > Mark, I have noticed that Microsoft seem to be intending to play Rapid 99 at the back. Now, Rapid 99 are a bunch of girls on skates, and surely this will tip the total players over 11 and constitute an illegal move?

Mark > Well Gary, this is perhaps something Microsoft have thought about, and I dare say they will follow the usual procedure when it comes to complaints. Say nothing on the phone, only accept emails and mail, then never respond to them (hush hush).

Gary > Very sneaky, now why have Microsoft decided to play a control pad at the back too?

Mark > Another good question Gary. Perhaps Microsoft have had a lot of complaints over the size of the pad, and decided to put it to good use on the field. It is not debatable that it will prove a valuable asset, it should stop most things in their tracks if the cross the pad's path.

Gary > An email just in asks 'Why on earth have Microsoft decided to place a scratched DVD up front, where all the action is?'

Mark > I don't think there is a right or wrong answer I can give that fella. The only justification I can give is that Microsoft have installed Japanese XBox's to provide the entertainment at Microsoft's home stadium, and one of them accidently fell out of the drive. The manager, Billy Gates, informs us that, mistake or no mistake, the scratched DVD will be the best performer at this years competition, or your money back....

Gary > A secret weapon, huh?

Mark > Maybe Gary, Maybe. However, I don't think Microsoft will need any 'secret weapons' with perhaps the two best newcomers in the upfront position. The Master Chief should be able to keep the keeper busy while Jann Lee kicks it home. Also with Buffy flaunting it in midfield, it will be almost impossible for the opposition to take their eyes away from her footwork. And don't even get me started on SpiderMan's powers! I can say with some confidence that Microsoft will give any team a run for their money this year.

Gary > That's great news Mark, finally some real competition for us all at home. Now, I know who my money will be on, it has to be the odds-on favourites this year, Sony. Over to you, Mark....

SONY
----

Mark > It has been a brilliant few years for Sony. They have never lost form, despite all of the changes in the squad. This year we have a very impressive lineup from Sony HQ, and they should be in their usual form when we see them in their first game. Without further ado, here is the Sony first XI:

LB: Cloud Strife
LCB: Crash Bandicoot
RCB: Parappa the Rapper
RB: Lara Croft
LM: Red XIII
CM: Mat Hoffmann
RM: Shaun Palmer
LF: Tifa
CF: A net MD walkman
RF: Britney Spears

Gary > Looks to me like a dynamic, fully capable team Mark. But I couldn't help noticing considerable overlap between this and the Microsoft team, I mean, how can Tony Hawk play in two games at once?

Mark > Well, Gary, Tony Hawk can play in two places at once, because remember they ARE two different games, you see?

Gary > Ummm, OK, if you say so Mark. I couldn't help noticing the strong Final Fantasy VII theme all over the pitch either Mark, what is going on there?

Mark > Well, the Final Fantasy family have always provided quality players for Sony in the past. Arguably though, throughout the years, none of the upcoming bright new Final Fantasy players have come anywhere close to taking the crown from the VII gang. However, Cloud, Red, and Tifa seem to be getting a bit old for the game, and maybe it is about time younger models came into play. I can also speak for everyone when I say that I am deeply saddened to see Chocobo sit his first game on the bench. Maybe it is all the lack of love and care that it used to have in the old days of Final Fantasy. Choco wants his stable back Sony!

Gary > Mark, you certainly have taken that to heart somewhat. Finally though, why on earth did Sony replace Choco with a huge television at the front?

Mark > Funnily enough I am wondering the same thing Gary. Could this be the shape of things to come?

Gary > Well, with the front runners for the tournament put through their paces by Mark, all that remains is to list the fixtures for this years Console World Cup:

Round 1:

Sony v Atari
Microsoft v Commodore
Nintendo v Sega

Gary > So, any final words to say on the fixtures Mark?

Mark > To sum up, they should be thrilling games all round. Sony and Microsoft should have these games won, as Atari stopped real competition years ago, and Commodore seem to be working more in industry these days. However, the Nintendo and Sega clashdown should be the big game here. This has always been a game that the fans have loved to hate, and a clash between Sonic and Mario is inevitable. However, with the recent friendship that has been instilled on the two sides, is the past finally behind them?

Gary > Well, who knows Mark, all I can say is tune in, get ready, and be there for this years Console World Cup!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.